Got ALL FUNKED UP yesterday

mark1101

[:D] It was a great day. The resident forum funk doctor paid a visit and brought some goodies........a traveling cache of his premium funk CDs and his McIntosh 250 power amp. Of course I am talking about forum member JWC. We have made reciprocal visits to one anothers homes a few times and it was nice to see JC able to make the trip over to Athens for an afternoon of Klipsch, tunes, and catching up.

We jumped right into the JC's funk music CDs which I really do not know much about the artists nor tunes but the place was rockin' all afternoon. In fact I hadn't heard my system pump out tunes like that ever. It's always nice to listen to someone else's music every now and then to get a little variety and even an education.

I learned a few things. I like the song called "Chocolate City"........and of course we did play some well known favorites like "Brick House" and such. At one point I asked JC if he wanted me to move some furntiture so he could do some break dancing [:D] But he was happy just playing DJ and fooling with my system.

The very first thing I asked was.......well......what do you think? I received what I would consider a pretty good report card. We needed to break out the RTA measurements and run some curves and we did make some slight EQ adjustments to bring vocals more forward and improve bass balance. Always a great idea to get some extra ears and brains into the mix.

The system we were listening to is listed in my system profile so I can save some typing (all tubes). The best part of the afternoon was when we introduced the Mac 250, an older but perfectly operating s/s 50wpc amp. I can't say enough about what I would call a match made in heaven when connected to my Peach. What a combination. When we had those funk tunes cranked up and I just never heard my system sound like that. I didn't even know it could do "that". Very pleasing. Tighter, cleaner, authoritative bass, crystal clear highs, and imaging to what I would certainly call an audophile level coming from my cinema speakers. I really just never heard it do that before to that level.

I had just got my Peach back from Mark D. last week with the 6H30 upgrade installed, and I had just retubed my Jolida CDP at the same time as well. Everything was fresh and strong and I'm pretty much at a loss for words trying to describe the Peach/Mac 250 combo. I have had some "wrong" amps come through here is probably a good way to put it, because you know when you hear what a really good combo sounds like and how effortless it can be. I think my TAD drivers are also a key part since I am just running simple passive ESNs and 2-way speakers. The MWMs and the K402/TADs together simply kick butt with the drving equipment we were using.

Now I know what "less is more" can mean. I got an important lesson in "synergy".

So to all the Peach owners who may not already know about this combo.........by all means take note of it, you'll like it. Mac 250.........YUP.

Anyhow, I had a really fun afternoon with JC and all those funking tunes we listened to. [:D]

Thanks for another great forum get together buddy. [Y]

I have a MC2100/Peach combo hooked up to my Lascala's now. I used to have it hooked up to a MC250, which I have upstairs now. I can attest to how great it sounds. It's hard to believe what a fifty or one hundred watt amp can put out through great speakers. My friends think you need megawatts for great sound. I just shake my head.

Tom

Yep...we listened to some funk on the MWM's...the two deserve each other.

Mark's sytem sounds great. I wouldn't change a thing. Dead quiet.....great detail and absolutely no fatigue.

MWM's in the house is recent fad. I do beleive it will become more popular if one doesn't mind there size. Mark....has the best sounding fully horn loaded system I've heard yet. It is Two way with MWM's!

I've expressed this before....the vintage MAC SS from the late 60's and early 70's sound very good on horns. I bought an MC250 awhile back and had Terry Dewick bring it back to factory spec. These amps have no lights or meters.......not even a power switch. They are tough and don't get hot.

I was floored when I heard this thing. I compared it to the modern MAC ss MC252 and MC275 tube (yes a new one). Weird enough...the 250 was better than the 275. Now it was about the same liking as the 252 as they had different strengths. The 250 is wasrm and will never fatique you. Great midbass from that amp. The 252 was with more impact and a little more detail....but at times...not much...would have a little fatique.

The 250 matched up perfectly with the peach when I had it.

I bought another one and sent it to Dewick. It sounded identical to my other one.....

So I'm hoping in the future...I'm gonna try out some of the amps from that era.

jc

MC 50 Mono.

ELECTRICAL: 50w. Response 20-20kHz (+0 -0.25dB). Distortion 0.25%. Noise and hum -90dB. Output impedance 4, 8 and 16 ohms. Damping factor 17. Input impedance 200k. Input sensitivity 0.5v. Sentry Monitor.

MECHANICAL: Chrome chassis. Output barrier strip. Audio input. Gain control. AC outlet. Fuse.

Size 5-1/2"H, 8"W and 12-1/2"D. Weight 20 lb. Sold from 1969-1970. Last retail price $199.00

MC 100 Mono.

ELECTRICAL: 100w. Response 20-20kHz (+0 -0.25dB). Distortion 0.2%. Noise and hum -90dB. Output impedance 4, 8 and 16 ohms. Damping factor 12. Input impedance 200k. Input sensitivity 0.5v. Sentry Monitor.

MECHANICAL: Chrome chassis. Output barrier strip. Audio input. Gain control. AC outlet. Fuse.

Size 6-1/2"H, 9-1/4"W and 14-3/4"D. Weight 32 lb. Sold from 1970-1973. Last retail price $299.00

MC 250

ELECTRICAL: 50w/ch stereo. 100w mono. Response 20-20kHz (+0 -0.25dB). Distortion 0.25%. Noise and hum -90dB. Output impedance 4, 8 and 16 ohms (2, 4 and 8 ohms mono). Damping factor 10. Input impedance 200k. Input sensitivity 0.5v. Sentry Monitor.

MECHANICAL: Chrome chassis. Output barrier strips. Audio inputs. Gain controls. Mono-stereo switch. AC outlet. Circuit breaker. Output socket.

Size 7-1/16"H, 10-5/8"W and 15-5/8"D. Weight 35 lb. Sold from 1967-1979. Last retail price $429.00

MC 2100

ELECTRICAL: 105w/ch stereo. 210w mono. Response 20-20kHz (+0 -0.25dB). Distortion 0.25%. Noise and hum -90dB. Output impedance 4, 8 and 16 ohms (2, 4 and 8 ohms mono). Damping factor 11. Input impedance 200k. Input sensitivity 0.5v. Sentry Monitor.

MECHANICAL: Chrome chassis. Output barrier strips. Audio inputs. Gain controls. Mono-stereo switch. AC outlet. Fuse. Output socket.

Size 7-3/4"H, 11-3/4"W and 17"D. Weight 57 lb. Sold from 1969-1977. Last retail price $599.00

MC 2300 Stereo Power Amplifier

ELECTRICAL: 300w/ch. (600w mono). Response 20-20kHz (+0 -0.5dB). Distortion 0.25%. Noise and hum -90dB. Output impedance 0.5, 1, 2, 4, 8 and 16 ohms. (0.25, 0.5, 1, 2, 4 and 8 ohms in mono). Damping factor 14 or greater. Input impedance 200k. Input sensitivity 0.5v. Sentry Monitor.

FRONT PANEL: Anodized gold and black panel. Power level (meters read +3 at 300w). Gain controls. Meter range sw: -20, -10, 0, and off. Power sw: on or off. Handles.

BACK PANEL: Output barrier strips. Audio inputs. Mode sw: stereo or mono. Circuit breaker. Dual cooling fans.

Size 19" rack mounting. 10-1/2"H and 17"D. Weight 128 lb Sold from 1971-1980. Last retail price $1799.00

JC, Thanks for the kind comments. I really value someone like yourself saying it is the best fully horn loaded system they have heard to date. It means a lot. [8-|]

I need to fight the temptation to make changes......even though changes are what's exciting about the audio hobby.

I have said before how happy I have been with the combination I am running now. Saturday got me another step up the ladder. Not sure how many more steps there may be for this set of speakers to sound even better. But I am just really happy how things have worked out so far.

This has been discussed before about the input impedances of the above mentioned amps. There is something to that combined with JMA preamps. The low damping factor will fool you too. very good bass.

I've discussed this on the AudioKarma Mac forum. Seems there have been people who have done the 240 comparison with the 250. Some actually thought the 250 was warmer....had better bass. Seems I recall a few stating the soundstage was better on the 240.

jc

I thought the same thing when we first hooked up the MC250. 50wpc........what could this do? I was already using a 60wpc tube amp. I found the MC250 and Peach to just team up and disappear. There was plenty of power for what you see in my avatar (the pair)...........in a 17x26 room, not a theater.

I thought the same thing when we first hooked up the MC250. 50wpc........what could this do? I was already using a 60wpc tube amp. I found the MC250 and Peach to just team up and disappear. There was plenty of power for what you see in my avatar (the pair)...........in a 17x26 room, not a theater.

I might have to make another trip through Ga. [8-|]

Sounds like a great getogether. Big fan of the da funk, and sorely disappointed to see the Captain of the Spaceship, himself, the Godfather of Funk, George Clinton, participating in a reality show, on, of all places, a country music channel.

May the Sisters of Funkenstein render him. Bootsie, where were you when he needed advice?

Wish I owned more funk, so I could drown out the disappointment.

To answer Mark Deneen.

Mark that is a great question that I honestly do not know the answer to. I sure found that the higher powered amps I have tried lacked the detail I require so they got otta here in short order. Of course I haven't tried too many of those. I've seen some posts that show the mathematics of dynamics and that hundreds of watts are required to properly address a bass peak without clipping. Are those examples possibly true? Maybe we listen to the full power of our amps for an instant every once in a while never knowing it. I could not even guess how many watts I actually use. Probably not manyeven at the listening levels I use.

A couple of guys brought in their 3 watt SET amps. That was certainly not for me. No guts at all. Lots of distortion when I tried to get to my listening levels. So I need more than 3.

I sold a few Scott integrateds due to lack of power. The most powerful one was around 20 watts. I kept one that puts out 35 but it barely gets the job done IMHO. I use it in a second system.

I was satisfied with the 60 watt tube amps I have used. Those never had me wanting for more. So maybe that is my low end threshold now that I think about it. The VRDs had enough. This VTA-120 I have has enough.

The MC 250 gets the job done as well.

OK, so I may prefer 50-60 wpc amps. How much do I use? I haven't a clue.

I wish I knew absolutely what the useable threshold was. That would be cool to know and eliminate some senseless shopping.

A couple of guys brought in their 3 watt SET amps. That was certainly not for me. No guts at all.

At least you're not talkin' about me... I haven't been there. [;)]

The MC240 is only a 40watt amp. mcintoshaudio.com has some MC250s for $650 and up. Seems like a good deal to me.

Bruce