Tubes........ Have i lost my mind??????????????

winchester21

Just got my Mac c34v back from a minor problem- button lit up when not deployed- spray cleaner fixed it. Listening to my 2 ch setup- mac 2105/c34v- k norns- jolida CD at about 95-100 db accoring to Bruce's radio shack meter and d--- does it get any better????? Great bass- wonderful highs- killer mids- room is like a headphone. Freaking unbelievable. Not much cash invested- Forum brothers hooked me up big time on most of this stuff -prety much lucked out and stole the rest.

So now - not being one to leave well enough alone- I have dived head first into the tube trap. I have a Peach 2 and a tercel in transit in as we speak- one of the last ones that Mark will ever make acording to him. I have committed to several sets of 300B tube amps. I will be into this little expeirment for well north of 5 grand after its all said and done. Go ahead and laugh. I deserve it.. Please tell me that I am going in the right direction. One of the tube setups is below 10 watts and the other is around 20 WPC. Another pair is about 25 per side. All are SET. Until I get them would rather not devulge the brands.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks bud- These SS macs are scaring me to death over this decision- they just sound better and better.

looking at a 3 part 2 ch system-SS 105 WPC Mac for jamming- 20 watt tube system for general use- TT and maybe CD- and a 8 watt tube system for TT vocals and jazz

yeah I am nuts.

I have no freaking idea where this stuff will go in my room.

just shoot me and get it over with

I'm so glad you posted this so I could show my wife. Makes me look pretty good[:D]

Just got my Mac c34v back from a minor problem- button lit up when not deployed- spray cleaner fixed it. Listening to my 2 ch setup- mac 2105/c34v- k norns- jolida CD at about 95-100 db accoring to Bruce's radio shack meter and d--- does it get any better????? Great bass- wonderful highs- killer mids- room is like a headphone. Freaking unbelievable. Not much cash invested- Forum brothers hooked me up big time on most of this stuff -prety much lucked out and stole the rest.

So now - not being one to leave well enough alone- I have dived head first into the tube trap. I have a Peach 2 and a tercel in transit in as we speak- one of the last ones that Mark will ever make acording to him. I have committed to several sets of 300B tube amps. I will be into this little expeirment for well north of 5 grand after its all said and done. Go ahead and laugh. I deserve it.. Please tell me that I am going in the right direction. One of the tube setups is below 10 watts and the other is around 20 WPC. Another pair is about 25 per side. All are SET. Until I get them would rather not devulge the brands.

"And they're coming to take me away, away, they're coming to take me away, haha hehe, to the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time and people sit and twiddle their thumbs and toes, and they're coming to take me away..."

Dave

Someone's spending the kids inheritance [:D][:D][:D]

A lot of us have been in your shoes.....the bug bites hard!!! Just try to enjoy what you get and enjoy the music that they make.....there is always another upgrade to be made and at some point you just got to say, " it's not going to get to much better than this"

can't wait to hear your reviews of all the new goodies!!!! Enjoy the heck out of them....." I think you will be very impressed with the JM gear"

I'd say that's a BIG NO.

You're just getting started. Many of us here have "multiple" systems/setup. When you start building specialized rooms around the components or designing your home around it, then, you can claim you have lost your mind and are a certified crazy. "I may be $#@%ing crazy, but I'm crazier than you are!" is the way I like to think of it. [*-)]

The more recent MAC SS stuff really does sound pretty good, doesn't it? I'm looking for a MC7205 myself.

I'd say that's a BIG NO.

You're just getting started. Many of us here have "multiple" systems/setup. When you start building specialized rooms around the components or designing your home around it, then, you can claim you have lost your mind and are a certified crazy. "I may be $#@%ing crazy, but I'm crazier than you are!" is the way I like to think of it. Confused

The more recent MAC SS stuff really does sound pretty good, doesn't it? I'm looking for a MC7205 myself.

I bought a house last year. The first I bought. "Can I have perfect corners for my K-Horns?" That was my first look into the living room. And , well the walls have to be taken out and rebuilt, but it's all possible... And will be done.... No the girlfiend left at an earlier stage. I still wonder why? [*-)]

Like Artto said, that's a big NO. I'd say you're still fairly sane.

We bought a 3200 sq ft 2nd home near the beach because one of the upstairs bedrooms had perfect 16 ft corners. We plan to retire there some day.

Enjoy your new toys. Sell what you don't like....assuming there's something there you don't like of course.

CB- you have a new set of Cornsaclas- a great set of Belles and a Mac 275...... and you want MY LEFTOVERS????????.. LMAO... last time I checked.. 4 of my speakers and my main 2 ch amp were YOUR left overs... HA HA HA thats a good one. I am still waiting on you to get tired of the 275. I think it's time for you to upgrade - hint hint. JK

A N -The 275 has my ear beacuse I have heard several. The power attracts me. To me they sound good when cranked up with the doors open but warm and nice at normal voume listening levels. I know it will do what I want- there may be somehing else that does it better- I see a lot of stuff for sale with the comment" need more power" as reason for selling. With that in mind- I want one set of tubes/ TT setup for the sweet spot in my listening area where 8-10 watts would be fine. The 2nd set for CD listening needs to be something that sounds good 2 rooms down when guests come over or I am wandering around the house doing other things.I have had other forum members warn me of "volume issues" with these audiophile tube amps( for setup # 2) as I like to play my k horns pretty loud at times.

I have not heard the VRDs but they are well respected on this forum. Would love to hear a pair I thought hard about the set of VRDs you are talking about- was not in a position to buy at the time. I plan to roll thru as much stuff as possible to find what I am looking for. After listening to some diferent stuff I may change my view completely on the 275. I have personally owned ZERO tube amps to date. Learning.

I believe you were the one who told me to sell my reference stuff and buy all Heritage for HT back in Dec. You were exactly right on that one.

Forget the Mac 275. Go get those VRDs from Audiogon that were listed here in Garage Sale.

I saw those for sale. Sure shows the economy slows peoples buying habits in a big way. The would have sold in less than 48 hours a year ago.

Those that think a tube amp has to be less than 5 or 10 watts to sound musical have never heard VRDs.

I saw those for sale. Sure shows the economy slows peoples buying habits in a big way. The would have sold in less than 48 hours a year ago.

Those that think a tube amp has to be less than 5 or 10 watts to sound musical have never heard VRDs.

I thought the same thing. VRDs for $1650 is seriously CHEAP for what they are capable of. It's TOO cheap for an item that's anything BUT. I think they are worth every bit of 3K - a BARGAIN in the audio world at 3K.

I would favor VRDs over a Mac 275 for many reasons (and I don't dislike or seek to speak bad of Mac amps in any fashion - I own many Mac amps myself):

1. TUBE RECTIFICATION: This one is big for me, in all the little ways it matters on horns. There's something about how tube rectified amps and preamps "handle" the inner details and release of the notes as heard on the speakers. It's the lack of "brittle" and those ubersmooth natural inner details....what you DON'T hear that counts. It's a little thing that makes a big difference over time, and a contributing factor in the musicality that the oft percieved "brawny" VRDs deliver. Yes, they are bigger than many feel necessary (isn't 10 watts enough?), but if you can do 60, why not?

2. Manual Bias: You can get the bias current just exactly perfect on VRDs. Trust me on this one: Not all tube sets will sound exactly the same in auto bias amps like MC-30, even if they are the same tube! I've done experiments in my MC-30s to compare matched vs. mismatched tubes, as well as differences in low vs. high current draw pairs. They DON'T sound exactly the same, because the bias isn't optimal. Good enough to play music, but not just exactly perfect and therefore as good as it CAN be. With manual bias, your tubes and sound will be set up the best it can be.

3. Simplicity of the circuit: Yes, Craig could have made more power with the VRDs but sacrificed some simplicity of the circuit. I find the clarity PHENOMENAL in a gear of that power capability. And while Craig doesn't push this concept much, I will - I think caps and front end tubes really make a difference on VRDs, especially where it really matters - in those subtle details that take a good piece of gear and make it a great one. Yes, I was sold on VRDs with stock tube complement, but once I did the upgrades found another level of performance that reinforces itself every time I listen. If you are using VRDs on big Heritage, it's hard to imagine it not being enough power, unless you are recreating Van Halen at the International Ampitheater. VRDs get loud on big Heritage, and they are CLEAN while doing so - and they grip that woofer tight. They can do "ballet", then they will knock you out!

I also find VRDs to be pretty reasonable in "worst case scenarios" like tube failure. I've had the misfortune of losing a couple output tubes and rectifiers (both current production) but it didn't make me have to send the amps back in to have resistors replaced and such. As with all tube gears there are tube sets/brands they seem happy with, VRDs being no different.

I think it's worth mentioning that Craig built the VRDs especially for us horn users who wanted these specific traits and capabilities. Aside from a few vintage options there wasn't much out there in push pull that satisfied us hornies' needs for the cleanest performance possible. So Craig custom built a solution for us. If you look around and try to find a more conventional solution from a mainstream audio company, you'll find pieces of this solution missing. That's why you are HERE.

If one were amassing a stable of amplifiers for use with Heritage I would be negligent if I did NOT point out these things. I can visualize a couple/three different approaches, some triode or "bloom" oriented like my MC30s, some POWER. And with that VRD power, you get the other good stuff too. Warm, clear, liquid, authoritative. It's what Heritage wants. I "get" the benefits of several amp approaches on Heritage, and VRDs make a great choice as one of those solutions. Take a pair of VRDs with high end caps and front end tubes and just try to pick 'em apart. I DARE you[:D]

Hooked up the Tubemagic 300Bs. First piece of the puzzle. This could easily be my MAIN 2 ch amp. Even through the lowly C34 v Mac the sound is nothing short of phenominal. Can't wait to hear it through the Peach II which wil be here friday or next monday.

I am chasing down some minor hum problems but this-- even with the SS pre--- is pretty close to the Holy grail.

Tubes???? OK I get it.

I'm kind of shocked that pair has not sold especially when I have received 3 orders for new pairs in the last month or so. Then also factor in because of rising cost of components I was forced to raise the MSRP to $3199 for a pair recently ($2799 for forum members and previous customers)............$1650 is an absolute steel even if they are 4+ years old... Not much beyond tubes and tube socket cleaning to go wrong with those amps. I have yet to perform a repair beyond someone breaking the epoxied in place bias controls loose from the chassis on any of the nearly 100 pairs of VRD's built.... Totally reliable amps.