How big is your sweet spot?

I just assumed that your looking at about a love seat width at best. I know when I am listening alone, I always make sure I am sitting in right the middle of the main speakers. I can easily tell when I am off to one side.

Trimmed or un-trimmed?

For 2- channel it is seating for one.

When my gf is over and wants to listen also I do have to say that she gets the sweet spot. But since she doesn't listen to a lot of 2-channel stuff with me, maybe a few hours every week, I still have to best spot plus I get to listen by myself....

James

I just assumed that your looking at about a love seat width at best. I know when I am listening alone, I always make sure I am sitting in right the middle of the main speakers. I can easily tell when I am off to one side.

I can tell when I'm off by a few inches.

• Moderators

" How big is your sweet spot?

"

I can tell when I'm off by a few inches.

[:o]

I bet Amy is watching this thread knowing were going to mess up, especially being started by JB ! [Y]

All kidding aside, and trust me when I say I almost DIVED in there, but we had a relatively serious conversation regarding this up in the CB's place this past weekend.

I thought less of my system because I could not get more than +/- 6" lateral or 3' fore and aft (that be a sailor term, fore & aft). Talking to the more experienced folk at the get together, I gather that the sweet spot is rather small. Now in all ways but audio this might be a good thing but I have always wanted to increase the lateral so that another person (or 3) could hear it 'right'.

Since making the changes from pretty nice vintage high wattage Onkyo seperates w/Chorus IIs to the current Pro_Ject RM5SE and modded Jolida CD > Tercel >Peach > SS McIntosh > Crites Belles I have realized an increase in the quality of sound on the side of the sweet spot but not that much (quality drop off is more gradual but still very limited in lateral). MY SPOT is most definitely sounding better.

I would to think my system is 'upper middle class' and if anything I would like to mellow the highs and thus thinking tubes. I can not afford to lose any bass and therefore thinking bi-amp SS on the bottom and tubes on the top. Fun to try? Yep. Expensive? Yes. Have I the knowledge to achieve? No. Do I think I will help the sweet spot? Yes I do, but not at the cost vs quality I have achieved so far. Do I think it will increase the size of the sweet spot? No

After asking myself the above I have but size room to try. While this might be feasible for the most at any given time, I find myself in a situation where I might have some input to room size. Unfortunately, after listening to the room sizes vs. sweet spot from the boys these weekend I just don't know, seems everyones sweet spot is narrow.

I have just spewed what little I have learned in the last 2 years after buying and 'upgrading' since 1975.

Well......I hate to brag but my sweet spots pretty big compared to some....I'd say 12 inches either way.

Regarding audio, mine probably covers a couple feet left and right. I have my LS aimed to converge slightly behind me, which works ok for me.

Mine is fairly tight as well, I would think a too big of a sweet spot would be a bad thing, that that the stereo image and sound stage would suffer if you could not hear a difference between moving your head a few inches in 2 channel listening, anyway thats my thought process.