OK fess up who bought speakers that were too big for the house?

russ69

Before I bought Khorns, I answered a classified for a pr of Altec VOTTs. The old gent even helped me load them on his truck and followed me to my house. After he'd driven off, I realized that they were too big to fit through an opening to the hallway. Back then, I depended on getting my audio finds into the basement before the wife came home. I figured once in the basement, she wouldn't notice for a few weeks and I'd have worked up a great story/excuse by then. No such luck that day as the VOTTs were as big as life in the living room when she walked in the door. Luckily, she was more amused than angry when she heard the story and I think she found some relief in the fact that the house would physically limit the size of toys I could bring home in the future.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always interested in the look on people's faces when they cross the threshold into our den, after I mention our Jubs to them. Initially I think that people really don't see them--sort of like blotting out those traumatic moments of great embarrassment or terror.

They sometimes ask where they are, then when I point them out ("big as Dallas") - they invariably do a double-take then stare for a moment, at least until they think of something pleasant to say, and that often takes a while. You can see fleeting moments of disgust etched into their faces, then they find their diplomatic face to put on. "oh, well...I..."

Sometimes they just keep their eyebrows furrowed for the duration of staring at them, while they ask the question "where did you find those?...".

;-}

Chris

PS: It's probably good that the ceiling where they reside is 10' high - otherwise I think that I would never be able to play Hitchcock movies or the Twilight Zone while there was enough light in the room to see them -- it would be too scary...

I'm always interested in the look on people's faces when they cross the threshold into our den, after I mention our Jubs to them. Initially I think that people really don't see them--sort of like blotting out those traumatic moments of great embarrassment or terror.

They sometimes ask where they are, then when I point them out ("big as Dallas") - they invariably do a double-take then stare for a moment, at least until they think of something pleasant to say, and that often takes a while. You can see fleeting moments of disgust etched into their faces, then they find their diplomatic face to put on. "oh, well...I..."

Sometimes they just keep their eyebrows furrowed for the duration of staring at them, while they ask the question "where did you find those?...".

;-}

Chris

Probably cause they are so freaking huge people just think they are part of the structure of the house. I know I would.

I just have the 5.1 Reference set (RF-7s etc.) so when compared to some of the heritage stuff my stuff is fairly small. That said they are certainly a commanding presence in the room (even when quietWink). As for whether or not they are to big for the room...That depends on who you ask (me or the wife) and when you ask.

Same here. I just have the Rx-7 reference set in a 6.1 configuration (RF-7, RS-7, RC-7, as well as pair of RF-5s thrown in for good measure, not to mention the REL Storm III sub and RW-12d subs) , but this is all in a 15 x 14 foot room. I figured even that was going to be to much speaker for that room.

But like was said - I guess it depends on who you ask. I am certain people will think my RF-7 reference set would be to big for the room, but then I see others who manage to cram a pair of K-Horns and a LaScala in a room smaller than mine! I would love to put a pair of KHorns in this room, but I don't have two good corners for them.

Probably cause they are so freaking huge people just think they are part of the structure of the house. I know I would.

Maybe...

post-28404-13819466489332_thumb.jpg

It's actually not surprising. People tend to see what they expect to see. They expect to see speakers that are skinny and four feet tall, tops. Fridge-sized speakers just don't compute, so they don't register on their conscious mind. As well, yours are in the corners, which makes them almost "ignorable" at first glance.

Have you tried playing some music without pointing out the speakers first? That could also provide some amusing expressions. You could just say nothing, or... I can just hear it: "Listen to this and try to spot the speakers." "I don't see any speakers, just those black things. Holy Crap! Those are speakers!?!"

• Moderators

That 10' ceiling does make them appear a little shorter, the black speaker on the white wall is a little tough to try to make them blend in.

Looks good and I know it sounds great, you only live once enjoy yourself .......I like the strange look on peoples faces when they notice big speakers.

For Mothers day my neice came here and after about an hour she said, are they staying in here pointing to the speakers, I thought you were building them for the workshop ? I told her no they are for inside, I have a few more things to get and they will be working... Her next words were..when are we going to have a party ? [Y]

Nope... it was way in the past, when I was young and more stupid than now. The late '60s...Some blotter acid... I never had a bad time, though. Just intense.

My story would still be to say - don't try it! Those were different times, and it really is a different world out there now. It isn't worth the risk (wasn't then either), whether legal or not.

Too many may be more like it. Although some may think Khorns are too big (not me!). I've gotten rid of a few sets but still have enough that off the top of my head I couldn't say how many I have. At one point, I had four pairs of Khorns, La Scalas, Chorus IIs, Heresies, and 3 Belles just from the Klipsch line -- other brands were also represented -- for a total weight of over a ton (literally). I know there are others out there that are worse (or better, depending on your perspective). It does help to have an understanding spouse -- we just bought a new house and right now there are four Khorns and a Belle in our master bedroom (not connected). I just picked up a pair of RB-5s for the office last week and they are now the smallest speakers in the house.

A couple of months ago we had a cousin visiting. We were sitting in the family room and he pointed to the CF-4s and said "those are the biggest speakers I've ever seen." I then pointed to the Khorns sitting in the corner and said "those are bigger." To which he then said "THOSE ARE SPEAKERS????"