OK fess up who bought speakers that were too big for the house?

russ69

I had a pair of Altec VOTT A7 driven by a Sansui 9090 in my college dorm room.

I'm going to guess the room was about 12 x 14.

Many of the guys in the dorm had gone off to college with their first stereos. Boy were they pissed when they realized they couldn't even hear them above mine even when they were in their rooms with door closed.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a pic from our old house (moved about a year ago). The BassMaxx horn subs are 4 feet by 4 feet by 2 feet and use 18" McCauley drivers. Sadly these did not make it to the new house. I miss them they truly ROCKED the house.

htbm.jpg

• Moderators

Here is a pic from our old house (moved about a year ago). The BassMaxx horn subs are 4 feet by 4 feet by 2 feet and use 18" McCauley drivers. Sadly these did not make it to the new house. I miss them they truly ROCKED the house.

htbm.jpg

Now that's a music room ! [H]

• Moderators

And, look at my avatar. That is her standing by the top horn of the jubs.

The smile on her face, a bit of oh my goodness those really are big! The other part was her being happy that I was happy about them!

Paul

Paul you must be doing something right, [H] she bought them for you as a present !

htbm.jpg

Now that's a music room ! Cool

Thanks I enjoyed it, but as usual it is an ever evolving system. Here is what it looks like at the new house.

den110108.jpg

disregard the little system on the floor and the speakers on the stools, as they were only there for the audio meet I was having that day.

Don't look at me. I'm the poster boy for the 'honey, I'm not as bad as THIS guy!"

Won't fit in the Mancave[:'(] and sure won't fit in my workshedSurprise

those double stacked LSI's on wheels barely made it out my old 7' garage door. That's why the new shop has 8' high doors and 11' ceilings!

• 1 year later...

Those Jubilees look FANTASTIC. How do they sound? what are the specifications? wich drivers? x-over frequency? they look so impressive!!!

Way to ressurect an old thread to ask about Jubs! There are many Jub threads you could have picked from! [;)]

To answer the original thread, half the people that see Klipschorns ask why the wood stand is so big!

The house wasn't big enough, so I build an outbuilding to house this hobby. I thought 1700 ft2 would be enough. It isn't.

Ya, but everyone knows your not normal [;)]

I only say it because I don't have room for an outbuilding....

Hmm, Is there such thing as a double underpin...

Too big for the house? What a concept! Remember, this is the forum where several members have MCM1900s in their houses, or "little" TSCMs or Jubilees or Khorns, or tiny La Scalas.

"I know there was a pair of black La Scalas in this room somewhere. Where did they go?"

I have 5 Peavey SP-1 slightly bigger (and cheaper) than LaScalas for my center, side and rear 7.1 channels. I have an pseudo MCM "stack"made from "greatest hits" spare parts for R and L fronts, although I only have single MWM bins now instead of doubles, so I downsized a bit........but just got a bigger TV to make up for it.

Hmmm, let me see...Chorus II's in a studio apartment, Cornwall II's in a one bedroom apartment...nope, never too big. [;)]

Realistically the Cornwalls are too much speaker for my current apartment as the room runs lengthwise and so I sit around 7-8 feet away for the Cornies with them spread 9 feet apart. I barely scratch the surface of them and have probably never run more than 1 watt through them. They do however sound very good, even at my moderate listening levels. The Chorus II's out at the house do get more of a workout. [:)]