Would you ship internationally?

Coytee

Regarding selling a camera or a lens on Ebay (meaning, relatively small and easy to double/triple box)

Would you hesitate on selling something overseas? (Hong Kong, Europe, Finland)

I generally won't do it out of being lazy and feeling that in the event something goes wrong it might be a lot harder to clear up as contrasted with dealing with someone domestically.

Yes, I'm well aware I'm cutting out other potential buyers....however.... I contend I'm also cutting out other potential headaches. I'm realizing the headaches might be ghosts that I'm fabricating so I thought I'd ask for your opinion.

As a seller, would you freely ship overseas when using ebay, if so (or if not), why and what is your thought process?

One caveot.... for someone who's "in business" of some kind or another, this question might not apply to you because....well....you're 'in business'. I'm strictly referring to a personal transaction.

I used to say no,but then I sold a few Ebay things for absolute top dollar to Europe without incident. That kinda opened my mind to the idea. I sold a big heavy high dollar power inverter (this type used on big sailboats) to a guy in the Chez. Republic somewhere. It took a while for him to get it but in the end it all worked out. Sometimes folks across the pond will pay much more dinero than the state side attendance.

Wow... I will admit when I left earlier, I expected to come back to a bunch of posts telling me I was a dummy for not considering sending/selling overseas. No way would I have expected this many comments sharing my basic mind set.

Wow... I will admit when I left earlier, I expected to come back to a bunch of posts telling me I was a dummy for not considering sending/selling overseas. No way would I have expected this many comments sharing my basic mind set.

Well Coytee you got 5 people telling you NO, but offering no reason, and 2 sayin' yes and the reasons why.....I know from where I would take the advice...... Make me #3, I have never had a problem with 30 international transactions.

This should be irrelevant enough, but tangential....on a recent visit to the P.O., I sent a CD to friends in London, England and to an address near Nashville, Tennessee. I am in Birmingham, Alabama....and it was less expensive to send a CD to London than it was to Nashville...

As to international selling...it's according to how the money runs. E-bay and Pay-Pal are routinely problematic for some, foreign or domestic. With the advent of e-mail and VOIP telephony, the world has shrunk. As long as the USA remains a sovereign nation, it ought not be too problematic....which gives us at least to the first of the year the way things have been going lately...

I'll ship internationally...

I currently have a lens on the way to Austria. I had an offer on the lens from a fellow in Moldova but I decided not to do business with him.

BTW, I listed my photo gear on photo.net this time to avoid ebay fees.

• Like 1

Just trying to ship a few bulk speaker parts to Canada about a year ago via UPS and FedEx gave me fits. UPS pretty much laughed me out of their office and I had to go back to the FedEx office 4 times before we had any success. International shipments are treated very different from domestic and the customs declarations can be a major pain in the arse. Be certain you aren't the one who gets stuck paying the duties on items. Those should be paid by the recipient. Best of luck. -Glenn

I have shipped Ebay items several times to Europe without any problem. I use USPS as they are a lot cheaper than theUPS/Fedex. The Europeans love American stuff (at least American trombones, I am a trombone player) and pay top dollar. However the only time I had anything damaged was shipping to Finland. I would be reluctant to do business with former east european countries and cancelled a bid on a recent auction from Estonia though that is not based on much. I always make overseas buyers use Paypal so I know the money is in my account before shipping.