Read this before you buy ANY Emotiva product!!

wuzzzer

If anyone reading has ever even had the slightest inkling of buying an Emotiva product I have some advice you should heed:

BUY IT NOW!!

I just received an UPA-2 amp from forum member jhoak. This amp is Emotiva's least expensive, least powerful amp. 125 watts x 2 into 8 ohms. A paltry 15 watts per channel more than my Marantz receiver's rated output. I got everything hooked up tonight. My Marantz has a 12v trigger output and the Emotiva included the trigger cord. I know its not a huge deal but the convenience of not having to manually turn the amp on and off is very nice.

The first and only disc I have listened to so far is Pink Floyd's Echoes disc. I've listened to this disc dozens and dozens of times. I set the Marantz to Pure Direct, running only my Forte IIs full-range without a subwoofer. Immediately, immediately I could tell a huge difference in sound. Stereo separation is noticeably better, almost to the point of being a surround-sound type effect even though only my front speakers are working. Everything sounded smoother, from bass to treble. A few of the songs on the disc used to have sibilance at high volumes, not anymore.

I haven't balanced the amp with my other speakers yet, I have the gain control set to 1/2 of maximum for now just to test it out. I'll have to re-run Audyssey to get the speaker levels matched. Unfortunately I'm working so much that Sunday will probably be the soonest that I'll be able to really test it out.

Emotiva has a sale on everything that goes until the end of December. As I said before, if anyone has contemplated getting anything from them, do it. You will not regret it.

Sweet!! I'm happy for you. Any chance you can take a pic or two of the back of both units? I'm curious how your running the wires. So basically, your marantz 7001 is now your pre-amp? Are you just running cables from your marantz pre-out's to the inputs on the UPA? What cables are you using? I'm thinking about getting the same amp. Thanks for the recommendation.. I feel better about buying one now[Y]

The Marantz now only powers my surround speakers. I have a pair of older Monster RCA cables (I know, I know) running from the L + R pre-outs of the Marantz to the L + R inputs on the Emotiva. I turned the main speaker outputs off in the Marantz so that it knows there aren't any front main speakers hooked up to it.

Right now i have the Emotiva sitting on the floor behind my left Forte, behind my TV stand. I don't have enough room under my TV stand for it unless I completely re-do everything and I don't have the time or energy to do that. I'm too embarassed at the mess of cables to take pictures. What I'd love to get is a component rack so I can organize everything better.

Anyone know if there's a proper setting for the UPA-2's gain level? I have it 1/2 way up right now.

Congrats. I've only read about Emotiva but all very positive. And I like the design of their lower end preamp-processor of a year or two ago (hard not to pull the trigger when it was on sale) as it looked to have a very high wife acceptance factor. Very clean uncluttered front panel. Maybe a power switch. A volume control knob and a selector knob that one could also get into setup using center display / tv.

But once set up. Turn on. Select source. Recognize type of disc if DVD player and adjust accordingly even 2 channel for CD, 5.1 / 7.1 for DVD etc. Maybe even had some 2.1 bass management? But very simple and friendly looking. Geek that I am even thought I like this simple uncluttered lower end unit better than the bunch of knobs etc of the higher end from an aesthetics standpoint though a bunch of knobs are fun to twiddle and adjust. But sometimes the pretty much straight wire with gain minimalist controls is kind of appealing ya know?

[Y] Yes Emotiva is great, very nice products, good prices and great friendly customer service. I have had my XPA-3 for almost a year now and have been very happy with it. Emotiva also has a very friendly forum which is a lot like the Klipsch forum here.

You can find my complete review of the XPA-3 posted here on the Klipsch forum and also on the Emotiva's XPA-3 ad page reviews.

• Moderators

I believe jhoak is correct. Check out this thread. When I hooked up a QSC (265 watts/ch) to my speakers, I was hesitant to turn up the gain on the amp in fear of frying my speakers. I started out at 1/4 gain on the amp but what I found was that I was not getting any sound with the amp at 1/4 gain. Michael Hurd helped explain why this was happening. From what they suggested, turn the gain all the way up on the amp and then adjust volume on your receiver. It's not the same as turning your receiver wide open (which you do not want to do).

Wuzzzer,

Great to hear you are pleased with your purchase. Based on all consumer and professional reviews, it appears you can't go wrong with Emotiva. The things your Marantz does well, now just got better with the Emo.. The price you paid is pretty sweet also.

Bill

Why I had to get this amp on the week that I work the most hours (70+) is killing me. My wife went to bed about 5 minutes after I got home from work tonight. No chance to crank it up really loud yet. I guess I'll have to wait until Sunday.

I was able to listen to the Hotel California disc early this morning before my 8am workday. My wife went to work at 7am so I had a little alone time. This amp is absolutely incredible. I will eventually upgrade to an all Emotiva-based system. I want to get their new pre-amp so bad it isn't even funny. But, if I did that I'd need to get at least a UPA-5 amp to run my surrounds. Oh well, its only money, right?