Why Children Really Need To Move Out When They are 18+

I tried this but the princess got really pissed off at me.... Geesh! No sense of humor.....

Application for Permission to Date My Daughter

APPLICATION FOR PERMISSION TO DATE MY DAUGHTER

NOTE: This application will be incomplete and rejected unless
accompanied by a complete financial statement, job history, lineage,
and current medical report from your doctor.

NAME_____________________________________ DATE OF BIRTH_____________

HEIGHT___________ WEIGHT____________ IQ__________ GPA_____________

SOCIAL SECURITY #_________________ DRIVERS LICENSE #________________

BOY SCOUT RANK AND BADGES____________________________________________

HOME ADDRESS_______________________ CITY/STATE___________ ZIP______

Do you have parents? ___Yes ___No
Is one male and the other female? ___Yes ___No
If No, explain:

Number of years they have been married ______________________________

If less than your age, explain

ACCESSORIES SECTION:

A. Do you own or have access to a van? __Yes __No

B. A truck with oversized tires? __Yes __No

C. A waterbed? __Yes __No

D. A pickup with a mattress in the back? __Yes __No

E. A tattoo? __Yes __No

F. Do you have an earring, nose ring, __Yes __No
pierced tongue, pierced cheek or a belly button ring?

(IF YOU ANSWERED "YES" TO ANY OF THE ABOVE, DISCONTINUE APPLICATION
AND LEAVE PREMISES IMMEDIATELY. I SUGGEST RUNNING.)

ESSAY SECTION:

In 50 words or less, what does "LATE" mean to you?

In 50 words or less, what does "DON'T TOUCH MY DAUGHTER" mean to you?

In 50 words or less, what does "ABSTINENCE" mean to you?

REFERENCES SECTION:

Church you attend ___________________________________________________

How often you attend ________________________________________________

When would be the best time to interview your:

father? _____________

mother? _____________

pastor? _____________

SHORT-ANSWER SECTION:

Answer by filling in the blank. Please answer freely, all answers
are confidential.

A: If I were shot, the last place I would want shot would be:

B: If I were beaten, the last bone I would want broken is my:

C: A woman's place is in the:

D: The one thing I hope this application does not ask me about is:

E. What do you want to do IF you grow up? ___________________________

F. When I meet a girl, the thing I always notice about her first is:

F. What is the current going rate of a hotel room? __________________

I SWEAR THAT ALL INFORMATION SUPPLIED ABOVE IS TRUE AND CORRECT TO
THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE UNDER PENALTY OF DEATH, DISMEMBERMENT,
NATIVE AMERICAN ANT TORTURE, CRUCIFIXION, ELECTROCUTION, CHINESE
WATER TORTURE, RED HOT POKERS, AND HILLARY CLINTON KISS TORTURE.

_______________________________ ________________________________
Mother's Signature Father's Signature

_______________________________ ________________________________
Pastor/Priest/Rabbi State Representative/Congressman

Thank you for your interest, and it had better be genuine and
non-sexual. Please allow four to six years for processing.

You will be contacted in writing if you are approved. Please do
not try to call or write (since you probably can't, and it would
cause you injury). If your application is rejected, you will be
notified by two gentleman wearing white ties carrying violin cases.
(you might watch your back)

Marshall,

Are you a card carrying member of D.A.D.D. ???

Roger

College was great,,, Dad gave me a NASH,,, Most popular car on campus,,with fold down back seat... Girls asked ,,What are those notch,s on the window sill about??? All my buddys used to borrow the car,, Car smelled like soured beer..

Too funny, Maron! That put a smile on my face for a coooold monday morning. I owned a $50 Ford Prefect while in high school. That was a fun little car.

Bruce

All "funny" aside, my wife and I love our daughter and only want her to be happy. She tried college this last semester, but like her father (at the same age....) it just was not what she wanted at this time. All the good intentions by my wife (and me) to discourage the "I jus' wanna' get out and get a job" scenario were fruitless. As with me at that age, any arguments ofr discussions abot the merits of higher education were simply leading to serious resentment and "friction". Having the additional and very valuable life experience, also known as the University of Hardnocks degree.... I discussed the whole affair with my wife and she finally agreed that if that's what the princess wants to do, then fine, let her do it. Let her find out the hard way; let her discover that her peers who suffer through college for four years will make a ton of money more than here; and that every year she goofs off and does not get some kind of post high school education puts her just that further behind her peers. The princess has a hard head and is her own person (the genetic revenge...), and hopefully, that level of independence will cause her to eventually re-think the whole "Taco Bell" career move.....

Is she welcome home? Of course, any time; but unless she has a job and is willing to contribute to the household for food and utilities, it's gonna' be for a couple day visit. Alternative (which will be open until she is 24 years old) is move back, go to college full time, drive Daddy's truck on Daddy, and help out around the house.....

She absolutely (by nature and by choice) will not consider the military... We know her, her personality and the "quiet riot" obstruction of rules, regulations, etc that are associated with such a structured environment. She would really hate us.... and last about three weeks and be "asked to leave", resulting in a major permanent "blot" on her employment record. Too risky to press the matter, and after all these years of raising her, I am pretty confident that insisting that she head off to the military would be a major error on my part.

Tough love? You bet.

..She absolutely (by nature and by choice) will not consider the military... We know her, her personality and the "quiet riot" obstruction of rules, regulations, etc that are associated with such a structured environment. She would really hate us.... and last about three weeks and be "asked to leave", resulting in a major permanent "blot" on her employment record. Too risky to press the matter, and after all these years of raising her, I am pretty confident that insisting that she head off to the military would be a major error on my part...

Thanks for sharing this antidote...My Father graduated among the top of his class at West Point and prior to his death I asked him why he didn't entice me to follow a military career and this was his sentiment EXACTLY!

All "funny" aside, my wife and I love our daughter and only want her to be happy. She tried college this last semester, but like her father (at the same age....) it just was not what she wanted at this time. All the good intentions by my wife (and me) to discourage the "I jus' wanna' get out and get a job" scenario were fruitless. As with me at that age, any arguments ofr discussions abot the merits of higher education were simply leading to serious resentment and "friction". Having the additional and very valuable life experience, also known as the University of Hardnocks degree.... I discussed the whole affair with my wife and she finally agreed that if that's what the princess wants to do, then fine, let her do it. Let her find out the hard way; let her discover that her peers who suffer through college for four years will make a ton of money more than here; and that every year she goofs off and does not get some kind of post high school education puts her just that further behind her peers. The princess has a hard head and is her own person (the genetic revenge...), and hopefully, that level of independence will cause her to eventually re-think the whole "Taco Bell" career move.....

Is she welcome home? Of course, any time; but unless she has a job and is willing to contribute to the household for food and utilities, it's gonna' be for a couple day visit. Alternative (which will be open until she is 24 years old) is move back, go to college full time, drive Daddy's truck on Daddy, and help out around the house.....

She absolutely (by nature and by choice) will not consider the military... We know her, her personality and the "quiet riot" obstruction of rules, regulations, etc that are associated with such a structured environment. She would really hate us.... and last about three weeks and be "asked to leave", resulting in a major permanent "blot" on her employment record. Too risky to press the matter, and after all these years of raising her, I am pretty confident that insisting that she head off to the military would be a major error on my part.

Tough love? You bet.

Marshall,

Hopefully she will get it sooner then later, as I was the same way.

At least maybe your wife and you can sit down in a year and talk with her about progress she has made and where she hopes to be in 5 years, 10 year etc., a sort of self evaluation.

Back on the funny side, while I was down in Texas, I saw bumper stickers for D.A.D.D., Dads Against Daughters Dating. I did a Yahoo search and they sell several different shirts as well as bumper stickers. Note to self; order some.

Off of the funny, I hope she comes arround early for you and her own sake. She is obviously highly intelligent and needs to experience people who hardly have the I.Q. to screw in a light bulb and even less common sense, treat her as insignificant if only for the reason that they can, because they are the head burger flipper. I am sure you understand my sentiment on this.

One idea for you helping her in the future. I had to pay for my colledge and books by working, if I completed the class, and kept a GPA set by my parrents, they would reimburse me for that quarters tuition and books after the quarter was over and I could prove my GPA....

My sincere hope that this resolves in a very possitive fashion for the whole family...

Roger

this one struck home. I was 19 when i moved out ...college just wasn't my thing. It's been an interesting time since that moment with absolutely no regrets. I suffered through about 8 horrid years of I.T. ...not at all a fit for my personality, but it pays well and gave me the opportunity to learn the business ropes and the technical wherewithal to jump careers and do something I truly enjoy.

Some of my peers make more than me, and many more don't. Going through facebook I see all sorts of people with cool degrees working in call centers or low level corporate roles. and the joy of life sure doesn't seem to be there as much. I also married a smart and compassionate nurse, which helps keep things stress free. these days, im older and more mature and now able to see exactly what i want to go to school for ..and in another decade I hope to have my MBA.

your daughter sounds very similar to me at that age, and in that light ..I wouldn't have learned how to survive if I knew i could just move back and pay a few bills. my parents were always supportive and helped as they could, but a return trip home was never an option. having said all that ... my sister is now 20 and they are treating her differently, so there may be some sort of boy/girl factor I'm not quite calculating. either way, it sounds like you're spot on in the parenting department (which actually will evolve into more of a mentoring/friendship relationship as time goes on, which is a cool transition).

• Moderators

My friends daughter wanted to be a nurse like her mother so she went to school for about a year and decided it was to hard. She decided she would work for an ambulance company as an EMT. She thought it was great but after about a year of that she realized how hard and how dangerous it was for what she was being paid. She went back and finished school and is now an RN and makes about 5 times what she did as an EMT.

Sometimes working a hourly job is the best thing they can do, the first check is great and then the reality of how hard they have to work and what they have to put up with for that pay sets in. Also the cost just to survive compared to there check will get old real fast.

There is no reason to have them not talking to you over the right thing to do, they have to learn it themselves. For some reason kids always think there parents have no clue and have it easy compared to whats expected of them.

The older I get the more I understand why the big guy set it up for the younger of the species to have the kids. [;)]

I also somewhat understand why some animals eat ther kids ! [:|]

Though college does not teach very much unless you take certain classes, but essentially if you are savvy enough you can get the same education by going to your local library and about 10 dollars worth in late fees.

I agree that college and grad school are probably the most inefficient way of learning. If you are smart you can figure it out yourself. But, here I sit at 41 years old and I am really glad that I have my degrees, the state is really stingy about letting you have a professional license wihout one, go figure.

Though college does not teach very much unless you take certain classes, but essentially if you are savvy enough you can get the same education by going to your local library and about 10 dollars worth in late fees.

I agree that college and grad school are probably the most inefficient way of learning. If you are smart you can figure it out yourself. But, here I sit at 41 years old and I am really glad that I have my degrees, the state is really stingy about letting you have a professional license wihout one, go figure.

I look at college/ gradschool as a ways and means for keeping certain people from obtaining a job. Its very non indicative of a person's true abilities, same holds for getting into college (PSAT and SAT).

Maybe you have had the privilege of working with someone who did not have the proper education to do

job yet was getting paid allot more then you where, I have it sucks.

In general the education system works, If someone has an education and they show that they are able to

apply that education (some can't) then they should be compensated for it.

Yes, I have also worked with some brilliant people that have 20% of the education that I have and are

more proficient at what they do then I am, at the end of the day it lands on the lap of the employer to pay salaries

that creates some sense of fairness in their work place.

Don't get me started on the compensation of CEO's (this is a sore point).

I look at college/ gradschool as a ways and means for keeping certain people from obtaining a job. Its very non indicative of a person's true abilities, same holds for getting into college (PSAT and SAT).

It's not the best system and it is easy to criticize, but it will take someone much greater than me to fix it so I should not criticize too much.

I am the first person in my family to go to school and I got two professional degrees even though I hated school. That is the system and if you want the benefit you have to play the game, no matter how painful. And believe me, nobody felt bad for me when I left my house at 7:30 every morning and got home at 10:30 every night and studied all weekend. I had friends who thought that it was funy that I had to study all of the time while they were out partying.

My point to the OP, if possible, try to get her into college if possible. It is not too late even many years from now. I went back to school after several years off and toughed it out. I felt old, but now it is all way behind me and i'm just glad that I did it.

FWIW, my clients are all very wealthy and many did not go to school, but they are the exception to the rule.

Finally, be glad tat there is a system to weed people out. There are many who slip through who should not be doing their job. If the floodgates were opened we would all be in trouble. I think about this every time I see a doctor.

That is the system and if you want the benefit you have to play the game, no matter how painful. And believe me, nobody felt bad for me when I left my house at 7:30 every morning and got home at 10:30 every night and studied all weekend. I had friends who thought that it was funy that I had to study all of the time while they were out partying.

My point to the OP, if possible, try to get her into college if possible. It is not too late even many years from now. I went back to school after several years off and toughed it out. I felt old, but now it is all way behind me and i'm just glad that I did it.

True, and we'll call it Phase-4 of the University of Hard Knocks", when I realized in 1984 what was going to happen to me, and applied for the ROTC scholarships, transfer to the reserves, GI bill, etc. I knew that I would have to absolutely treat school as a full time job. And I did.

Phase-1: Graduated from HS in 1968 with undistinctive grades. Went to college for one year on the parental dime. He - Daddy - warned me, yes he did... "Unless it's mostly A's and few B's, I ain't payin' for it". Phase-2: I screwed around, did not pay attention, whatever one may call it, but learned my lesson well. Well, at the end of the year 1, with barely a 2.0 average, he picked me up and drove me straight to the draft office and made sure I changed my classification from "exempt - ROTC" to 3-A "highly qualified - ROTC experience - but too stupid to stay in school". My draft number really was "3"..... I lasted 2 weeks.... Phase-3.... Stupid and unqualified people telling me what to do, crap pay, awful food, very few toys,.... Well, that taught me the lesson I so dearly needed....

Well. the princess is now in phase 3..., but her departure was voluntary rather than a product of the times.... I would suspect she will decide that Phase-4 of the whole "education as it generally relates to how much money you have to spend on toys" will likely see a concerted effort on her part....

My daughter has decided to take the "bull by the horns" (or whatever the female equivalent may be...) and has moved up to Orlando. Her reasoning (and it's fair and valid...) is that Okeechobee's mall (Wal-mart), Fine dining establishments (Golden Corral or one of two often shut down by the health department chinese pit stops..), and other social enrichment opportunities just does not meet her requirements.

I thought Okeechobee had at least one respectable seafood establishment?

My daughter has decided to take the "bull by the horns" (or whatever the female equivalent may be...) and has moved up to Orlando. Her reasoning (and it's fair and valid...) is that Okeechobee's mall (Wal-mart), Fine dining establishments (Golden Corral or one of two often shut down by the health department chinese pit stops..), and other social enrichment opportunities just does not meet her requirements.

I thought Okeechobee had at least one respectable seafood establishment?

Not after they fired the cooks, waitresses, etc. etc. for various and sundry crimes against humanity (and bad service...). 17% unemployment in the County by one count, and there's still a help wanted sign at the entrance to Okeetantie where the "establishment" in question is located....