Last night i discovered...

Invidiosulus

That my cable between my CD player and my amp was backwards.

The little arrows marking the direction of the signal flow were going the wrong way so I swapped them around.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference but it gives me peace of mind which happens to be the name of the Iron Maiden album I've misplaced :(

-josh

Veloceleste said...

"I found that running the left channel cable flow reversed creates a phase shift that creates slightly more more air in the treble. However, not so much when running the right channel cable in reverse flow."

Phew!!... I was warned that doing this could cause the formation of a Black-hole......[*-)]

The "directional" cables just have the shield lifted on the end that is supposed to be receiving the signal. The idea is that any EMI currents get shunted back to the low impedance of the source device and don't get transmitted down stream.

If you don't have any noise in your system, then the side you connect the shield on doesn't matter.

So if I plug the cable in the wrong direction, electrons refuse to move? Or move sporadically? Or maybe unevenly, up and down all over the place? I didn't know that electrons can distinguish between the right and wrong direction.

The "directional" cables just have the shield lifted on the end that is supposed to be receiving the signal. The idea is that any EMI currents get shunted back to the low impedance of the source device and don't get transmitted down stream

Exactly. It has nothing to do with electron "flow" (sic) direction.

But not all manufacturers agree which end should be lifted, e.g., Siltech, who sees it the opposite of everyone else. I reversed all my I/C's once and couldn't tell a whit of difference in noise level.

The "directional" cables just have the shield lifted on the end that is supposed to be receiving the signal. The idea is that any EMI currents get shunted back to the low impedance of the source device and don't get transmitted down stream

Exactly. It has nothing to do with electron "flow" (sic) direction.

But not all manufacturers agree which end should be lifted, e.g., Siltech, who sees it the opposite of everyone else. I reversed all my I/C's once and couldn't tell a whit of difference in noise level.

Yep, boat dese giuse are wright. Au jus ual!

Audio is AC. It flows in both directions.

How do you figure that?

I'm running my CDP into the L/R jacks of the 6 channel input on my yamaha surround reciever.

Much less noise than using the CD input.

Most likely because it bypasses the DSP circuitry.

-Josh

So if I plug the cable in the wrong direction, electrons refuse to move? Or move sporadically? Or maybe unevenly, up and down all over the place? I didn't know that electrons can distinguish between the right and wrong direction.

Only if they can SEE the arrows![;)]

Dennie

Once upon a time on a planet far away I bought some new equipment from an "established" mod shop. While there I checked out their selection of cables and decided that since I was rebuilding my system, needed appearance matching cables as they would be showing and I would get a decent price combined with my purchase. I got to watch them build the interconnects to my required lengths and there was no shield lifting or any other magic, they simply slid the shrinkable boots over and shrunk them in place. I asked WTFO and was informed that the conductor would be trained over time and therefore be "better". The arrows were simply there for reference so that if and when I disconnected the cables I would know which went where so the cable would not have to re-learn the path to greatness.

The above story is true as told to me by the un-named manufacturer, except for rmy underlined cynisim.

I don't even pay attention to cables marking and didn't even know that there are arrows marking on them. I just plug the cables in and enjoy, never had any problem. Beside, I can't tell if there is any different as to which end of the cable I am suppose to plug in. [:D]

That my cable between my CD player and my amp was backwards.
The little arrows marking the direction of the signal flow were going the wrong way so I swapped them around.
I'm not sure if it makes a difference but it gives me peace of mind which happens to be the name of the Iron Maiden album I've misplaced :(
-josh

Yep putting this cable in backwards is necessary to hear those backward satanic messages in heavy metal music. [:P]