Will my Khorns EVER be dead "quiet" with tube gear?

Dylanl

...or...as someone afflicted by what you describe, I can just learn that "that's the way it is" and once I can get that clear in my head, I can dismiss it as a problem...thanks for the feedback guys...I realize I'm not the one who posted this question but I appreciate the answers...

Bill

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LarryC...I think it is something similar to what you describe with yours...when my gear has been back to their creators they checked quiet so I know it's at my place but it can be frustrating to the point that I don't enjoy this set up near as much as others...

Interesting -- the manufacturer of my amps thought he couldn't help with my noise, and he may have been right since a dimmer switch looks like the culprit. It probably put noise directly on the AC line. But, like you, the noise usually doesn't bother me when music is playing.

The good news is that not all types of dimmer switches do this.

Tom, what types of dimmer switches don't do that? I have a paddle switch for halogen lights with a sliding tab for dimming. I think the 6 track lights themselves each has a little transformer. Is there a different type of switch I can put in there?

Thanks --

I find this thread interesting. I can understand a listener's apprehension when hearing a slight hiss when music is not playing on a perfectly functioning amp. However if when the music plays using that amp that the quality of the amp causes the listener to be fully immersed in glory of the music, then really does it matter? It’s a good question and one that I have asked myself and have come to the conclusions in my limited experience is, the sound from the speaker is more important when music is playing then when its not, to a certain extent. Obviously we are not talking about an amp or any piece of equipment changing the noise floor, but a subtle/faint hiss. What I do find interesting is how some posters (in this thread) will defend the hiss for some amps but others are deemed as unacceptable for review. Makes ya wonder.

Well, I plan on picking up the cheater plugs tonight so, I will let you know if the noise level is lower. I did have a lot less noise with a SS Sony Pre in the front end. Very little hiss.

This erato is a beautiful preamp but I am just wondering if something is out of spec?? I also built my own Transcendant Audio Tube Pre and it has a slight hiss also. I believe however, its the Dynacos they always make noise and have never been quiet since the day I had them rebuilt.

Hey Jacksonbart...sometimes with Tube gear, once you turn it on, it stays on for an extended length of time because Tube gear doesn't usually like the on and off cycles (in comparison to SS which you could turn on and then off and change your mind and turn on again)...while doing other things and the system is idle, you might hear a zzzzzzz (and I'm not sleeping)...it makes you think something is wrong when your lesser Tube and speakers or SS and speakers don't seem to display this behavior...

Bill

I find this thread interesting. I can understand a listener's apprehension when hearing a slight hiss when music is not playing on a perfectly functioning amp. However if when the music plays using that amp that the quality of the amp causes the listener to be fully immersed in glory of the music, then really does it matter? It’s a good question and one that I have asked myself and have come to the conclusions in my limited experience is, the sound from the speaker is more important when music is playing then when its not, to a certain extent. Obviously we are not talking about an amp or any piece of equipment changing the noise floor, but a subtle/faint hiss. What I do find interesting is how some posters (in this thread) will defend the hiss for some amps but others are deemed as unacceptable for review. Makes ya wonder.

Jacksonbart, all I can add to your post is that once I found the pure silence, I discovered that some composers purposely use the "lack" of notes as part of the music itself, therefore the lower the noise floor, the more impact the silent passages have for me.

I akin this to watching a televison that don't produce true black colors. When you see a television WITH true black, then you notice how much more impact the colors on the screen have.

I have SS/tube active xover gear running VOTTs down in the basement. With the lights off the system is really quiet and nice. Turn on all the flourescent 8 foot light fixtures and HELLO this is electrically a noisy a$$ place for a stereo! It sure is nice working under all that light, but its tough on the noise floor. Compromise, compromise, compromise, it always comes down to that.

• 4 weeks later...

I hardly ever post to this forum but I happened to see your thread and decided to add my perspective. I have LaScalas and struggled for years with varying degrees of hum from a bevy of tube amps...several 2A3 and 300B SET amps, a 6L6 SE amp, some pushpull pentode offerings. It always bothered me, but I figured it was the price you pay with tubes. Two years ago I bought a Music Reference 13em7 amp and it truly is "dead quiet" with the LaScalas...ear right up to the speaker and all is silent at idle.

I use a passive pre with the MR amp because my attempt to find a quiet tube preamp has been less successful. I've tried pres from Wright, Fi, Dodd, Hagerman, Mapletree...all introduced some degree of hum as you turned up the volume. Some (the Fi and the Dodd) were worse than others in that regard. I love the sound of an active tube pre, but I'm still looking for one that matches the MR amp for a noise-free, black background.

Two years ago I bought a Music Reference 13em7 amp and it truly is "dead quiet" with the LaScalas...ear right up to the speaker and all is silent at idle.

Well, good for you! - Are you suggesting that the solution to all of our hum problems is to go out and buy a Music Reference 13em7 amp? I don't think so.

Hum can be cured, you just have to find out the source of the hum and then wipe it out. this can be very irritating and frustrating. For me cheater plugs were the answer as I have an active 3 prong plug pre-amp and amps. A lot of folks told me they had no hum. then I found out they were using passive pre-amps. They don't need cheater plugs - they have no plug at all!

No, not suggesting to go out and get a 13em7 amp. Just saying that there are tube amps that that are dead quiet in speakers as efficient as the LaScalas or Khorns. Before I bought the em7, I doubted those amps existed based on my previous experience.

Sorry to offend...

No, not suggesting to go out and get a 13em7 amp. Just saying that there are tube amps that that are dead quiet in speakers as efficient as the LaScalas or Khorns. Before I bought the em7, I doubted those amps existed based on my previous experience.

Sorry to offend...

No offense at all. Just pointing out that most amps can run dead quiet at idle. There are plenty of culprits and scientifically tracking down the particular culprit can be done. Not easily however.

Nobody seems to have mentioned the easy fix. Disconnect your tweeter. It's just doing its job.

Dave

LMAO

Nice to see you post.

The only time I hear my Belles hiss is when I use them for headphones. ;)

Chiropractor recommended against it.

I am so fortunatge to be so tired most of the listening time I rarely have my listening is less critical then 3-4 years ago.

Tired of the 65 hours a week in the Auto Industry but very grateful to have a job.

My last 4 tube pre amps going back 8-9 years in order are Ampex vintage, JM Blueberry, Scott LC-21 (borrowed) and the CJ.

All had a bit of hiss but I really liked every ones phono section allot. I will take the 12AX7 Mullard with a little noise for its addictive nature.

Time for LPS is m,aybe 3 times a month now but I do play 7-10 LPs when I do sit in the sweet spot..

I hardly ever post to this forum but I happened to see your thread and decided to add my perspective. I have LaScalas and struggled for years with varying degrees of hum from a bevy of tube amps...several 2A3 and 300B SET amps, a 6L6 SE amp, some pushpull pentode offerings. It always bothered me, but I figured it was the price you pay with tubes. Two years ago I bought a Music Reference 13em7 amp and it truly is "dead quiet" with the LaScalas...ear right up to the speaker and all is silent at idle.

I use a passive pre with the MR amp because my attempt to find a quiet tube preamp has been less successful. I've tried pres from Wright, Fi, Dodd, Hagerman, Mapletree...all introduced some degree of hum as you turned up the volume. Some (the Fi and the Dodd) were worse than others in that regard. I love the sound of an active tube pre, but I'm still looking for one that matches the MR amp for a noise-free, black background.

Cool post.

The Maple Tree I heard sounded better after a trip to the NOS Valves Lab for improvments. Smallish power supply components in the stock model.

Surpised the FI did not work for you.

My Moondog 2A3 amps have a slight hum, which doesn't bother me at all. I have NO hiss that I can hear at my listening position, using my Juicy Music Merlin pre. Same when I had my JM BBX. I just got an Audio Technica phono pre from the Needle Docto, and it is very quiet. I plugged it into the tape return, so I still have my two regular line inputs. I know I could lessen the hum i I switched to DC on the heaters, but I enjoy the music so much that it doesn't bother me at all.

Bruce