DIY wooden tractrix horn - surface hardening?

Bacek

I'm about to finish my first tracrtix 300Hz horn. As most of here I used bendable plywood for curved sides. I was my first contact with this material. It seems to be rather soft. So my concern is how to harden the surface to make it less absorbing for the sound wave. Any of you considered that?

For a start I thought about hard floor varnish but I don't know if I'll be able to paint it black after.

post-32366-13819556058616_thumb.jpg

post-32366-138195828801_thumb.jpg

For what it's worth, I got my ALK Tractrix horns in raw finish because I was going to stain them & leave them in a natural timber colour. For various reasons this didn't work out & I ended up painting them. I used 4 coats of grey undercoat, then 4 coats of satin black, followed by 2 coats of clear lacquer....they sound pretty good to me.[:D]

For what it's worth, I got my ALK Tractrix horns in raw finish because I was going to stain them & leave them in a natural timber colour. For various reasons this didn't work out & I ended up painting them. I used 4 coats of grey undercoat, then 4 coats of satin black, followed by 2 coats of clear lacquer....they sound pretty good to me.Big Smile

That's a good way to approach it. Nice work.

You are correct about being cautious if you are painting over a floor varnish (polyurethane). I have always had good luck using shellac to seal end grain and it can be painted also. Perhaps that would be a good candidate.

One of the Zissner (BIN) products is a primer that has a shellac base (it is the one that has the label that recommends using alcohol to clean up - as opposed to water or paint thinner). You can find it at the larger Home Depots.

Good Luck,

-Tom

So my concern is how to harden the surface to make it less absorbing for the sound wave. Any of you considered that?

I don't think I'd worry about that too much.

I'd just paint the horn however you think would look the nicest.

I used 4 coats of grey undercoat, then 4 coats of satin black, followed by 2 coats of clear lacquer

Did you used wood dedicated undercoat/paints or a car dedicated?

It was a multi purpose undercoat & top coat that could be used on a variety of materials....including timber & metal.

• 4 years later...

open the attachment in MS Excel. the calculation is set to a horn similar to V-Trac FC260, it's the last calculation I did.

copy each column numerical data in Autocad command line and press Enter then you can see the shape. you can export it to Coreldraw or whatever you need for a paper print or a laser router or a CNC.

hope this helps.
:rolleyes:

Tractrix_v1.4b.zip

Edit: attachment file is the same as mentioned in previous post.

Edited by Arash
  • Like 1

So my concern is how to harden the surface to make it less absorbing for the sound wave. Any of you considered that?

I don't think I'd worry about that too much.

I'd just paint the horn however you think would look the nicest.

Agreed..

Just paint and clear coat it.

Looks great so far.