Heavy Duty Bass with minimal distortion

I bet that sounds great, when watching a movie and something explodes

Also surreptitiously doubles for a good excuse to tell the wife with a straight face "Honesly dear, I did not hear you tell me to do the dishes"

[6]

However, since I've seen pictures of Kevin wearing his kitchen apron while washing the pots/pans.... I know he'd never do this to his wife. [Y]

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Find yourself a nice used velodyne servo controlled sub,i got mine for 400 bucks and its fantastic.

Did you read the thread or just the title?

I would guess neither, don't put your servo controled sub in front of kevins subs, it might get hurt, at the very least embarrassed.

Images like those prove I am not at all crazy with a pair of Velodyne DD-18s.

laager,

I found a second KPT-684 sub for myself to keep, and now I'm searching for a third, so I will have a pair as well. They are an absolutely wonderful musical sub. I plan on using the variable outputs on my two Velodyne HGS-18IIs and running out into a pair of amps and feeding the KPT-684s from 35 Hz up, and using my Velodynes from 15 to 35Hz! Should look and sound impessive.

Kevins Jubilees when he had the one KPT-684, is the best sounding system I have ever heard for music, my choice over KP 600s, Motengators, or TSCMs, but then again, Kevin has all of those as well [;)]

Because of the 402 Horn, K-69 driver, and the MWM Bass Bin, Kevin and I both feel that JCs KPT MCM-4-T-Grand speakers with a pair of KPT-684s for back-up, would have to be the ultimate Klipsch 2 channel system. [Y][Y][Y]

DTEL is one of the better known and respected members here on the forum, and I am sure Eldon will tell you that you won't find a friendlier or more fun guy then Kevin to be arround. We talk on the phone at least once a week, and I am proud and honered to know him, and his wonderful family.

Coytee, Kevins Jubilees are in his man cave in the guest house out back by the pool, far removed from the dishes, and he keeps plenty of international Coffee, Beer in the fridge for guests. Be prepared to sit in the Captains chair dead center if you visit Kevin, he insists on visitors having the best listening possition while auditioning and wont take no for an answer. [;)]

Roger

Images like those prove I am not at all crazy with a pair of Velodyne DD-18s.

I am not sure, even here two DD-18's is alot of subbage ! Indifferent

dtel,

For musicality, the KPT-684 kills my velodynes on Rock, for Home theatre on shot gun blasts like Open Range, or explosions, or extremely low sythesized stuff, the Velodynes still own the extremely low frequencies.

Roger

For musicality, the KPT-684 kills my velodynes on Rock, for Home theatre on shot gun blasts like Open Range, or explosions, or extremely low sythesized stuff, the Velodynes still own the extremely low frequencies.

That's a little surprising. I would have thought that although the sheer output of the KPT-684s in the higher frequencies used for general rock would be much higher than the HGS, the accuracy of the HGS would be better due to the servo control. The ultra low frequency dominance of the HGS is not surprising at all.

Maybe this is where the rubber hits the road in the HGS v DD. The parametric EQ and extra configuration control in the DD does help a lot. Further, it should be noted that one can set the subsonic filter of 15Hz to have a rather gentle 6dB slope. Thus, with in room gain there is still usable output down to around 10-11Hz and with two DDs on deck, significant output.

That's a little surprising. I would have thought that although the sheer output of the KPT-684s in the higher frequencies used for general rock would be much higher than the HGS, the accuracy of the HGS would be better due to the servo control. The ultra low frequency dominance of the HGS is not surprising at all.

Maybe this is where the rubber hits the road in the HGS v DD. The parametric EQ and extra configuration control in the DD does help a lot. Further, it should be noted that one can set the subsonic filter of 15Hz to have a rather gentle 6dB slope. Thus, with in room gain there is still usable output down to around 10-11Hz and with two DDs on deck, significant output.

laager

It isn't just the output in the higher frequencies, and I wouldn't have thought so either because of the high gain servo controller, but they do what they do exceptionally well. I suggest you shoot Kevin an email and pack your DD-18s and take a trip, your in for a real wake up call. It isn't the Bass management system that Velodyne hass either. The Velodynes own the synthesized Bass region, but for Rock and Kick drums those KPT-684s own the Velodnes in Clarrity and output. Until you experience it yourself, it is like trying to explain Klipschorns to a B&W owner. I wont say Bose owner, as I own and Like the Velodyne, but while the B&W sounds good, like the Velodyne, and the specs on the Velodynes would seem superior, listening is revealing, Just like I thought Klipschorns were the summit for many years, first listen to Jubilees takes it too a whole new level. [:D]

Roger

...for Rock and Kick drums those KPT-684s own the Velodnes in Clarrity and output.

There was never any doubt in relation to output, though I'd need to see some measurements showing the distortion levels on the clarity side of the equation. More to the point, if intending to cross at 35Hz, why bother with the KPT-684s at all? What's wrong with the KPT-KHJ-LF from 35Hz up?

I suggest you shoot Kevin an email and pack your DD-18s and take a trip...

Err, right. What's my location again? [;)]

...for Rock and Kick drums those KPT-684s own the Velodnes in Clarrity and output.

There was never any doubt in relation to output, though I'd need to see some measurements showing the distortion levels on the clarity side of the equation. More to the point, if intending to cross at 35Hz, why bother with the KPT-684s at all? What's wrong with the KPT-KHJ-LF from 35Hz up?

I suggest you shoot Kevin an email and pack your DD-18s and take a trip...

Err, right. What's my location again? Wink

laager,

Never paid attention before. You a diver? My mom has been over and dove the reef. I want to make it before it is all dead.

Nothing wrong with the Jubilee bass bin, but the MWM is stronger, and either can use reinforcement. I have the MWMs, but presently I am running the TSCMs inside the house, plus freeing up the Velodynes in the higher LF line is not a negative.

If you dive, I'll have to loo you up if I come across the puddle.

Roger

I feel confident that these 684's would crush the Gotham sub and the klipsch subs are much less expensive than the $11,000 JL Gotham

What about the KRELL sub that MSRP's for $28,000 and weighs almost 500 lbs? How do the others stackup against it?