triathlon training injury-need advice

endover

Too all you triathletes out there...

I signed up for my first tri a couple of months ago and have 1 month left of training. It's a sprint (.25swim, 16mi bike, 3.1mi run). I'm new at this and will participate in the FAT TIRE category. I've got the bike and run in pretty good shape but I've been working on my swimming for only 2 months (having never swam competitively before). I have taken 2 private lessons to get my stroke form improved and it's working well. Long story short is that I went over my handlebars (and thus my sign-on name) about 3 weeks ago on the road and I have slightly separated my right sholder/collarbone. I stopped swimming to let it heal but at some point, I've got to get back to training or I won't be able to swim the required distance. I don't plan on winning anything. My goal is just to finish. I'm in my 40's and in pretty good health but things don't heal like I was 18 anymore. I'm doing rotater cuff exercises and icing while in recovery mode but don't know how to get back to swimming laps for training without making my situation worse. I know that swimming loads the shoulders up tremendously and mine now kind of thumps and pops around my collarbone while going thru the motions.

Recommendations since I only have 1 month left?

I too have a worn out rotator cuff ( among other things ) from wrenching for G.M. and laboring most of my life, what i found that works is resting the shoulder. I tried the doctor recommended excersises for years and nothing helped until i stopped using it so much.

For the pain i used Vicodin when needed and good old mary jane to keep my mind off the problem and help ease the pain.

Hope surgery is not the only option for you, Get better soon.

Endover,

disclosure: I am not a triathlete.

Inspiring it is for a forty plus person(I am 46) to enter a triathlon for the first time. You might want to just make it a biathlon if you are allowed. You are right about injuries to someone in their forties taking a long time to heal.

I (not an orthopedic doctor) believe you will only worsen your injury. While swimming in general is a low impact activity, the motion of the joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments of the shoulder can be very stressing. With most shoulder/collarbone injuries, you are encouraged to wear a sling to keep weight off of the joints. I say rest that shoulder and see if you can run(not across the water)that first leg.

Bill

• Moderators

disclosure: I am not a triathlete.

Well I am not an athlete of any kind to say the least but I would pass on it this year if I were you.

Being 40 or 20 I would think your injury happened way to close to the event, you will probably not finish and do more damage which could eliminate you from most exercise, it could set you back possibly permanently. it's not worth the chance. IMO

I too have a worn out rotator cuff ( among other things ) from wrenching for G.M. and laboring most of my life, what i found that works is resting the shoulder. I tried the doctor recommended excersises for years and nothing helped until i stopped using it so much.

For the pain i used Vicodin when needed and good old mary jane to keep my mind off the problem and help ease the pain.

Hope surgery is not the only option for you, Get better soon.

I feel for you, Jason. It sucks giving your all in a manual-labor-intesive job, and end up with chronic pain that filters every aspect of your life. Best of luck to you, my friend.

I just came across this, and of all places here? I am an active triathlete and in a former life a certified (or was that certifiable?) personal trainer. Injuries are tough, esp. when training for a specific event. My view is that i am in this for the long haul, and that serious injuries as you describe need rest. Almost all of the races I participate in can be done as a duathlon (the same format as a tri but with an additional run at the beginning replacing the swim) and I would strongly recommend doing that if available. Race directors are usually very flexible in allowing you to change you race type or distance, so long as you don't want a refund. I broke a finger and a rib in June in a Karate sparing session (never going to fight that guy again!) and had no trouble down grading the distance of my next race due to lack of training. Good luck! [:D]

As much as I wanted to brush the recommendations aside and do the triathlon anyway...the MRI (that took forever to get results on) shows I shouldn't. My doctor says I have a bruised bone and bad case of tendonitis from the accident and I should take 8 weeks off from any swimming. That pretty much seals the deal. I guess I restart my swimming in November and see how things go.

Thanks for the advice!!!

I know you're a little bummed, but good for you. I'm sure as an athlete you'll keep moving, but just not stressing your body. Doctors love it when patients follow their plans! My boss routinely does not (as a contractor, he injures himself seriously quite often), and his doctors are always P.O.ed at him. Best of luck with your healing! BTW, I get two cortisone injections in my back next Tuesday. I'm really hoping it allows me to exercise more.

Be thankful that you can train in the future and resume the sport you obviously love. I was playing soccer back in July and came up lame after a sudden stop. The MRI showed that I had torn a cartelidge in my knee, had some sort of "floater" roaming around in there on top of being terribly arthritic with excessive wear. I had the surgery (3'rd one on that knee) and was told that I wasn't to run or play soccer again. Bear in mind that I've been running for enjoyment my whole life and have been playing soccer for 38 years. I was absolutely devistated. The Dr. told me that my next injury and surgery would involve knee replacement. No thanks. Lately I've been riding my bike 30 or 40 miles a week to rehab, but it's not the same as running. Listen to your Dr's and especially your body.

Be thankful that you can train in the future and resume the sport you obviously love. I was playing soccer back in July and came up lame after a sudden stop. The MRI showed that I had torn a cartelidge in my knee, had some sort of "floater" roaming around in there on top of being terribly arthritic with excessive wear. I had the surgery (3'rd one on that knee) and was told that I wasn't to run or play soccer again. Bear in mind that I've been running for enjoyment my whole life and have been playing soccer for 38 years. I was absolutely devistated. The Dr. told me that my next injury and surgery would involve knee replacement. No thanks. Lately I've been riding my bike 30 or 40 miles a week to rehab, but it's not the same as running. Listen to your Dr's and especially your body.

CECAA850,

I injured myself similarly in my 30s in a bad snow skiing accident and after having it scoped, rehab, etc., I was still limping a year and a half later and could not run. Bicycling is good low impact exercise, but does not provide enough range of motion. I started taking Karate and within the first few months I stopped limping from all of the stretching, sure I still have all the lovely knee pops when standing and can't stand extended periods in a crouched possition, but I can run and ski as well and without any type of pain just like before the accident now.

Also, have you tried Knox Nutra-joint? You can find it in Large grocery stores by the Knox Gelatin. It comes is a round can similar to swiss miss Co-Coa, and has an orange plastic lid with orange and blue markings on a white background. The nutra-joint is made from ground shark cartilage and is a powder. Hawaian Punch is about the best cover up for the flavor of it, but it seems to help lubricate the joint, less pain and popping from stuck cartilage.

Roger

. . . nutra-joint is made from ground shark cartilage and is a powder. Hawaian Punch is about the best cover up for the flavor of it, but it seems to help lubricate the joint, less pain and popping from stuck cartilage.

Should help him to swim better too . . . Geeked

Now that I think about it, it DOES sound a little fishy.