Just a courious thought

Jim Cornell

Now that I am single my EX wife grew into my audio hobby, but I have learned that NO ONE is into audio in the general world. I do know that i may find some one who cares nothing about my hobby or would even get into listening to my system, or music for that matter.

This has been a lonely hobby for 10 years only I and fellow members really appreciate the sound and art that goes into the construction of Klipsch. To anyone i have ever met they are just speakers, sell them do you really need that many. I am sure that most of you go through a simular situation. But hey single is good as well.

Jim 11 year member and just now starting to live it up.

It seems that the age of friends enjoying an evening of listening to music is over for most folks. If the entertainment doesn't contain visual stimulation like car chases or gunfights, many people can't be bothered to get off the couch and head over to a friend's place.

Maybe people are so habitually over-stimulated by games, blockbuster movies and even the evening news, that the idea of just sitting in a room listening to the sound of musicians, no matter how realistic, sounds totally boring.

That's their loss. I find recorded music to be one of the best and most pleasant ways to relax.

It seems that the age of friends enjoying an evening of listening to music is over for most folks. If the entertainment doesn't contain visual stimulation like car chases or gunfights, many people can't be bothered to get off the couch and head over to a friend's place.

Maybe people are so habitually over-stimulated by games, blockbuster movies and even the evening news, that the idea of just sitting in a room listening to the sound of musicians, no matter how realistic, sounds totally boring.

That's their loss. I find recorded music to be one of the best and most pleasant ways to relax.

Man, you hit the nail on the head with that one!

Part of our fun is spent with family; but they really could care less about how good it sounds.......

(At my Fiancee's cousin's house)...... It's just crank it into distortion........

They will be introduced to Klipsch soon....... We will see how it goes.......

• Moderators

Yes Islander is exactly right. I have also noticed people are so over stimulated that even when at a club or somewhere with live music if they can't dance or talk with there friends and play with there phones they are bored. It must suck to be a musician and look out in the audience and see most people completely ignoring the band and music, it's just a meeting place for them.

The lack of appreciation for music and good musicians is also part of the reason for so much junk music and low quality reproduction. The I pod (or whatever they are) generation who cares more about how many songs there device holds than the quality of the music or reproduction.

Tv programs kind of reveal how many people are now, it has no nudity, violence, foul language, or something scandalous people don't watch as much, a good story is a hard sell.

Could be I am just getting old ? [:(]

Yes Islander is exactly right. I have also noticed people are so over stimulated that even when at a club or somewhere with live music if they can't dance or talk with there friends and play with there phones they are bored. It must suck to be a musician and look out in the audience and see most people completely ignoring the band and music, it's just a meeting place for them.

The lack of appreciation for music and good musicians is also part of the reason for so much junk music and low quality reproduction. The I pod (or whatever they are) generation who cares more about how many songs there device holds than the quality of the music or reproduction.

Tv programs kind of reveal how many people are now, it has no nudity, violence, foul language, or something scandalous people don't watch as much, a good story is a hard sell.

Could be I am just getting old ? Sad

That's all entirely true! and yes, you're getting old [:P]

Could be I am just getting old ?

Modern entertainment seems to equate "shocking" with "interesting". The problem is that years of being shocked, outraged, mindblown, et cetera, has caused our "shockable threshold" to become so high that simple pleasures don't have the appeal they used to have, and still do have, if you have the patience to just relax and realize you can enjoy something without feeling that you have to make "more efficient" use of your time by multi-tasking at every possible moment.

All that multi-tasking disconnects you from reality, which may be fun sometimes, but shouldn't be a constant daily state of affairs. For example, if you're running on a treadmill with earbuds playing, you've got three simultaneous "realities" going on that don't relate to each other. You're running and getting tired, but you're not travelling along the ground, so your body and brain are in disagreement about what's happening, while you're hearing sounds from somewhere else, without hearing what's actually going on around you.

Running is pleasant, but more so if you're outdoors than in a gym. Listening to music is pleasant, but more so if you're sitting still or dancing to that music. Making a mashup of slices of several different experiences doesn't add up to a single great experience; it just tires your brain while it tries to correlate all the conflicting inputs it's receiving. It's like loading your meal with so many condiments that you can't actually taste the food.

Imagine watching a sunset or crashing waves at the beach without your MP3 player going or exchanging text messages, probably with someone who finds simply driving his car to be snoringly boring. Just see the beauty, feel the wind, whether it's cool or warm on your skin, hear the sound of the wind, the waves, the birds.

Realize that your heart's not racing, it's slowing down. That's not boring, that's good. Enjoy the experience in its totality, with all your senses on the same channel.

Think about how rarely we focus single-mindedly on what we're doing. Distracting yourself from a chore can make sense, but why distract yourself from a pleasant experience?

As for your question, you are getting old, but so is everyone else. However, this is not an age thing, it's a 21st Century western culture thing. We're like kids in a candy store who pick a bunch of different candies, put them all in a bag, and eat a handful of the assortment, thinking all the tastes will add up to a "super-taste". Doesn't work, does it?

It must suck to be a musician and look out in the audience and see most people completely ignoring the band and music, it's just a meeting place for them.

they do see the audience...heard an interview with roger taylor (drummer for Queen). he said that he always hated drum solos, saying that if he looked up and seeing someone leaving to go get a hot dog, he felt that he was boring them.

I was introduced to Klipsch by my best friend. He currently owns a pair of KLF-30s and RP-3s.

Another friend of mine has a pair of maple original RF-7s. He's had them around 10 years. I remember going to his house to have dinner and he played some music through his speakers. I couldn't get over how clear and detailed everything sounded, it was unbelievable.

Other than that no one that I know is into audio very much, or Klipsch for that matter.

just me an my brother...last year, i recommended a pair of cornwalls to him...now he's hooked! funny, he told me that he invites friends from work over and he'll put on some tunes hoping that everyone will be blown away--and they just want to talk shop. he'll say, "wow, this sounds great." and everyone will stop for a second and agree, then go back to talking. except one friend of his that is a musician, he's the only one that truly appreciates the great sound.

No way... Ok maybe for most but I have friends over a couple times a month to spin vinyl and listen to tunes. In fact Kaiser is comimg over on Sunday to hear my new George Wright Phono pre.

This is a good thread. Makes me feel even more at home here.

It seems that the age of friends enjoying an evening of listening to music is over for most folks.

That thought put me back in time to late high school. Many evenings my room was the meeting place before 'going out'. Many times my friends and I would just stay and listen to music while talking. It was the greatest. I had a 25 watt red light bulb in a lamp that I'd switch on for listening. It became such a good thing for us....the red room. No phone in the room, no cell or smart phone, no tv.

Keep it simple. Time to buy a red light bulb.

Yea I guess it really all started when I heard people complain that the Heresys were too big. Yea right. I really hope they are enjoying their all in one shelf boom box units, little do most not realize is, most of the sound is colored and set by a sound card or EQ in the unit, its not flat for sure.

I take a look at my Pioneer SX 1050 here that I am not using, and I always think I lived that day when the biggest was the badest. Most people had big speakers, and a whole wall of audio, now most people dont even own a system!

Even I have I-Tunes and music on my PC and the Klipsch promedia, it kicks butt sure, but is it the true flat sound NO. It starts with the soundcard to boot. But I do agree it does sound pretty darn good. No matter how small they can get in audio for the home, some still have the boom box kick *** system in thier cars, go figure Yep I have that too. What is the point of having a nice home and a big living room, with nothing in it?

Karaoke is a growing trend, but most have the Karaoke box, This would have worked well with the big systems in the day.

Another thing is if I listen to my music, its to enjoy the music, not hold a conversation at the same time. Its like watching a movie with everyone talking Ill just leave the room.

People get stressed out, bummed out, the hell with meds, they should build a system, get Klipsch turn it up and relax. Right now my audio hobby is all I have had for the past 5 years, this is what I do, and I will continue to do so. Even though my family here thinks I am crazy, and its nothing but a waste of time.

Rock on Jim

post-3695-13819636119598_thumb.jpg

This post is depressing on many levels and makes me think back to the times when there was a group of us that would constantly get together just to listen, or hear someones new piece of equipment or new set of speakers. Here's what I've heard from friends that come by now since I've rediscovered my passion for music;

"you have a lot of speakers"

"those are huge"

"what's all that"

"how old is that thing" references to the Sansui's

"why would you buy a new turntable"

"you waste a lot of money on all this"

"do you have enough yet"

"you have that in your shop"

I still have a couple friends outside of this forum that get it. Both of them happen to be musicians that really fell in love with Klipsch when they came to visit me a while back and now both have Klipsch in their homes. I get many comments on the surround and the subs when a movie is on, but they have nothing to do with fidelity, just the effect. I really wish I would have made the trip to Hope last year, but it wasn't in the cards. I will make the next event (providing there is a next event), no matter what.

Guest Anonymous

I regularly go to our local theatre. We actually have a band...yeah believe it, real people playing music.

The band plays tunes from the 70's and 80's with our local symphony. There are 4 shows a year. one of the shows last year was "dark side of the moon'.

They played the whole album live, with a 100 piece symphony, it was incredible. no dancing just awesome music.

This year, "Music of Led Zeppelin". man i cant wait. live band with a symphony, its awesome stuff.

It might be the cluster affect. I also find that people are not generally into audio but they do very much enjoy the sound system I have assembled. Some are actually awestruck by the system. But what I have is a neat and impressive layout as opposed to a stack of speakers. Perhaps I am a minimalist. On the other hand I think the sound is better w/o a lot of clutter. I do have other equipment but it is set up in a different room or stored. I do not expect anyone to join me in my personal level of enthusiasm for this hobby, let alone a female. If the subject of hobbies comes up before they hear my hobby I cooly advise others that it is far more useful, enjoyable and less costly than the hobby of collector vehicles. If anyone dares to critic the notion or the cost I simply let them listen and that usually works well enough.

I get many comments on the surround and the subs when a movie is on, but they have nothing to do with fidelity, just the effect.

I heard that. The whole surround sound thing, fake explosions etc. wore off for me right away. People that came over were blown away with the effects and the impact of the bass......including the visual of all the digital gear. I used to get complimented left and right.

Now, since I got away from the hollow, emotionless sound from AVR's and modern middle of the road gear.......I've slipped into a heaven filled with equipment that is 35-50 years old that has "real" fidelity that is truly addictive to me. People come over now and glance at the old gear and not much is said. I guess because it's not in 3D [^o)].

Me, I can sit there all day drooling over the glow of the tubes and the sweetness that they push out of my big ugly Klipsch speakers. [:D]