Summer Heat: Survival Tips

fini

Seems most of the country is baking under a huge dome of heat. I don't know how you can take it! It gets warm here in CA, but nothing at all like what y'all are having to put up with (for instance, the high humidity!). How are you coping with it? Here I close the house up in the AM, and open it up in the evening (it usually drops into the low 60s-high 50s). What's worse, the Winter heating bill or the Summer cooling bill? Here's hoping you get some relief ASAP.

I went to my niece's wedding in Lawton, OK a few years ago (in August!) and was amazed that the streets were virtually empty of pedestrians. Of course, I was more amazed by the stifling heat. Here, we can get a fan on ourselves and evaporate the perspiration to cool down. There it just blows your sweat around.

There it just blows your sweat around.

There's nothing like taking a motorcycle ride to cool down. The air blowing over you as you drive down the road feels like it's coming out of a hair dryer. The engine heat at stops is just stifling.

I go from a house with A/C to a car with A/C to a building with A/C.

Don't do anything outside until after 7:30.

Why don't we have air conditioned space suits? If we are going to have the climate of Mars we should dress appropriately.

At least when its this hot I eat less,

I work outside....and it's rough. Hasn't been this hot in a while around here. I certainly have a hard time trying to eat in this heat. Fruit rules when it's this hot. [Y]

It's 65F and raining in Portland, Or.

I have a sweatshirt on.

jerol

When I move it will be to the Pacific NW.

I've been looking at the same plan. Sell everything and buy a nice place in the woods for retirement. I've lived most of my life in this stuff but this year is the worst ever. You have to do things in the mid morning after the humidity lets up some or between 7:30 pm and sunset outside. A recent Rolling Stone article shows this could well be a trend here but the pacific NW could get wetter, which doesn't seem necessary either.

To answer one question fini my electric bill (all electric house) is highest in the coldest winter month than in the hottest summer month. However in an effort to keep the trees and shrubs healthy, my water bill in the summer makes summer overall higher for utilities. Construction methods and infrastructure are regional factors to keep in mind for comparison.

• Moderators

Here I close the house up in the AM, and open it up in the evening (it usually drops into the low 60s-high 50s).

[:o]

We close the windows around April and open them back up around October if were lucky.

I just walked outside it's 81* and humidity is 85%, it's 9:34 at night, and there were some thunderstorms around so it's cooled off this evening.

• Moderators

Survival Tip #1.... Don't get as excited as the weathermen do about setting another record for the day, month or year.....

[Y]

And I think that heat index is a bunch of [bs], in the mid or upper 90's with high humidity you don't need some turkey to tell you how hot it feels.

Survival Tip #1.... Don't get as excited as the weathermen do about setting another record for the day, month or year.....

Yes

And I think that heat index is a bunch of PWK BS Button, in the mid or upper 90's with high humidity you don't need some turkey to tell you how hot it feels.

Can we throw in the "heat index" with the "wind chill factor?" LOL.....