Let's have a popcorn conversation...

Coytee

Act 1.........movie theater butter...............nobody gets out of here alive anyhow.

OT. I still have not figured out how my microwave knows the difference between the bigger multi-serving bag and the smaller individual bags. The unit has just 1 popcorn button but it figures out what you put in there and adjusts the time and intensity level.

If you drizzle olive oil or butter on the air popped salt will stick to it. Using the right amount of oil in skillet popped corn will also get salt to stick to it.

Yea, but that defeats the purpose of air popping. Just make it in oil if you are going to pour it over the top, it will tast better (but eventually kill you).

Olive oil won't kill ya, c'mon now. [H]

Olive oil won't kill ya, c'mon now. Cool

God I hope not cause I go through a LOT of it.

Another one of my "favorite" things is grilled cheese sandwiches. Years ago I stopped using butter and started brushing olive oil on the bread prior to cooking. Good flavor and better for you than butter. OK... That's what I tell myself any way. ;)

Another one of my "favorite" things is grilled cheese sandwiches. Years ago I stopped using butter and started brushing olive oil on the bread prior to cooking. Good flavor and better for you than butter. OK... That's what I tell myself any way. ;)

Oh man, I gotta try that. I LOVE me some olive oil. We buy it in the gallon can. There's nothing better smelling than chopped garlic frying in olive oil. Just the thought of it gets me salivating [:P].

It is better for you than butter. BTW I make my grilled cheese the same way.

• Moderators

I like it on bread also, my sister gave me a Misto, works great for olive Oil, pump it a few times and it sprays a mist and works really well. Have had it a few years now, well made and under $10.

http://www.amazon.com/Misto-M100S-Gourmet-Brushed-Aluminum/dp/B00004SPZV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316575191&sr=8-1

post-11804-13819662869668_thumb.jpg

me too; but, then when i ironed my shirts the oil olive residue on the iron got all over my shirts. but, the grilled cheese turned out good.

Bachelor was the first thing that came to mind Wink

Me? Bachelor =Yes. And pretty happy with that status at the moment.

I've seen some pretty "lean" times but I don't recall ever using an iron to make a grilled cheese sandwich. As such none of my shirts have olive oil stains.

"The staleness (kind of chewey) of the popped corn was as much of a downer to me as the no-stick-salt"

You must allow the steam to escape as the corn pops. I use a cheap aluminum non-stick 3 qt. saucepan with holes drilled in the lid to allow steam to escape. It's used for nothing else. I pour in the oil (peanut or canola) to cover the bottom and put in 3 kernels on high heat.

After they pop I pour the popcorn (usually Orville's) into the hot oil so that the bottom is covered and eack kernel is covered with oil. I then swirl the pan so that the kernels will heat evenly. The popping occurs so violently that shaking the pan is not necessary. Even with the holes in the lid, I move the lid up and down at one side to vent more steam.

The popping would blow the lid off the pan if I didn't pour the initial wave into a bowl. The pan is retuned to the heat and the popping continues. When concluded, I have 6 qts. of tender salt friendly popcorn from a 3 qt pan.

My wife says to follow the directions on the Orville's label, but that's too easy.

Bachelor was the first thing that came to mind Wink

Me? Bachelor =Yes. And pretty happy with that status at the moment.

I've seen some pretty "lean" times but I don't recall ever using an iron to make a grilled cheese sandwich. As such none of my shirts have olive oil stains.

divorced. and that was just a joke--me use an iron for real...come on.

that was just a joke--me use an iron for real...come on.

Big Smile

I wouldn't own one myself, if clothes wrinkle, you either bought the wrong kind or it must be defective. Yes

if i had a dollar for every time my ex-wife or daughters said, "are you really going to wear that?" I have KHorns in every room.

• 2 months later...

I make popcorn in a large non-stick pot with Canola Oil and usually store brand popcorn...I put enough PC to cover the bottom of the pot and then about 2-3 tbl spoons of oil to cover it. I put it on med-high heat until the first kernel pops and then shake it over the burner until the popping stops. My secret ingredient is Albertsons brand butter spray which is better tasting than Pam etc and it allows salt to stick to it without all of the calories of butter.

I added a handful of pecan halves to the kernels (prior to cooking) the other day and was amazed at how good it turned out. [Y]

• Moderators

I still have not figured out how my microwave knows the difference between the bigger multi-serving bag and the smaller individual bags. The unit has just 1 popcorn button but it figures out what you put in there and adjusts the time and intensity level.

Try pressing the same button again, the one we use which is a small cheap model does that, on the second press it sets itself for a smaller bag which helps alot if you forget you put popcorn in.

Yours must be smarter then the one we use. [8-|]