Let's have a popcorn conversation...

Coytee

How do you make it?

For the last 30 years, I've been the bag in the microwave guy. (usually Pop Secret natural)

As I'm currently in Jacksonville and my microwave is in Knoxville.... what to do.

Right now, I don't care to buy a microwave so why not buy a popcorn popper!

Buy the popper, buy a bottle of Orville's popcorn, buy some popcorn salt and take it home.

Hmm... forgot oil....no problem, I've got some peanut oil at hand.

Cutting to the chase.....epic fail

You need to know that for me, most foods are essentially salt delivery vehicles as I'm a salt-a-holic.

Hardly any of the salt stuck to the popcorn. Also, the popcorn was rather....I hate to say 'chewey' but that best describes it. Right now, the microwaved Popsecret experiences I've had walk all over my experiment of yesterday.

So, how do you make a tasty (and salty) batch of popcorn prior to your favorite Klipsch audio experience?

MMMMMM... Popcorn... One of my favorite things in the whole world. At one time it was an almost nightly snack. That was until the doctor said "no more".

I always made it with a Whirley-Pop. Picked it up years ago at Best Buy for $10.

Posted Image

A couple of tablespoons of the butter flavored popcorn oil, popcorn salt in the oil (yes you read that right) and popcorn. Place on the burner set at medium high heat and listen for the first kernels to pop. As soon as they do you start cranking like a mad man. Within a couple of minutes you can dump out a bowl of perfect popcorn. MMMMMM....

Over and above the fact that I'm not supposed to eat popcorn any more there's the fact that the Whirley-Pop doesn't work on my current stove. It needs one of the "coil" type burners to work right. I have one of the smooth top ranges that require perfectly flat pans to work. The Whirley-Pop is not perfectly flat. [:(]

If you have the right kind of stove I highly reccommend the Whirley-Pop.

These will work with the Whirley-Pop too if you're really in to that whole "theater popcorn" thing.

https://www.snappypopcorn.com/productcart/pc/Snap-Paks-c49.htm

Richard for what it's worth to you I've heard that the microwave popcorn in the bag provides chemicals that are not all that good for you. So consider it a stroke of luck for going back to "analog" popcorn. The whirly pop is a good option, but the old fashoined way can be done for even less as long as you have the right pan in your arsenal already. Once again the hope is that you do not have a glass top cook surface. I really hate those because they are not conducive to certain traditional techniques, plus if they crack you may as well get a new range due to the cost of repair.

Use a pot in the 3 quart range, the height should be close to half of the diameter, turn the burner on high, add peanut or oil of choice. Add popcorn to cover the bottom of the pan in one layer. Then toss the corn and oil together to coat the kernels. There should be enough oil to make a wet coating. Too little oil will result in less popping. Put the lid on and let sit until popping starts. When that happens shake the pot continuously until popping has almost stopped. Dump into serving bowl, salt to taste, pour on melted butter if desired (using a small pan you can melt butter on the residual heat of an electric burner right after popping) and eat. The whole process is fast enough to do during a commercial break in the action. Best results occur with fresh quality corn . Buy small amounts and go through it quickly. Enjoy!

http://www.target.com/p/Presto-Orville-Redenbacher-s-Stirring-Popper-Black-7-Qt/-/A-12833107

I bought one of these stirring poppers so as long as there's nothing fundamentally wrong with that logic... I'm good to go on the pot side. I don't think I brought any lids for the couple pots I brought down with me. I do however, have a traditional stove with burners on top.

One thing that struck me was....frankly....how stale the popcorn seemed.

It certainly might have been but it was bought yesterday, used yesterday and properly sealed. I even think I heard a small "pffft" when I opened the seal on the bottle, but am not sure about that.

Do you just buy your popcorn at the store? If so, I'm looking into a different brand. Not to diss Orville's (which I chose thinking it would be more premium than the store brand), next time I'm looking at another brand

The staleness (kind of chewey) of the popped corn was as much of a downer to me as the no-stick-salt!

Gotta find a way to stick more salt to it.

I've often wondered about the circumstances under which popcorn was discovered. A bunch of Native Americans sitting around the fire; one ear of corn accidentally dropped into the flames.

"Pop!"

"Wow, that ear of corn just exploded!"

"What should we do?"

"Eat it, of course."

"YOU eat it!"

"Let's get Mikey ..."

I make popcorn in a large non-stick pot with Canola Oil and usually store brand popcorn...I put enough PC to cover the bottom of the pot and then about 2-3 tbl spoons of oil to cover it. I put it on med-high heat until the first kernel pops and then shake it over the burner until the popping stops. My secret ingredient is Albertsons brand butter spray which is better tasting than Pam etc and it allows salt to stick to it without all of the calories of butter.

Last time I made popcorn it was in my SaladMaster skillet. A small amount of oil in the skillet, with just a few kernels in the bottom. Heat until they pop, lift the lid and pour in the rest of the popcorn. Shake the skillet like crazy until the popping stops. Beautiful!! Always used a regular electric or gas stove.

Bruce

tkda, sounds like a pretty good process. good to see you posting. was just thinking of you yesterday.

Thanks, Dee. I hope they were good thoughts and that you are doing well.

If you drizzle olive oil or butter on the air popped salt will stick to it. Using the right amount of oil in skillet popped corn will also get salt to stick to it.

I"m tellin' ya, it's the Albertson's Buttery Spray in the oil section that is the tasty way to get salt to stick. [Y]

If you drizzle olive oil or butter on the air popped salt will stick to it. Using the right amount of oil in skillet popped corn will also get salt to stick to it.

Yea, but that defeats the purpose of air popping. Just make it in oil if you are going to pour it over the top, it will tast better (but eventually kill you).