Man Caves are out...

Chris A

In Australia we don't have Man Caves. Blokes have "The Shed" it's where you dismember the car, have shadow boards for your Spanners and keep the mower.

My work room has windows and is inside the house.Stick out tongue

OK, I have to know; what are shadow boards and spanners?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spanners are wrenches...

My guess is shadow boards aer places to hang the tools with the outline or 'shadow' on the boards so you know where everything goes.

Bruce

Wow - are some of you easily led.....

If all it took for people to ditch a lifetime of work was some website telling you that your "concept" was "out" of fashion, it's no shock that so many rooms went from Heritage to Acousticmess in one decade.

It is the allowance of people with no clue, leading you by the nose ring, that leads to disasterous results.

Think for yourselves. Don't be a "SUCKER". Conventional wisdom has a way of becoming "conventional stupidity", especially once a corporate news outlet or ad agency gets hold of it.

I do agree with the website's "outing" of the term "Occupy", but not because it's out of fashion, but because it was picked up virally and used incorrectly. For example, a local church that used the term as such: "Occupy Our Church This Sunday". OK, but only if you have given us a reason to "Occupy" it, such as assisting financial leeches in ripping off the public, buying off politicians, or otherwise engaging in corrupt practices. If you are going to "borrow" a term made known via some current event, at least use int in the context intended, or you may end up with some unintended consequences.

In Australia we don't have Man Caves. Blokes have "The Shed" it's where you dismember the car, have shadow boards for your Spanners and keep the mower.

My work room has windows and is inside the house.Stick out tongue

A spanner is used to tighten your nuts. There are numerous types of spanners, ring, open ended, shifting and many more. You can buy them in sets in imperial, metric, bsa and there is more. I think you might call them a "wrench" which is something you might do when you strike a stuck nut.

A shadow board is a classic, lol, it's the sign of a very tidy bloke. Imagine the shadow of your tool on the ground in bright sunlight. Now replicate that shadow onto a board that covers the wall of your shed above your bench. Your tool is hung on the board and covers it's shadow. Every tool in your shed is never recklessly thrown into a tool box. The tools are always replaced onto the shadow board. The shed becomes a showcase for your tools so when your mates come over for a beer you can enjoy your beers in your shed.

Of Course a Shed has a Fridge to store the Beer.

Blokes have "The Shed" it's where you dismember the car, have shadow boards for your Spanners and keep the mower.

I sure wouldn't mind stashing / working on one of those Holden Ute's in one of those sheds...

Thumbs Up for that, A favourite Australian Pastime.

Maybe instead of Facebook they should have Shedbook.[^o)]

• Moderators

your "concept" was "out" of fashion

Has been my whole life, but I have never been out to please anyone but myself, and wife so it didn't matter to me.

Could explain why my wife and daughter buy my clothes for me ! [:$]

Also could explain why we have over 1000 pounds of plywood boxes in the living room, and if anyone has aproblem with it they don't need to come back, they make US happy.

"A spanner is used to tighten your nuts."

Mine are quite tight, thank you very much. But I was wondering, if you are down under, do you tighten your nuts counter-clock wise?

Only when your hanging over the tailgate upside down.

We have both Left hand threads and Right Hand Threads on our nuts.

We did have to modify our cars though, so we drive on the left side of the road and have the controls on the right side of the car unlike the American Cars where the controls are on the wrong side of the car.

We did have to modify our cars though, so we drive on the left side of the road and have the controls on the right side of the car unlike the American Cars where the controls are on the wrong side of the car.Beer

I don't think Earth will be invited to join the United Federation of Planets until we can at least agree on which side of the road we should drive on. Multiple languages on the planet are one thing, but can't you humans even decide if you're all going to drive on the right or the left?

We don't want to cross the galaxy, just to get taken out in a head-on collision on our way to meet your leader.

• Moderators

I don't think Earth will be invited to join the United Federation of Planets until we can at least agree on which side of the road we should drive on. Multiple languages on the planet are one thing, but can't you humans even decide if you're all going to drive on the right or the left?

We don't want to cross the galaxy, just to get taken out in a head-on collision on our way to meet your leader.

It will never happen, they have met our leaders. [:(]

Imagine the shadow of your tool on the ground in bright sunlight. Now replicate that shadow onto a board that covers the wall of your shed above your bench. Your tool is hung on the board and covers it's shadow.

OUCH! You guys are very strange, indeed... In Texas, we don't show our tools until we are ready to use them, after which we carefully clean them and put them back where the sun never shines.

Dave

We did have to modify our cars though, so we drive on the left side of the road and have the controls on the right side of the car unlike the American Cars where the controls are on the wrong side of the car.Beer

Since you wrote this post, I have viewed intently every episode of Star Trek All Generations and did not find any centre lines to indicate traffic lanes.

Furthermore, a thorough review of the Jetsons failed to find any centre lines. So In space I reckon the difference between the mm and inch must allow sufficient clearance so Australians won't collide with Americans.

Only when your hanging over the tailgate upside down.

Good answer Yes

This whole nut tightening thing just don't feel right, I think I will just leave them alone unless I have a problem.

Caution is the best course of action as over tightening could cause your woofer to become a tweeter.

Imagine the shadow of your tool on the ground in bright sunlight. Now replicate that shadow onto a board that covers the wall of your shed above your bench. Your tool is hung on the board and covers it's shadow.

OUCH! You guys are very strange, indeed... In Texas, we don't show our tools until we are ready to use them, after which we carefully clean them and put them back where the sun never shines.

Dave

You guys need to watch out, your threads could seize and your nuts might freeze. What do you mean we are strange, lol.