OT: Firewood

ace168516

I am sure lots of you burn wood...I am guessing a few of you fellow forum members even heat with solely wood. What is the going rate for wood where you live...full cord or face cord or pickup load full (which is the biggest scam ever...don't get me into the story about the guy who pulled up with a 6ft bed ranger WITH a tool box in the back and decided that was "about a face cord.) I just browsed a local ad for a guy that wanted $175 for a rounded pickup bed full...I paid $80 for my last face cord of all oak and still felt like I was being ripped off. For those who unfortunatly have to buy wood, what are you paying?

I always seem to be able to find free wood, I have an outdoor wood boiler and I can burn anything! I burn alot of big round softwood. However to answer the question, price around here for a real cord of wood is in the 180-230 range.

i don't heat with wood, but I burn a lot of it in my outdoor fire pit for pleasure. I'm fortunate to have a bunch of cedar and a little bit of fruit wood on my property and also drive around town with my trailer after storms and such to pick up fallen old growth. I just looked on my local craigslist (north texas) and don't really see any full cord of wood going for less than $150.

• Moderators

It's about $175 a cord here delivered, Oak 4' tall and 16' long, it is rarely 2' long pieces which is ok with me because I use it in a wood stove and in the smoker.

Your right, about one in ten actually know or will admit what a cord is, they will try to BS you. But we usually get that straight before they deliver, if all else fails they don't get paid until they deliver what's promised.

I've seen a fleetside 8' pickup bed just over the side bodies for $125.00 around here. I would guess that is about a half cord. There was a guy that would sell you a bobcat type dumptruck full for $350.00 but haven't seen him this year. That was a lot of wood. I've been buring some hardwood flooring in my fireplace this year. Now that stuff gets hot!

I have had some luck in past years finding some good deals, but this year has not been as good. I bought my own log splitter, I have a chainsaw...usually I can find some wood that is down and I can cut and split on my own. I think I got about 2/3 a cord of hedge and locust for $45, but I had to cut it all up and haul myself. My supply is running dry even though it has been a warm winter and have just been blown away by the price of wood this year. Nobody is even offering a face cord of good wood for $80. Your estimates seem to be in line with what I might be able to get after haggling a full cord price...I really do not need a full cord, but 80-90 delivered for mixed hardwood just seems high to me. I can see 80 for a face of oak, but honesly the last batch of mixed I bought goes so fast I am having a hard time just not turning the thermostat up. Anyways, regardless of my situation, it seems like my prices here are probably not too out of line with the rest of the country, and I do not live in a forrest dense area, so I guess I will just suck it up. Thanks!

This is Germany so it won´t help but we are paying (if you don´t find a good deal) 90,00€ ($117) per m³ which is around 0.276 Cord.

I got a great deal with 75,00€ delivered ($97) dried Beech. It had a rest moisture of 9% so really good. Some of the power companys here dry it and sell. We heat only with wood and go through about 2 Cords per winter.

Be greatfull for what you can get there!!

• Moderators

My firewood dealer runs a summer special $200 per cord delivered & stacked, so I buy 2 cords a year. In season it would probably be $225+ on the east end of Long Island.

Great price considering where you live.

Yeah, the real cord (4x4x8) is hard to come by sometimes. The face cord (16" x 4x 8) or 1/3 a cord is about all many can do with these smaller trucks. Back in high school I cut firewood for spending money. A full split cord is a big job for a kid without a splitter.

We use wood as our only source of heat. Living in the mountains, we use lodge pole pine / cedar / mahogany. Not much oak up here. Prices vary a bit. Usually $125.00 cord in rounds...150.00 split. Most folks cut their own here as it is so easily accessible.

Love wood heat![st]

I always seem to be able to find free wood, I have an outdoor wood boiler and I can burn anything! I burn alot of big round softwood. However to answer the question, price around here for a real cord of wood is in the 180-230 range.

I used to have a short bed PU with cab high racks. My uncle from Texas said it would not hold a cord. The sawmill I worked at at the time would sell a pickup full of timber ends for $5 all you could haul. Well I got a full cord on that day. Measured it to make sure. 30mph down the highway was scary. Had to take the top of load off to back into grandads carport.

The next day my dad was at the truck shop when one of the truck drivers said look at the size of that load (was full size PU)

Mechanic said "thats nothing, you should of seen the PU that came out yesterday." Dad said he knew it was me.

Taz

Seems like most people around here sell it by “face cord” ...

I use very little, and paid about 90$ split and delivered in an urban setting... although I see it advertised under 75$ in the suburbs. I don’t know for the boon-docks. Since it’s technically 1/3 of an actual cord (16” vs 48”) … means it varies between 225$-270$ around my parts.
ROb