Thebes Wants You To Win a Klipsch T-Shirt Donated By...

thebes

...by me, of course.

I have one, brand new, washed once because I used to smoke, but never worn, XL large Klipsch t-shirt awaiting one lucky winner.

Now Klipsch regularly gives away free t-shirts, but only on Facebook. Peons like us don't rate in the new Klipsch firmament online push, so I've pulled out my last t-shirt from the "Members Weekly Music Recommendations" era.

So here's the deal.

You must post the name of a singer or group that you really like, but here's the caveat. Said group must have become known only within the last Five Years. In other words, groups, singers prior to 2007 are disbarred. Retreads are rejected. No googling or Utube allowed. Just a name ain't good enough. Genre? Specific album? Why you like this group/singer.

Dudes, it's a conversation, masked within a contest.

Why?

It's time for us old fuddy duddies to be exposed to some good new music from the next generation of talent.

Contest begins today and ends the 1st of April (no it's not a joke).

All entries will be given a number, with a random drawing from those numbers at contest close.

I'll start if off with:

Raphael Saadiq. "The Way I See it" 2008. I'm pretty sure this is his first album (not using google to find out cause it against the rules).

A new voice in R&B with some interesting twists. Big fan.

So what's new and good for you?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Melody Gardot... [;)]

She's a wonderfully talented jazz singer/songwriter/musician. She has two albums out, and they are both great. Her first album "Worrisome Heart" is my favorite of the two because it has simpler arrangements, though "My One And Only Thrill" is also excellent. I was turned on to her music by my friend Dennie from the RTM thread, and when I purchased "Worrisome Heart" and gave it a first listen, in less than a minute of the first song I was hooked!!

This took a while but my vote is for:

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals

Hot babe singer with a bluesy voice and her band (they must be vampires) applied to a hard rock slash country-ish sound. I have absolutely no idea what genre it would be classified as...

Group, Arson Anthem

Album, Arson Anthem

Genre, Metal

Year 2007

I like it cause its got a real raw thrashy sound that your parents don't want you listening to. The band has some of my fav. musicians such as Mike Williams on vocals, Phil Anselmo on guitars and yes the one only and you are reading this correct Hank Williams the 3rd, and of course Collin Yeo on bass. The reason they came up with the name is Mike the front man lost his house and all his belongings in a Arson fire to his home during Katrina down in New Orleans.

Now the band actually formed in 2006 but the first album came out in 2007, hopefully that doesn't exclude me from the contest.

Okay, I'll play...

Band - Dimension Act

Album - Manifestation of Progress

5rf94ftubs3ag69xgh69rrufehs8wtgr.jpg

Genre - Progressive Metal

I've only found out about this incredibly talented Norwegian outfit this last month, plus this album is brand-new. Only came out last month as well. I really like it for the complex rythms and melodies used throughout. There are some seriously crunchy/heavy riffing as well (in typical metal fasion). The singer has an incredible voice. In addition, the lyrical content is quite poignent with the dangers of to much progress just for the sake of progress (i.e, no care for the environment and so forth).

Ray Lamontagne solo or with the pariah dogs:

folk/rock

great voice

plays multiple instruments

Writes his own material for the most part

Soulful, meaningful, emotional, music and lyrics, reminiscent of the late 60's early seventies

I just plain like real music

Album: til the sun turns black......

• Moderators

Well, I didn't think this would be that dificult until I looked up my favorite artists that "became known" after 2007 on Wikipedia only to find out they were both independent artists that no one had heard of prior to 2007. If these do not quality, that's ok with me. Still worthy of my submission as great "new" artists since they did not "become known" to the world until they were signed by a record label.

Francesca Battistelli "My Paper Heart". Absolute georgeous vocals and melodic piano. Her lyrics are deep and thoughtful. She became known in 2008 with several songs from My Paper Heart. She has a mix sound some Contemporary Christian, Jazz, Pop and even a little Rock. Heard her in concert on several occassions. Has a heart of gold and seems very genuine and passionate about music.

Another favorite of mine is Sidewalk Prophets, "These Simple Truths". Fantastic group that really pour their soul into their music. They became known in 2009 with "These Simple Truths". When I first purchased their CD, I could not help but listen to it over and over again. Contemporary Christian, Pop, Rock

How fun...

The Band; Black Country Communion

Genre; Hard rock, blues-rock

The lineup; Glenn Hughes - Joe Bonamassa - Derek Sherinian - Jason Bonham

Debut Album; Black Country

I'm a huge Joe B. fan. He hails from my old Upstate NY stomping grounds and he plays the blues like EC is in his soul. Add that classic hard rock shouter Glenn Hughes, he of Deep Purple & Black Sabbath turns and you've got the foundation for a powerful band. Add Jason Bonham, son of THE MAN himself and former Dream Theater keyboardist Derek Shernian. Shake, stir, turn it up loud and that's Black Country Communion!

Okay, I'll play...

Band - Dimension Act

Album - Manifestation of Progress

5rf94ftubs3ag69xgh69rrufehs8wtgr.jpg

Genre - Progressive Metal

I've only found out about this incredibly talented Norwegian outfit this last month, plus this album is brand-new. Only came out last month as well. I really like it for the complex rythms and melodies used throughout. There are some seriously crunchy/heavy riffing as well (in typical metal fasion). The singer has an incredible voice. In addition, the lyrical content is quite poignent with the dangers of to much progress just for the sake of progress (i.e, no care for the environment and so forth).

I've been on a metal jag recently and this sounds like it will be right up my alley.

Thanks!

Adele 19 & 21. No appologies!

Original song writing, excellent voice, great song stylist and obviously more than a little inspired and hard working.

I am really hoping she will do a few covers or even a full album of Peggy Lee Greats! Serious!

I was stuck in the 60's/70's for a long time but now am blissfully working my way back two or three decades.

HOME_COVER_ART_400px.jpg

Band: OK Sweetheart

Genere: Indie Folk/Pop

Song: Before You Go

http://oksweetheart.com/#/music

This song caught my attention while watching TCM Remembers 2011. The music was almost haunting but with a sweet voice. I started searching and found the song on youtube. This let me to their website and the album Home. Try the title song for some up lifting fun.