Klipsch Heritage Series Owners Informal Poll

Main Entry: her·i·tage

Pronunciation: 'her-&-tij

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from heriter to inherit, from Late Latin hereditare, from Latin hered-, heres heir more at HEIR

Date: 13th century

1 : property that descends to an heir

2 a : something transmitted by or acquired from a predecessor : LEGACY, INHERITANCE b : TRADITION

3 : something possessed as a result of one's natural situation or birth : BIRTHRIGHT <the nation's heritage of tolerance> Can one really BUY a Heritage speaker if it is new and never handed down or received? cwm15.gifcwm1.gifcwm14.gif

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,

Thanks for the good input. In fact, you read my mind - I'm contemplating picking up Forte IIs to match my Chorus II/Academy front end for 5 channel music applications, as you suggest. I agree, I don't think the RS-7s can compete with the Fortes as surrounds for this type of application.

However, for home theater, I really like the sound of the RS-7 WDST technology, despite the timbre mismatch with the front end. As such, as I upgrade my pre/pro to one that accomodates DTS-ES and DD-EX, I'd like to find one that also includes a provision for running different side surrounds for music vs. movies. I know Denon makes receivers with this function, so I figure one of the better pre/pros probably makes similar accomodations. If I can't find such a beast, I can always run an external switchbox between my pre/pro and my amps.

Which now brings me back to my original dilemma of what to run for rear surround(s) for HT applications. Another Academy?? (not a smooth match with the side surrounds, but matches the front end) The KLF-C7 I have in storage?? (ditto) An RC-7?? (matches the RS-7s, but now a complete timbre mismatch with the front end) Another RS-7 or two?? (might be a little too diffuse)

To quote Charlie Brown, "Aaarrrgghhhhh!!!" cwm14.gif

Thanks again!

Colin

------------------

My System

1. What Heritage speakers have you owned, currently own, or want to own?

I have three pair of Heresy - 1980, 1981 and 1989 HII. Mains and sides in HT/Music. Mains downstairs for music/TV

2. What was your age when you first purchased a Heritage series loudspeaker?

The 1980 Heresy at 24

3. What is your current age?

4. Why did you choose Heritage loudspeakers over another Klipsch model?

My first love of music in college was with some Altec Lansings, then I heard a friend's father's Klipschorns. Convinced my brother to buy (he had the corners) and have been a grand fan ever since. I bought the Heresy when I could put it with the equipment that made it worthwhile. I have searched for better (still have the Maggies - pretty good, but didn't win me over - just fit the space I had)and know that when I retire (looks like maybe about 4-6 years) the new (or second) house will have a room built for Klipshorns in each corner with a belle in the middle.

5. If you currently own some Heritage loudspeakers, and could purchase some more Klipsch speakers(new or used), which ones would you purchase? Why?

Klipshorns as noted above. I will be making the attempts at a center to match the Heresy - hope I make it happen in a box to fit on top of RPTV as mentioned by someone earlier.

6. Do you think the upcoming Jubilee should become part of the "Heritage" line, since it was also designed by PWK?

Yep

------------------

Hwatkins

Colin,

Before selling my Chorus II's to Rob, our systems were very similar (Chorus I mains, Chorus II surrounds, KLF-C7 center and RS-3's as back surrounds). I too am contemplating RS-7's as side surrounds (they will sit on top of my Chorus I rears facing one another) for movies only to see if I like it. I have the Denon 4800, so I can have the different side surrounds depending on listening mode.

Now that I'll have the La Scala's as mains, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. I still have the KLF-C7 as my center and the Chorus I's as rears, as well as the RS-3's as rear center. HornEd would not approve of this configuration and I'm not sure I will either. I guess I'll find out this weekend how they'll mesh with one another...

Mike

Mike,

Would definitely be interested in the results of your weekend audition, as well as your decision as to how you ultimately configure your system.

I also asked Klipsch this question via email, and just got a response back indicating that a single RC-3 or RC-7 would be the preferable rear center for 6.1 home theater application.

BTW, congrats on those La Scala's!! I know Rob is equally thrilled with the package that arrived on his front doorstep yesterday!

Regards,

Colin

------------------

My System

Mike/Colin-

You are absolutely correct! "New" Chorus IIs arrived yesterday morning and dodged most of the rain we had here yesterday. Unpacked and they work fine. Serious listening will have to wait until after the weekend. But I am very excited to have new members in the Klipsch family. I'll post news to the HT forum later.

BTW, Colin, those black Forte IIs on eBay near me are still at a VERY low price!!! Come on, strike while the iron is hot!! Smile.gif

Hey Builder, here are my answers (but you already know 'em):

1. K-horns 1959 Parents have owned since new

K-horns 1968 I'm the 3rd owner (and last!)

Belles 1976 I'm the third owner (ditto)

2. My folks bought the K-horns when I was one year old.

I got my Horns and Belles at age 44

3. 44

4. Nothing else comes close

5. ProMedia 5.1's (I'm running out of room!)

6. Yes

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by chickey:

Mike,

Would definitely be interested in the results of your weekend audition, as well as your decision as to how you ultimately configure your system.

I also asked Klipsch this question via email, and just got a response back indicating that a single RC-3 or RC-7 would be the preferable rear center for 6.1 home theater application.

BTW, congrats on those La Scala's!! I know Rob is equally thrilled with the package that arrived on his front doorstep yesterday!

Regards,

Colin

I'm afraid the Klipsch email reply is really looking at matches available from their current line and not at what is *best*. It's too easy to pick a couple of current line speakers and say, "good enough". Well, it's not good enough for me. Only thing I can figure for me are:

Cornwall Mains

Academy Front Center

Academy Rear Center

Heresy Surrounds

These would all fit and maintain very similar timbre I imagine.

What I mean't when I said Klipsch should support Heritage in HT is that they should PRODUCE new HT speakers that SPECIFICALLY match Heritage speakers.

Giving us some lame RC-3 or RC-7 matchup doesn't work for me. It's bad enough I'm using what I'm using. Even though my HT setup pretty much blows away most other ones I've heard, I believe it could be quite a bit better with a closer match all the way around.

------------------

Bob Lindabury

SPEAKERS

Fronts: Cornwalls (2)

Center: KLF-C7 (1)

Rears: RS-3's (2)

Sub: AudioSource SW-15

Rear Center: Umm...any suggestions?

AMP: Sony STR-DB1070 6.1

MISC:

Hafler DH-200 Amp;Yamaha C-50 Pre-Amp; Technics SL-1410MK2 Turntable; Sony DVP-S360 DVD

http://www.ravenimaging.com/bobl/audioequip

Maybe the Klipsch Audio Technologies "powers that be" are watching and will heed the possibility of sales of a sub to match Heritage speakers...who knows? It would be nice to see it happen...especially if/when they look past current unit sales figures for Heritage speakers and realize just how many that were produced over the past 4-5 decades are out there awaiting a sub that is designed as a match for them... Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

A bit late, but, own Khorns, La Scala's, Hersey II's, Legend KLFC7, would love Belles.

40, they made the hair on the back of my neck stand on end, Dire Straits, Sultan of Swing to be exact.

They were the biggest and the baddest....and OUCH...

Would love to own Belles.............

Of course the Jubilee should be "part", but as I feel, sorry, not a TRUE Heritage, still in development when PWK passed away.

To add, I WISH KLIPSCH had a matching subwoofer for the Heritage line, sold my RSW15 and bought a Velodyne FSR18, that 18" buries the RSW15 I hate to say, come on Klipsch....match my(your)speaker system.

Post the Jub as a "celebration speaker" to PWK....

new line????????

Also, add a centre channel, KLFC7 & RC7, doesn't quite cut it IMO.

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 06-27-2002 at 10:00 PM

The Jubilee was FULLY DEVELOPED BEFORE PWK PASSED AWAY! And it was primarily PWK with Roy Delgado who did the development of it! The theater version has been available for some time now, but the home version has yet to enter production. It, too, is FULLY DEVELOPED, though! The major problem with its entering production at this time is the HIGH COST of the mid-high horn lens and some problems with quality control from its Italian maker...and, I am sure that once these problems are rectified, it will immediately go into production.

------------------

I can now receive private messages

Heresy II

I didn't realize until now that I have owned the same pair of speakers for 16 years. They still sound good and are in great shape.

2. What was your age when you first purchased a Heritage series loudspeaker? 20

3. What is your current age? 36

When I heard them on the showroom floor I fell in love. And no matter how hard I try to convince myself to buy a different brand, I keep coming back to that wonderful, in-your-face, rich sound.

5. If you currently own some Heritage loudspeakers, and could purchase some more Klipsch speakers(new or used),

which ones would you purchase? Why?

Reference, legends, maybe synergy. I like several models in those lines for their unique personalities, so it would be hard to choose. Also depends on whether I have a fantasy budget or reality budget and if I have a fantasy wife or a reality wife.

6. Do you think the upcoming Jubilee should become part of the "Heritage" line, since it was also designed by PWK? Yes, only makes sense to put them in the Heritage line

• 3 weeks later...

1. What Heritage speakers have you owned, currently own, or want to own? Bought cornerhorns in '84, traded them for cornwalls and a (big) bag of dope in '85! Still have the cornerhorns.

2. What was your age when you first purchased a Heritage series loudspeaker? 27

3. What is your current age? 45

4. Why did you choose Heritage loudspeakers over another Klipsch model? I just loved all Klipshes.

5. If you currently own some Heritage loudspeakers, and could purchase some more Klipsch speakers(new or used), which ones would you purchase? Why? LaScala.

6. Do you think the upcoming Jubilee should become part of the "Heritage" line, since it was also designed by PWK? I don't know what it is! I better not check it out or I could be in trouble!!

Heresy's

Word of mouth and its reputation.

5. If you currently own some Heritage loudspeakers, and could purchase some more Klipsch speakers(new or used), which ones would you purchase? Why?

Need some SS-1s to finish up my SF-1, and SC-1 HT set. In the future...years off..would like to graduate up the Heritage line for 2 channel use.

6. Do you think the upcoming Jubilee should become part of the "Heritage" line, since it was also designed by PWK?

yes

quote:

Originally posted by ShapeShifter:

4. If you currently own some Heritage loudspeakers, and could purchase some more Klipsch speakers (new or used), which ones would you purchase? Why?

Klipschorns....Love their sound.

My goal to find an affordable pair of 70's K-horns materialized recently. I'm delighted to have found a fine pair of 1979 Klipschorns in Walnut Oil.

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

• 4 weeks later...

I currently own 1978 Heresys,1971 LaScalas,and a 2000 RC-3. I was 25 when I bought my first which were the Heresys. I am currently 49. I chose Heritage because the new fangled ones were not available then. I would purchase 2 K-Horns,and one LaScala. This would provide the ultimate HT. I could then use my Heresys with a leather strap for headphones. Yes I think the Jubilee should be included in the Heritage Line.

What heritage speakers would i like to own K-horns

Last night at 9:45 i brought home 1980s K-horns black designers!

Price $930.00. not a single scratch on them at all there like new, me and the wife love them!

Way to go, Wes and i, we got K-Horns not to far apart!

Regards Jim

4 Chorus 1s

1 set of K-horns and some

I own a pair of one owner 1981 Heresys. (I also own RP-3s). I always thought the Belles were cool, but when I heard them (only once), they didn't sound as good as the Klipschorn OR my Heresys. I need to listen to them again.

18 (those same Heresys I still own)

almost 40

4. Why did you choose Heritage loudspeakers over another Klipsch model? I couldn't afford any of the others.

I don't know if there is a current model that I could choose that I would prefer over my Rp-3s and my Heresys. If I were more motivated, I think I would work on my Son-of Heresy idea.

Depends upon how it sounds. No disrespect meant to PWK, but didn't Henry Ford push for the Edsel in his late years? Also, since the Jubilee was not on the market before PWK passed away, how do I know that someone else didn't monkey with the design afterwards?

------------------

Denon AVR-2700

Denon DCD1500-II

Audio Control Octave

Phillips CDR-765

Nakamichi BX-100

Sony PS-LX3

Rotel RB-991

Klipsch Heresy (1981)

Klipsch RP-3

B&W602

MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire

Computer system:

NAD 7130

Realistic Optimus Pro-7s (its only a computer system)

Klipsch KSW-10

Had Cornwall II from 1989 to 2001, Now I have

Klipschorns

Just because of their sound. I heard KHorns for the first time when I was 17, but I got money & corners just last year. I was really happy with CW, however.

Too bad I couldn't retain them...

Heresy. Great sound in a compact size

YES!!!!!!

Cheers

Mauro & '99 KHorns