Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
liebherr954

The last Blu-ray you watched.

Recommended Posts

So black panther, Annihilation and den if thieves and no input.

 

Last night watched Game Night. Decent but nothing to wright home about. Hoping Red Sparrow is better Sunday night

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rented from Redbox over Memorial Day weekend.

Related image

 

Absolutely loved it.

 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a love hate relationship with that movie... I absolutely love the acting and the art direction, but I hate the story where all the motivating elements arbitrarily perished in the final act in a wacky gun fight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On May 29, 2018 at 2:07 PM, Schu said:

28563716148_178fd8ec53_k.jpg

How was this movie...???...Interesting director....He wrote SUNSHINE, I like that movie....Haven't heard anything about this Film...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He did Sunshine, Ex-Machina... and Annihilation is right in line with those other science fiction master pieces.

to me, it's an amazing movie with top notch acting and writing. I can see it why struggled at the box office with wider audiences because it's story line relies heavily on subtext and interpretational analysis... the movie is not mindless drivel. if you were looking at this movie only superficially, one would get bogged down in factual improbabilities.

 

give it a try, specially if you had any affection for Danny Boyles Sunshine.

 

post script:

Danny Boyle is directing 27th James Bond movie coming up!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  I watched new newly released remaster (just released this week) of Sergio Corbucci's "The Great Silence" (1968) staring Klaus Kinski and Jean Trintignat and a very familiar young Vonetta McGee who was in the Original Repoman movie... of course this movie is all tied up with a magnificent Morricone score.

It is the story of a mute avenging Angel for those of whom who were hunted and killed by godless bounty hunters. This is in direct contrast to Sergio Leones bounty hunters which were usually all good guys out to get the bad men that were deemed undesirable by society. Never told were the stories of these "bountied men", also loved and that had a back stories of being loved.

Corbucci's great silence is a direct influence for much of Tarantinos Hateful Eight and this includes some direct homages by Tarantino to this original. Frankly, Corbucci does it a little better, but I still love the hateful eight.

In the great silence the mute Hunter seems out and kills bounty hunters until he eventually finds Klaus Kinski who himself was responsible for killing the silences loved ones. During the trip thru gorgeous snow filled mountain scenery, the silence meets a widow (vonette Mcgee) who's husband was killed by a bounty man and wants silence to avenge his death. The silence and the widow eventually fall in love and the movie come to a peak at the end when kinski and the silence go head to head for a final duel.

Like real life, most Italian movies, and many peckinpah movies, things don't follow the westernized idea of film making and storyline trajectories... so be prepared for a depressing ending.

This is a fantastic movie available on Amazon Prime for free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone is into the classics, both screen and music wise, I'd highly recommend this copy. The picture was excellent on my budget setup (Epson 2150 and Silver Ticket 120").  The soundtrack was superb and really made the atmosphere, almost like it wasn't there but just a feeling. Not trying to get poetic, that's just my best way of saying what it did for me.

 

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQoGpUDZNgs9kqvi81kn3jLHP8hxSDgmm2Uba474oIbH61JA0&usqp=CAY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

which version... Nosferatu has been released in many versions that all have different sound tracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Schu said:

which version... Nosferatu has been released in many versions that all have different sound tracks.

This version by Kino Classics has a reconstruction of Hans Erdmann's original 1922 score by Berndt Heller and performed by the Saarbrucken Radio Symphony Orchestra in 5.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice...

I saw Nosferatu once with a completely new modern ambient soundtrack and it was amazingly good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched Planet Earth II in 4K on my Mom's 70 inch TV  last weekend and was blown away. The Jungle episode with the hummingbirds especially was spectacular. I watched parts of Fellowship of the Ring on DVD to help dial in the subwoofer right before and going from upscaled DVD to 4K was like someone washing Vaseline out of my eyes. The sound quality from DVD to 4K codec was also surprising on how much more rich and non fatiguing it was. David Attenborough is great as always too. Next up will probably be Gladiator in 4K.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have never watched earth II in 4k... but at some point I will. I have Samsara in 8k and it's outrageously spectacular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought this may be a fun thread to see what people are watching and give others some ideas of what to rent or buy.

Ill start with this.

colombiana.jpg

I really enjoyed this movie excellent picture and audio, a pretty good story too.


bea373d585ab1e75111f7785fd95ff09.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Schu said:

I still have never watched earth II in 4k... but at some point I will. I have Samsara in 8k and it's outrageously spectacular.

 

Samsara in any resolution is a spectacular experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Schu said:

He did Sunshine, Ex-Machina... and Annihilation is right in line with those other science fiction master pieces.

to me, it's an amazing movie with top notch acting and writing. I can see it why struggled at the box office with wider audiences because it's story line relies heavily on subtext and interpretational analysis... the movie is not mindless drivel. if you were looking at this movie only superficially, one would get bogged down in factual improbabilities.

 

give it a try, specially if you had any affection for Danny Boyles Sunshine.

 

post script:

Danny Boyle is directing 27th James Bond movie coming up!

I watched this recently and i had the opposite view. I loved sunshine and ex machina but this was just awful. I read the books years ago and for the life of me i have no idea why you would make a movie about a book and then change it. Some of the best stuff from the book, the really creepy other worldly stuff, was not even in there. The movie does have a striking design but it is rather plodding with some pretty giant leaps of faith needed by the viewer. I wont get into that. I was expecting the book and i got something that was maybe 25% of the book. 

 

Glad you liked it though. I wish more people would make more adventurous movies like this guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2018 at 9:03 PM, rplace said:

So black panther, Annihilation and den if thieves and no input.

 

Last night watched Game Night. Decent but nothing to wright home about. Hoping Red Sparrow is better Sunday night

I really liked den of theives. The two major gunbattles gave my PSA's a work out. I thought game night was pretty weak and the best stuff was in the trailers. Not even bateman could save that one. What did you think of red sparrow? I thought it was pretty boring and not a very good spymovie. Not sure if it was meant to be. Reminded me of "Charm School" by Nelson Demille. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dm465531 said:

I watched this recently and i had the opposite view. I loved sunshine and ex machina but this was just awful. I read the books years ago and for the life of me i have no idea why you would make a movie about a book and then change it. Some of the best stuff from the book, the really creepy other worldly stuff, was not even in there. The movie does have a striking design but it is rather plodding with some pretty giant leaps of faith needed by the viewer. I wont get into that. I was expecting the book and i got something that was maybe 25% of the book. 

 

Glad you liked it though. I wish more people would make more adventurous movies like this guy.

 

I understand that view... but the movie has nothing to do with the books. I never get that need to make a comparison, both stand on their own as separate entities and making comparisons will nearly always fail. If this book movie view was legitimate I could never love 2001: A Space Oddysey, A Clockwork Orange, Blade Runner or many many more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Schu said:

 

I understand that view... but the movie has nothing to do with the books. I never get that need to make a comparison, both stand on their own as separate entities and making comparisons will nearly always fail. If this book movie view was legitimate I could never love 2001: A Space Oddysey, A Clockwork Orange, Blade Runner or many many more.

 To me that is just a fallacy. Of course it has something to do with the books.  They usually take liberties with the story to make it work better on the screen but the core story is always based on the book they take the idea from and most times the exact name of the book and then have tie in novels which are just the novel reissued with a new cover.

 

I agree that they are usually always different and should be viewed differently and one of the most popular examples of this is The Shining. I watched the movie long before I read the novel and they are both different yes but still have the same characters and basic story line. Kubrik had his own vision for the story though, especially the ending, and he did what he wanted.  

 

Sometimes the difference in the two mediums help to flesh out a story or take it in different directions but in my opinion the movie Annihilation, which is the same title of the book, took it to far. While it had the same core story about a barrier and people going into it the changing of characters motivations, the way they act, what is actually in the barrier strayed to far from what made the book interesting and enjoyable.  There was just to many things missing from the story that made it not enjoyable for me. 

 

But to each their own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Schu said:

 

I understand that view... but the movie has nothing to do with the books. I never get that need to make a comparison, both stand on their own as separate entities and making comparisons will nearly always fail. If this book movie view was legitimate I could never love 2001: A Space Oddysey, A Clockwork Orange, Blade Runner or many many more.

 

I agree.  But sometimes I compare, anyway, not to determine which is "better," but to enjoy the sense of discovery in so doing.

 

2001: A Space Oddysey was an interesting case.   I simply loved the movie and liked the book.  Arthur C. Clarke said (in The Lost Worlds of 2001) that, although one of the core ideas was based on his The Sentinel, the book and movie 2001 (co-authored by Kubrick) were written at the same time, "with feedback in both directions."  Before they started, Kubrick gave Clarke a Joseph Campbell book, saying, "Here, read this."

 

I always bristle when someone says, "The book," [any book?], is always better."  They are different.  In the case of 2001, the movie worked sensually, visually, and musically.  Each use of Zarathustra was a numinous event, with the visual and the musical demonstrating that the whole can be greater than the sum of the parts.  As Zeffirelli wrote to Kubrick, "You made me dream, eyes wide open."  The book, to me, seemed to be a thread through the many possible ideas and resonances of the movie, de-emphasizing some, omitting some, and providing a rich, detailed, sometimes over-specific, quick and warm read, in Clarke's usual manner.  In Jerome Agel's The Making of Kubrick's 2001 [try the library; through Amazon the used paperback is $40, or $99 for a new copy] letters from film goers trying to interpret the movie are reproduced.  Kubrick wrote back to one of them congratulating them on hitting so many bases.  

 

I read The Joy Luck Club before seeing the movie.  People who had not yet seen the movie (and perhaps never did) assured me that the book would, naturally, be better.  It wasn't.  They were different. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...