How hard is it to veneer cabinets?

Boomzilla

My 80's vintage La Scalas have seen a hard, hard life. I don't know what the previous owner did with them, but they're gouged, scuffed, beaten, and ugly. I asked here previously about just covering them with contact paper, and was told (in emphatic tones) not to do that.

I'd like for the speakers to look nice (maybe even very nice) since they're in the living room. I've thought about filling & painting the cabinets, filling & sanding the cabinets, or building new cabinets, but then I thought about using some iron-on wood veneer to cover the things. Is this feasible?

I like the idea of Volti's braces & grilles for the bass cabinet too, but putting them on my speakers in the condition that the speakers are currently in would be like adding lipstick to a pig. Ideas?

Filling, sanding and painting will work wonders. Filling, sanding and putting new veneer on them can also be a beautiful thing, and perhaps easier in the long run. My LS are in pretty nice shape, so I have left them, but I've seen both of the above mentioned methods on the forum and they have ended up with beautiful speakers.

Bruce

Might I ask what type of paint would be appropriate? What colors?

If veneer is to be used, the iron-on types seem to come in 2-foot wide strips only. How easy is it to make an unnoticeable seam? Once veneer is applied is any finish (tung oil, polyethylene, lacquer, etc.) feasible?

How easy is it to make an unnoticeable seam? Once veneer is applied is any finish (tung oil, polyethylene, lacquer, etc.) feasible?

In looking at possibly re-veneering my K-horns, I've found Greg Roberts of Volti Audio, GroomlakeArea51 (Marshall), and Heli001 (W.C.), to be very knowledgeable and helpful on veneering and re-finishing issues. FWIW, I didn't find anyone else, in the MD or VA area, who had anything like their expertise. It also looks like expertise in disassembling and reassembling Klipsch products is important as well.

Those are the three I would suggest turning to for advice and even possibly doing the job.

The LS doesn't really require too much disassembly. The Khorn, on the otherhand, can be broken down a bit more for this work. The harder part on the LS is fitting veneer pieces for the doghouse. It looks like a major pain from what I have sen others do.

I know a lot are happy with Joe Woodworker's 'HeatLock' glue, which is really PVA glue that you put on both surfaces, let dry a bit and then apply high heat, via an old clothes iron.

Bruce

Boonzilla,

There are several sites that offer very good tutorials on applying veneer. Check these two out:

http://www.veneersupplies.com/default.php?cPath=51

http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/

Do a little reading and decide for yourself if you feel like you can tackle the project. The rewards for DIY are great and if you take your time you will end up with beautiful cabinets. the prep work is the hardest and you must be patient. If you try to "Hurry" it along, that is usually where you will get into trouble. GroomlakeArea51 (Marshall) also has several great tutorials on this Forum and he does an excellent step by step photo tutorial on Veneering. I do not have the links but do a search under Heresy and Veneer and they should be there. The La Scala Dog House is tedious to veneer, as the cuts need to be very precise and the pieces in the very back of the cabinet are tough, but doable. If you go with the grilles, that will eliminate the very back of the opening, as it will be behind the grilles. If you are a "Purist" (sp), you will want to veneer all of it. Again, if you decide to DIY, the rewards will far outweigh the time it takes, to do it right and you will end up with a beautiful set of cabinets. Painting is also a very good option but the prep is far greater than it is for veneering. I have seen some beautiful painted finishes on the Heritage Line of speakers. The Birch finish, if the grain pattern is good can also be o good choice as long as they are not beat up too badly and the sanding will not go through the firdt layer of the original Birch finish. Hope that made some sense.....

Good LUCK.........!

Filling, sanding and painting will work wonders. Filling, sanding and putting new veneer on them can also be a beautiful thing, and perhaps easier in the long run...

Bruce

I'm thinking of using the doghouse grilles so that I don't have to fiddle with the inside of the horn. I'm also thinking of separating the top from the doghouse with a "separator plate" for looks and adding a footer (ala Heresies & Cornwalls) again for looks. While I'm at it, I plan to move the squawker & tweeter horn mounts to the front of the baffle board & cover them with a grille that matches the doghouse grilles. An ambitious project, I know, but I do plan on keeping the things...

I did pretty much everything you're describing to a pair of beater La Scalas...Here's the finished product:

Yessir! Now THAT'S what I had in mind! I don't plan to port my bass cabinets because I'm running a subwoofer under my La Scalas. I'm also thinking of using a significantly darker veneer (but that's just a matter of choice). Your speakers look absolutely AWESOME! I've always wondered why Uncle Paul didn't choose to use a discreet squawker/tweeter housing on the La Scalas like he did on the Belle & K-Horn. They finally got smart about the time of the La Scala II and made the boxes much better looking, IMHO.

The veneer I'm leaning toward is this:

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae119/gysafety/ebony.jpg

I'd also like a bit more info on the actual process of doing the veneering - I see multiple methods of application:

Vacuum pump (DEFINITELY not for me)

Iron-on (maybe)

And "Self-adhesive" (sounds easy)

The online retailers also say to "cut the veneer to your edges with a veneer-cutting knife." What the dickens is a veneer-cutting knife? Pardon my ignorance, but I'd REALLY like for my speakers to turn out nice. THANKS for the help

Boomzilla said:

Yessir! Now THAT'S what I had in mind! I don't plan to port my bass cabinets because I'm running a subwoofer under my La Scalas. I'm also thinking of using a significantly darker veneer (but that's just a matter of choice). Your speakers look absolutely AWESOME! I've always wondered why Uncle Paul didn't choose to use a discreet squawker/tweeter housing on the La Scalas like he did on the Belle & K-Horn. They finally got smart about the time of the La Scala II and made the boxes much better looking, IMHO.

"Uncle Paul" designed the Belle Klipsch speaker for ONE reason! He was a life-long proponent of the three-speaker stereo array, and once he tried a LaScala for a center channel between two K-horns, he wanted to build a pretty version of it to match his K-horns at home and get a high WAF from his first wife, Belle! So, PWK actually DID what you were wondering about!

Andy

• Like 1

I did some searches for you, lots of time you search and find topics that are interesting and keep you occupied all night but they wern't the ones that you really wanted. I search for the word that I want to find separated by AND, this keeps your seareches of all of your key items you are looking for.

In this first search the key items are

GroomlakeArea51 AND heresy AND veneering

http://forums.klipsch.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=GroomlakeArea51+AND+heresy+AND+veneering&o=Relevance

With this search I found this first topic

Re-Veneering question

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/132826/1348180.aspx#1348180

and Groomlakearea51

posted a link to his Heresy Veneering topic

Help,I May Need A New Crossover and Cabinet Reglue For A Heresy II, 1986

most of grooms stuff starts on page 2

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/109693.aspx

He also reclaimed some $500 Klipschorns and there is some great info in that topic

The $500 Klipschorn Saga....

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/109618.aspx

Gothover salvaged these LaScalas and also ported them, lots of work to reclame them and build to the ideas that he had which included a very nice veneered finish.

I have a Project -- La Scala Restore

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/135733.aspx?PageIndex=1

Anyway that ought to keep you busy for a bit and give you some ideas of what is possible with just about any of the Heritage line of speakers. Have fun and make sure you have a camera before you start yours and you can add yours for others to enjoy.

those would be good black formica and metal trim candidates. veneering clean wood with imperfections is more of an art than a science and when you get into the scruffy realm your going to spend a lot of time unscruffying them. high cost for supplies, tools, your time, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I have re-veneered old cabinets and veneering newly built cabinets. It is not that hard. I purchased a large lot of aircraft grade veneer which is wood backed and slightly thicker than standard veneer. It is a dream to work with. This veneer is used in customization of private jets. It is flame retardant.

I used the standard Titebond II iron on glue method using a Kroger (other other brown grocery bag) and a $7 Wal-Mart (we say "Wal-Marts" in the south). Hard to screw it up. I rolled on two coats of glued on the substrate and veneer using a $1 foam roller tray from Dollar Tree or a cheapy from Wal-Mart. Put the roller and tray in ziplock bags to keep them from drying out during the rolling process. I've use this technique on subs, tables, cc's, and surrounds and never had a problem. I usually flush trim the edges then cover with solid wood corner pieces and flush trim and roundover.

I have quite a bit of veneer if you're interested (sheets and strips of cherry, quartered figured etimoe, blistered anigre, wenge, etc). Here are a few pics of project and veneers (quartered figured eucalyptus and red gum).

IMG_3269.jpg photo

IMG_3264.jpg photo

IMG_3256.jpg photo

DSCN2253.jpg photo

A good professional furniture refinisher can work wonders. It's well worth the investment. I purchased a pair of vintage 1986 K-Horns in junkyard shape and turned them into pristine condition for a minimal price. Email me at (mgjedd@att.net) and I'll send you some before and after pictures.

• 1 year later...