Don't be stupid, use a ladder. *semi-nsfw*

Thaddeus Smith

I was working on my arcade cabinet last night and foolishly chose to use my little makeshift bench to stand on. It's about 2.5ft tall, 5ft long, and 1ft wide. Very unstable and only for sitting and small projects. But I only needed to do something real quick and didn't want to go out to my barn to fetch a ladder.

i was drilling some holes and suddenly realized that my dust was finding it's way to some parts I had freshly painted about 15 minutes earlier. In my rush to try and fix that new issue the rickety bench tipped over from under my legs and I suddenly found myself on my back with my *** firmly planted on the toppled over bench. My first fear was that i was suddenly a paraplegic. So i made sure I could wiggle my toes. Then I was in shock that i was even on the ground. I spent a good 5 minutes laying down to catch my bearings before I tried to get up. I'm very fortunate that I did not hit my head on the concrete slab. I slept like crap and planned to go to the Dr. today if I found myself unable to move when I woke up.

it looks like I'll come away from this with some bruising and possible deep tissue damage, but no apparent broken bones/spine/etc and no head trauma. The bruising has gotten worse throughout the day, but this is what it looked like at lunch. Enjoy my *** crack and don't make my stupid mistake - use a ladder and in a safe manner.

ass.jpg

A few months ago my pull down attic stairway gave out while I was on it and and dumped my happy @$$ to the concrete below.

Like you I laid there for a few minutes to "assess" the damage.

In the end I hadn't broken anything but D@MN was I sore for a few weeks.

No... I didn't take any pictures but my lower back was pretty ugly for a while.

• Moderators

That looks really terrible, and for the red marks they don't look so great either, that's going to hurt for a while.

Glad your somewhat OK, it could have been alot worse, and please tell the wife to make sure the baby is out of range when your working on stuff.

In before deletion.

Well, us deputies don't carry too much weight here but I'd suggest it should remain. Darn good object lesson. As a training professional in the oil industry safety isn't just a slogan.

My company not only enforces use of proper equipment for work at height, but a fall restraint for any height over 4 feet.

Maybe you think that's overkill at home, but at LEAST ensure there is an individual tasked with steadying the ladder if you a more than a few feet up.

Frankly, we should all take a good, hard look at that picture and LEARN. As Thaddeus mentioned, he's lucky. Head's aren't as hard as they are cracked up to be. Double entendre intentional...

Dave

• Moderators

Frankly, we should all take a good, hard look at that picture and LEARN.

True, it seems like my worst accidents were from things used incorrectly or I was in a rush and tried to "get by" to save time.

My wife did tell me this morning you were showing your qss on facebook, now it's everywhere. [:o]

In before deletion.

Well, us deputies don't carry too much weight here but I'd suggest it should remain. Darn good object lesson. As a training professional in the oil industry safety isn't just a slogan.

My company not only enforces use of proper equipment for work at height, but a fall restraint for any height over 4 feet.

Maybe you think that's overkill at home, but at LEAST ensure there is an individual tasked with steadying the ladder if you a more than a few feet up.

Frankly, we should all take a good, hard look at that picture and LEARN. As Thaddeus mentioned, he's lucky. Head's aren't as hard as they are cracked up to be. Double entendre intentional...

Dave

as much as I enjoy flashing my crack at you guys for a good chuckle, this was indeed my purpose for posting. my father in law just about lost a finger using a metal lathe and my dad nearly lost an eye milling a small log on his band saw - we all had a laugh, but i made sure to take lessons from their errors.

i made sure to take lessons from their errors.

It's good medicine........thaddeussmith, Thank you......I always need reminding of how patience is a virtue. Because being patient is a pain in the........well..... it's definitely not that painful. It's always hard to take those extra few moments to be safe when your on the move and in a good rhythm when working. This post will remind me to be a little more careful during this holiday season when doing things around the house, and everywhere else so I can hopefully enjoy many more......Thanks again Thadeussmith, hope you heel well and fast.....[Y]