On The Cusp of a Classic Thebesian Dilemma

thebes

Got lucky, or so it seems to me. Picked up original pressings of Parliament's "One Nation Under a Groove" and Kool and the Gang's best offering "Spirit of the Boogie". Both for less than $50 combined.

Still sealed. Unopened. Virginal.

I have a excellent re-release of the latter on 180g vinyl, and a very good +++ of the former, so I'm not hurting for my sonic thrills on two albums I consider to be very, very high up on the Thebesian pantheon of musical nirvana.

Excited about popping the cherry on these, but equal amounts of trepidation. How many still sealed original pressings can possibly be left? After all, once played they are damaged goods, suddenly older and wiser, copping an attitude. Possibly looking around for a warmer bed.

Oops. Went off on a tangent there. But. Never hesitated before. Music is to be played, and I'm a player.

On the other hand, what if I accidentally drop one into a vat of acid. Hey, it could happen, I am the Thebes after all.

Ah, pish posh old Thebes go ahead and give them a spin.

But I'm ascaired!

You can see my dilemma folks so help me out. I need some totally rational, wildly emotional advise. Oh man, my left legs starting to shake, just like it used to when Mary Sue Bazooms used to walk down the hall. Help!

Such a quandary... open them and enjoy or hold 'em and wait for the market to value them more than you do. I go through this more often than I should and unfortunately, I have no good advise to pass along. First, I'm a sucker for sealed records - I'll buy anything that's still sealed except for Andy, Perry, Barbara and their ilk. I've come across a lot of sealed records in the used bins in the last 30 years and have boxes upon boxes full with no intention of ever crackin' 'em open. I also buy several new LPs each month and my ratio of playing used records to new ones is about 15:1 so I may open 4 or 5 new albums a month if I'm spinning a lot of vinyl. The result is that I have a pretty large backlog of sealed records that eventually end up in the stacks... forgotten. Those are the ones that bring me the most trouble as I may come across them years later, when the record is OOP (out of print) and the market price may be double, triple or more of what I originally paid. Now comes the dilemma and if I really want to give it a listen, of course I'll open it but more often than not, I just put it back and forget about it. If I'm not married to the mastering or have another decent copy, it'll probably never see the light of day given my propensities (read: laziness). If I haven't opened the album within a year or so, I tend to factor in such things as market value and the possibility that there may be a flaw in the record and I'm long past returning it for a replacement or refund and that really makes it difficult decision. I have at least a hundred MOFI, Nautilus, Classic Records and other audiophile titles and hundreds of vintage LPs that are sealed and will most likely remain so until I pass and my wife packs them off to Goodwill or worse, the dump. Even knowing their fate and how foolish I'm being, I just can not bring myself to cutting each and every one open...yet it'd be so cathartic and I'd be FREE!.

Sorry Marty, wish I could've offered you some thoughts to make your decision easier but I'm afraid I made things worse..Oh well.

Thebes . . . sacrifice a couple of chickens (on the grill) to Poly Urethane (the unchaste goddess of vinyl) and set the spirits of George and Kool free! P.S. . . . Do not forget to pour libations to Poly!

Dee, I got these off ebay. Just go the record category and then sub-search by typing in "sealed" or "SS" for still sealed. You'll find mostly dreck, but then again, occasionally you come across jewels like these albums.

Thanks guys, now I'm more confused then ever. The consensus is leaning towards let them spin, but J(ay)Bryan's carefully considered response is giving me pause.

I too have probably 50 or 60 sealed albums, most worthless musically , not my style of music, and a few worth some modest amounts. Typically, though, if it's anything I like it gets played as soon as I can get the shrinkwrap off.

I think it's time to hear a few more opinions and dither some more.

Dither. Now that would be a great name for a band.

No opinion on playing the records or keeping them sealed but, I like the quote by Roosevelt.

It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the
strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face
is marred by the dust and sweat and blood and who, at worst, if he
fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall
never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or
defeat.
THEODORE ROOSEVELT

On second thought, open them up and let the music play.[:P] For Klipschster's, it is all about the sound.

• Moderators

Music is to be played, and I'm a player.

You know you want it, and this is not just any old recording it's the king of funk. [H]

I do believe there is a rule with Parliament, no sitting still in your sweet spot, moving is required.