Need Advice for new DAC

Gorm

So here is my current line up. I only listen to FLAC files through my media server...at the moment.

Computer - Logitech Duet - Bushmaster TC-7530DC DAC - Fisher 500c - Cornscalas

I suspect my current DAC of not being the best option in my setup. I think I would benefit from a Tube DAC in that position.

Does anyone have any experience with the Jolida FX Tube DAC III? I like the idea of running it through 12ax7 tubes. I have a pair of Telefunken tubes I would love to demo on one of those on my system.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Edited by Gorm

Gorm,

I have no experience with tube DAC's but I can recommend a SS DAC. The Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus is a very reasonably priced option.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/da-converters-cambridge-audio-dacmagic-plus-d-a-converter-new-with-full-warranty-and-free-shipping-2014-01-03-digital-01060

DacMagicplusF.jpgDacMagicPlus.jpg

Or it's baby brother DacMagic100.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/da-converters-cambridge-audio-dacmagic-100-d-a-converter-new-with-full-warranty-and-free-shipping-2014-01-05-digital-01060

DacMagic100front.jpgDacMagic100rear_jpg.jpg

I have owned the previous generation DacMagic and it performed wonderfully, as well as (3) 840C CD player/DACs.

Bill

I've had great luck with this tube DAC. It's set up so that it works with two different systems and sounds great with both while converting MOG off a PC. Never heard the Jolida.

I have the D1 with upgraded op amp and a bendix tube and it sounds great. Good price for them too ;)

Guest David H

I had one of the original Jolida tube DAC's it was horrible, however I suspect gen 3 has corrected the issues.

I ditched the Jolida and purchased and Emotiva. Recently I replaced the Emotiva with an Oppo 105 as a Dac.

I am still amazed the Jolida DAC is listed as an ultralinear class A/B

Dave

Jolida DAC

Technical Specifications:
Output Level: 2.0V Frequency Response: (at 1 watt into 8 ohms) 8Hz to 130KHz + 1dB Bandwidth: 10Hz to 70kHz + 1dB Distortion THD: Less than 0.02% tube out (1kHz) Circuit Type: Ultra Linear, Class AB Noise and Hum: 85dB Tube Complement: 2 pcs. 12AX7 pre-amplifier Power Requirements: 110V-120 VAC 60Hz 90 watts-standby, 240 watts maximum (220 VAC 50Hz option) Dimensions: 8 inches wide by 7 inches deep by 3 inches high Weight: 6.5 pounds net, approximately 8 pounds packaged Warranty: 6 month limited parts and labor. Three months on the tubes Fuse: 110 - 120 VAC, 1 Amp slo Blo; 200 - 240 VAC, .5 Amp Slo Blo
Edited by GotHover

So here is my current line up. I only listen to FLAC files through my media server...at the moment.

Computer - Logitech Duet - Bushmaster TC-7530DC DAC - Fisher 500c - Cornscalas

I suspect my current DAC of not being the best option in my setup. I think I would benefit from a Tube DAC in that position.

Does anyone have any experience with the Jolida FX Tube DAC III? I like the idea of running it through 12ax7 tubes. I have a pair of Telefunken tubes I would love to demo on one of those on my system.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

I own both the Grant Fidelity DAC09 ( in one system) and their DAC11 in another. I've been very happy with both and either provide all kinds of options for tube rolling. The DAC09 uses the 5670/396A tube and the DAC11 an EC88/6922.6DJ8 tube. The DAC11 is their current tube DAC while DAC09's come up for sale infrequently and they get snapped up quickly too.

Wb

• Like 1

The Bel Canto is superb!!! It is very expensive but your DAC search would be over.

If you like the Grant Fidelity DAC09 you will really like the MHDT Havana which is a step above the DAC09. The Havana doesn't have as much flexibility as the DAC09 but I liked it better. The DacMagic was nice but I kept hearing an irritating sibilance at around 5khz so I didn't keep it for long.

I used my Havana with a Scott 299b for a long time. I think it would be a wonderful match for the Fisher 500c!

If you win the lottery get the Bel Canto and some VRDs!

I've had great luck with this tube DAC. It's set up so that it works with two different systems and sounds great with both while converting MOG off a PC. Never heard the Jolida.

Those look nice. Very affordable.

Bill

I have owned two of the Maverick units, the D1 and D2. Still have the D2 with a WE tube in it. I got the D2 when it first came out about 3 years ago and it has been trouble free and used daily.

I got a Benchmark DAC-2 for X-mas to replace my DAC-1. I highly recommend the DAC-2. I used a tube buffer with my DAC-1..........absolutely unnecessary with a DAC-2. However, plan on dishing out about $2K. A Benchmark will be in the BelCanto range of sound quality. It's up there. The DAC-2 is also a preamp and has a ton of inputs (digial and analog) and outputs for 3 separate systems.

My DAC-1 USB is for sale for $650 if interested. Also, an excellent DAC.

I got a Benchmark DAC-2 for X-mas to replace my DAC-1. I highly recommend the DAC-2. I used a tube buffer with my DAC-1..........absolutely unnecessary with a DAC-2. However, plan on dishing out about $2K. A Benchmark will be in the BelCanto range of sound quality. It's up there. The DAC-2 is also a preamp and has a ton of inputs (digial and analog) and outputs for 3 separate systems.

My DAC-1 USB is for sale for $650 if interested. Also, an excellent DAC.

I am also looking at the DAC2 L version Did you realize that they have a DAC 2 without a headphone amp and jacks for $200 less. It also has a much cleaner faceplate than the HGC version? How did you use a tape buffer with the DAC-1 and what was it for????

I am also looking at a Mytek DAC which is in the same league. I may order them both and decide. Both have 30 day trials.

They do sound great...I'm looking to solve a buzzing or "mechanical" type sound I'm getting with my current DAC. When I switch to the Squeezebox DAC that sound goes away....but so does the detail, warmth, 3D sound and image.

My budget it probably around 1000 for the DAC.

I have no experience with the Jolida but can highly recommend the Wavelength Brick from Gordon Rankin. There is one available on Agon right now with an asking price of $749.00. I think I paid $1800.00 plus shipping a couple of years ago.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/da-converters-wavelength-brick-v2-asynchronous-usb-dac-2013-12-27-digital-03087-windham-nh

I have no experience with the Jolida but can highly recommend the Wavelength Brick from Gordon Rankin. There is one available on Agon right now with an asking price of $749.00. I think I paid $1800.00 plus shipping a couple of years ago.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/da-converters-wavelength-brick-v2-asynchronous-usb-dac-2013-12-27-digital-03087-windham-nh

It's not 24/96?

It's not 24/96?

Nice catch!!! Version 3 is 24/96.