How to "listen"?

Thaddeus Smith

Great feedback and resources guys..

I've heard Klipschorns, La Scala's, some sort of large bass bin/horn combo at Don Davis' house, Chorus II's, RF-7s, RF-5s, Rudy's Oris horns and bass bins, Carl's KPT + bass bin combo, and now my Cornwalls.

I guess my perceived problem was that so far I've liked them all. Each setup was definitely different, yet just as appealing in their own unique way. So I thought maybe I wasn't discerning enough or too lax in my critical listening skills. I guess I just need to stop browsing the hi fi websites and trust my own ears.

I think somebody posted this here but I can't find it... anyway it is an interesting story and he connects you with some good advice: http://www.positive-...e66/reader9.htm
Bingo. Questions 22-25 of his Developing Critical Listening Skills document are priceless. :wink:

I think I had seen this article in passing at some point and is what I had in mind (but couldn't find) when I posed the question. Saved locally for future review.

Also, I get that since I'm the one listening to it 98% of the time it should be what's most pleasing to my ears. HOWEVER, there's a certain je ne sais quoi to having a system that is universally appreciated by guests. I'm not out to convert the masses, but taking someone out to my room for a casual listening after dinner adds a little bit of pleasure to the whole pursuit. I think it's called "the humble brag" ;)

Pay attention to set up, sweat the details. Speaker placement, room treatment, placement of your listening seat, etc. These things will reap more dividends than that new amplifier you have your eye on.

Get these thing right, and if all else is up to snuff, you will impress your dinner guests......

Shakey

• Like 3

What I found over the years is that when it comes to Klipsch bigger is better. No Khorn or lascala ever competed with the sound qualities of a properly implemented MCM setup if you get what I'm saying. If you want more true to life "live" sound.......go bigger. Go as big as you can.

• Like 1

I guess my perceived problem was that so far I've liked them all.

This is a PROBLEM? These are the finest speakers the human race has to offer. What's not to like?

I have noted a lot of approving of the "...sweat the details..." comment. I certainly don't disapprove if that is what a person wants to do, but my own approach is to sweat nothing but getting my system set up to play music. Sure, I make certain my TTs are properly setup, polarity is maintained, AC and signal doesn't cross, etc but beyond that I sweat nothing. Once setup in a decent space if anything else really must be done it will be self apparent.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: There are two basic classes of audiophile, and both are perfectly right. One bunch "sweat the details" of each and every piece of equipment, its relation to the rest of the chain, calculation of room acoustics, etc, etc, and is totally immersed and edified, and the other just wants to hear Miles Dave ASAP without distraction.

I am the latter. As I said earlier, if there are equipment or other issues that really impact the musical experience they will manifest themselves without looking for them.

Dave

One bunch "sweat the details" of each and every piece of equipment, its relation to the rest of the chain, calculation of room acoustics, etc, etc, and is totally immersed and edified, and the other just wants to hear Miles Dave ASAP without distraction.

There is a happy medium to be had here. I just happen to fall into both categories.

Shakey

There is a happy medium to be had here. I just happen to fall into both categories.

Wouldn't say I never visit the "mess around a bit" area of my equipment... It CAN be fun but I am usually not rewarded with a "revelatory" experience. To the extent we all enjoy our systems for WHATEVER reasons, they are good things.

I've made it clear over the years I do not in anyway disbelieve another audiophile who says they can tell the difference between one interconnect and another. I have no reason to doubt them and just because I can't...and don't really want to, in no way invalidates their experience.

I can tell two things about interconnects: 1. When they are working. 2. When they are not. :P

Dave

• Like 1

I've made it clear over the years I do not in anyway disbelieve another audiophile who says they can tell the difference between one interconnect and another. I have no reason to doubt them and just because I can't...and don't really want to, in no way invalidates their experience.

More "audiophiles" should think this way. There would be far less arguments. That said, I tend to fall into the "can hear the difference" category.

Shakey

I think I just spend too much time on the other forums/sites and not enough time here in "practical land". The computer audiophile guys argue down to the PC SATA cables and x brand vs y brand of hard drive used. I'm waiting for someone to design a noiseless air filter to increase your sound wave fidelity and purify your wireless data transmissions. :blink:

I guess i just wondered if maybe I was too generous in my appreciation of gear and not nearly serious enough about this whole endeavor if I can't find any sort of worthwhile critique as i listen. Maybe I've just been spoiled by hearing already well sorted systems. :emotion-55:

• Like 1

What I found over the years is that when it comes to Klipsch bigger is better. No Khorn or lascala ever competed with the sound qualities of a properly implemented MCM setup if you get what I'm saying. If you want more true to life "live" sound.......go bigger. Go as big as you can.

Give me that big PA sound.

Good grief Mark, did you have to go and drink the whole jug (kool-aid). :)

I think I just spend too much time on the other forums/sites and not enough time here in "practical land". The computer audiophile guys argue down to the PC SATA cables and x brand vs y brand of hard drive used. I'm waiting for someone to design a noiseless air filter to increase your sound wave fidelity and purify your wireless data transmissions. :blink:

I guess i just wondered if maybe I was too generous in my appreciation of gear and not nearly serious enough about this whole endeavor if I can't find any sort of worthwhile critique as i listen. Maybe I've just been spoiled by hearing already well sorted systems. :emotion-55:

It is probably easy to second guess one's decisions in audio gear. Sometimes it does take another to reassure you that you are on track, however, as has been said, whatever makes you happy.

Good Fortune