Off the beaten path music you enjoy

joessportster

I had one of Frank Zappa's cassette's Sheik yerbouti that went south long ago and recently picked up a new copy on CD along with Joe's garage.

Definitely off the beaten path, good stuff.

IMHO Frank Zappa is the exact opposite, the very antithesis of 'Off The Beaten Path'.

He may not be everybodies cup of tea but his body of work is immense and spans several genres; rock, symphonic, and jazz. He's universally held by his peers as hugely influential and the critics as a musical genius.

Now ron to be fair when is the last time you heard anybody say they are on there way to the store to buy some ZAPPA, Despite what the critics or peers say :D

However on that note i found a 3 disc japan press Zappa album that i paid very handsomely to get (50.00 :angry: ) "Shut up an play your guitar"

I had one of Frank Zappa's cassette's Sheik yerbouti that went south long ago and recently picked up a new copy on CD along with Joe's garage.

IMHO Frank Zappa is the exact opposite, the very antithesis of 'Off The Beaten Path'.

He may not be everybodies cup of tea but his body of work is immense and spans several genres; rock, symphonic, and jazz. He's universally held by his peers as hugely influential and the critics as a musical genius.

However on that note i found a 3 disc japan press Zappa album that i paid very handsomely to get (50.00 :angry: ) "Shut up an play your guitar"

I have a mint vinyl copy of that!! I can honestly say it's only had a track or two played on it one time. The rest is virgin!

Now ron to be fair when is the last time you heard anybody say they are on there way to the store to buy some ZAPPA, Despite what the critics or peers say :D

Recently got Joes Garage, Overnite Sensation, and Apostrophe on CD. Have Roxy and Elsewhere and Hot Rats on vinyl.

I was finally able to fin some Japanese Gagaku on LP a while back... superb on vinyl and a bit more tasteful than a lot of classical chinese .

Harrumph...Gagaku is only partially Japanese in origin. Of its two catagories, togaku is of Chinese and Indian origin and komagaku is Manchurian, Korean, and Japanese origin. The best gagaku is, IMHO, of yayue tradition based on the Chinese imperial court music for banquets and such originating in the Zhou dynasty. Confucious thought so... :P

OK, where you gonna go to find a spirited discussion of stuff like this???? Gotta love it... Thanks, Schu.

Opinion on Indonesian Gamelan. I favor the Javanese and some of the wayang scores.

Actually always enjoyed wayang...but those go on forever! Indonesian equivalent of a "House of Cards" watching binge.

Dave

I don't think it's any secret where the origins of asia lies, nothing new there.

Japanese gagaku is wholly unique and developed, ei mixed down in complexity, over generations.

as far as gamelan sound... I just got Lou Harrisons Gamelan Music

MI0002043872.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I've been pleasantly surprised to the amount of harrisons work that can be found on Vinyl.

Zappa is off the beaten path?

shut up and play yer guitar!

this is off the beaten path...

four CD set of the Study of player Piano by Conlon Nancarrow.

4010228690729.jpg

if you need an example...

I never said how far off the path, you are treading near the Sahara :D

Careful how much of that you show, They've locked people in rubber rooms for less

Sorry but Cajun & Zydeco is mainstream for me! :emotion-29: Beausoliel, Zachary Richard, Beau Jocque & the Zydeco Hi-Rollers, Terrance Simien, Buckwheat Zydeco, that's just straight ahead music for me. I used to live 2 blocks away from a club called Tramps here in NYC which featured mostly this style of music & blues players. Went there all the time. Marcia Ball, Dr. John, Delbert McClinton, Lou Ann Barton all played there. I play this music weekly. Bon Temps Rouler!!!

Going to a concert in Tallahassee at the Moon a couple of years back was for me off of the recently beaten pathway. Being talked into going to see a person I had not heard or been aware of before was against my better judgment. Glad though that I did as Tab Benoit and band had a cajun flavor to it. Not bad! Not big on going to any venue where I was not at least a little excited aforehand.

As good as Benoit was with the guitar, his bass player was fun to watch, as he could twitch his head in time with the beat to shake off the sweat. My mother rather enjoyed Toot Toot (the song).

My mother rather enjoyed Toot Toot (the song).

She'd have enjoyed even more with "Toot Toot," the toke. :lol:

Dave

LOL, maybe so...recall telling her when I came back home from living in Orlando going to "High School" there, that I did not partake. The next day she and my dad confronted me with an ounce of Panamanian Red asking what this was all about. At the time did not respond with rabbit tobacco, although I should have. Wasn't very swift in those days. Sure I offered to dispose of it for them or, have it analyzed. :rolleyes:

Think she was thinking something else about what the meaning of toot was/ is like in fart...

Oh, already mentioned, and heard on a LOT of tracks... Ry Cooder always gets my toes a tappin'

Tab Benoit is really good, too.

We have free Fri. night concerts in Chattanooga in the summer, with often unheard of acts. Stretches the ears.

Bruce