Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

72 in the cave, very, very nice, should be able to hold it there till 11am. 90 predicted, better, tolerable, pretty much even the birds have split Calif, heat, no water, they are leaving.

Anybody use evaporative cooling around there?  Seems you'd be pretty dry in the summer.  When I lived in El Paso evaporative was the preferred method as the humidity was often 10% or so and AC wasn't really comfortable without humidifying.  I lived in a 1930s adobe structure with 22 inch walls inside and out, and a 10" rammed earth ceiling.  Probably 900 sq ft or so and a single evaporative cooler kept it very nice.

Dave

Swamps dont work well in these parts.

• Like 5

• Moderators

Breakfast is served!

That thing is huge, I know you've heard that before.

I like your way of thinking.

article-1116547-030F1F32000005DC-451_468

Had no idea I was that short did you ? Everything looks big when your 3' tall :o  :P I miss the island boss :(

• Like 6

• Moderators
That part of Arkansas is probably second only to equatorial Africa as a bad place for a swamp cooler.

Last week felt a little like equatorial Africa when outside, one reason why I was happy to stay IN the cabin and fix ANYTHING needed. :)

You couldn't even find a cow that was not under a tree during the day, except for the ones up to there backs in the pond, they looked like hippos ! :blink:

Edited by dtel
  • Like 5

The only thing a swamp cooler would do around here is grow mold.

I had a good friend that moved to El Paso.  We went to see him once and it seemed that every house there had one on their roofs.  In low humidity, they're very effective.

• Like 5

Saw right through that didn't you all.

Yessir, a hard working man like me is hard to find, and keep...working.

Fact is, I outwork anybody, I ever have worked for, or met, except maybe dtel :) because

we have never met. Back to ironing the apron, before the :mellow: hammer drops...

You win, I don't want to have anything to do with a working contest, but I would like to meet you, try to get to the next gathering, you won't be sorry.

dtel, And here I was feeling sorry for you with no crew, not even a helper(?). Now I read where you were working in A/C, with a swamp cooler to boot. Anyway good job, better than I could get done, I tell you. No, I am thinking my better working days are behind me. Still plenty to do around here I guarantee.

Thanks for the personal invitation, as I cannot recall one before, but maybe I had. :)

• Like 4

1. What is a swamp cooler?
  2. Why is there one?
  3. And to what purpose if not covered in previous?
  4. Are they  poor man's A/C, before/after A/C?
  5. TIA

1. Large box device with squirrel cage fan, a water reservoir, and a pump.  Three sides have filters the water is pumped up to and drains.  Air is drawn through, cooled by about 15 degrees in low humidity, and the humidity of the outflow is much higher.  That's why you've not seen one in Florida.  Godawful place for them.

2. They exist because much of what AC does is reduce humidity.  Last thing you want in the desert or very dry conditions.

3. Covered

4. The only cost is running the fan, much less than AC.  And, yes, well before AC. 

There were also models you could roll up in a car window.  The air was scooped in and part of it used to push water into the filters.  Excellent in the desert.  Haven't seen one in 40 years.

Dave

• Like 5

1. What is a swamp cooler?
  2. Why is there one?
  3. And to what purpose if not covered in previous?
  4. Are they  poor man's A/C, before/after A/C?
  5. TIA

1. Large box device with squirrel cage fan, a water reservoir, and a pump.  Three sides have filters the water is pumped up to and drains.  Air is drawn through, cooled by about 15 degrees in low humidity, and the humidity of the outflow is much higher.  That's why you've not seen one in Florida.  Godawful place for them.

2. They exist because much of what AC does is reduce humidity.  Last thing you want in the desert or very dry conditions.

3. Covered

4. The only cost is running the fan, much less than AC.  And, yes, well before AC. 

There were also models you could roll up in a car window.  The air was scooped in and part of it used to push water into the filters.  Excellent in the desert.  Haven't seen one in 40 years.

Dave

Thanks Dave! This helps a lot as, at least here in north Florida, I was not aware, although they must have been around.

There was this Dr. Gorrie in Apalachicola, who experimented with keeping his patients cooler.

• Like 4

Thanks Dave! This helps a lot as, at least here in north Florida, I was not aware, although they must have been around. There was this Dr. Gorrie in Apalachicola, who experimented with keeping his patients cooler.

In your climate, they are awful.  Best at no more than 25 percent humidity.  I don't think you see that very often.  When I lived in El Paso I preferred it as AC made it much too dry.  You have to have an inline humidifier with AC in the desert, which is sort of silly in a way as AC wrings out the humidity, then you put it back in. 

Dave

• Like 4

Thanks Dave! This helps a lot as, at least here in north Florida, I was not aware, although they must have been around. There was this Dr. Gorrie in Apalachicola, who experimented with keeping his patients cooler.

In your climate, they are awful.  Best at no more than 25 percent humidity.  I don't think you see that very often.  When I lived in El Paso I preferred it as AC made it much too dry.  You have to have an inline humidifier with AC in the desert, which is sort of silly in a way as AC wrings out the humidity, then you put it back in. 

Dave

Only been as far west as Vegas in September. About got sunburned there at Lake Meade as the sun was shining bright but, not much sweat. When I got back home, I was near soaked in sweat from the humidity going from the plane into the terminal. Need to rethink my minor understanding on the subject.

Thanks!

• Like 4

I might add that even in high humidity, it's cool directly in front of the unit...say, no more than 10 or 15 feet.  But the rest of the structure gets really nasty hot and humid. 

Dave

Lol, if possible, that is where I would be found, in front.

• Like 4

Have seen them around here in un-Air Conditioned, Open Air spaces, like body & auto shops.

They are nice if you stand right in front of them.

I might add that even in high humidity, it's cool directly in front of the unit...say, no more than 10 or 15 feet. But the rest of the structure gets really nasty hot and humid.

Dave

• Like 4