Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Good Sat afternoon

Iced Tea and taking a break on the projects.

84 in the Cave, tolerable @30% Hmd. Fans work well.

Fires still going all over the place, it stays constant like this and i MAY, go back to fire line logistics.

Kind of enjoying zero comitments.

• Like 6

Man....... I loved El Paso when I was there, I liked the dry heat.

El Paso is addictive.  Maybe it's the trace lithium in the water.  When I got to Ft. Bliss I remember mentioning to someone it was about as barren a place as I'd ever seen.  He said if you stayed one full turn of seasons, you never get over it.  I thought he was nuts as the very idea of "seasons" just didn't fit in the desert. 

But he was right.  Going four wheeling into the desert day or night.  The stars were magnificent.  When it rained, we'd all head out as the desert would explode with flowers.  The only real white Christmas, that it, snow on Christmas morning, I ever experienced was there.  Got about 7 inches and it was magnificently beautiful.  I was living on the Rio Grande in an adobe house that had been the main house of a farm in the 30s.  The old man that owned it still kept sheep and those who were pregnant all dropped their lambs in the snow.  He was waiting as he knew this would happen.  What a sight!  All these fresh new lambs leaping around in the snow!  Here's a picture of the house.  22" thick interior and exterior walls, 10 inch of rammed earth in the ceiling, and evaporative cooler.  In the winter, a fire kept going over a weekend would cause the wall to heat the house for another 3 days due to the mass.

Dave

post-7390-0-07180000-1437861753_thumb.jp

• Like 6

• Moderators

Very cool Dave.

Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
I fell in love with a Mexican girl.
Night-time would find me in Rosa's cantina;
Music would play and Felina would whirl.

• Like 4

• Moderators

Very cool Dave.

you’re a cool cat…i didn’t know you sang.

Only that song

• Like 5

Very cool Dave.

you’re a cool cat…i didn’t know you sang.

Only that song

He knows the PAW is Irish...

Dave

• Like 5

Man....... I loved El Paso when I was there, I liked the dry heat.

El Paso is addictive.  Maybe it's the trace lithium in the water.  When I got to Ft. Bliss I remember mentioning to someone it was about as barren a place as I'd ever seen.  He said if you stayed one full turn of seasons, you never get over it.  I thought he was nuts as the very idea of "seasons" just didn't fit in the desert. 

But he was right.  Going four wheeling into the desert day or night.  The stars were magnificent.  When it rained, we'd all head out as the desert would explode with flowers.  The only real white Christmas, that it, snow on Christmas morning, I ever experienced was there.  Got about 7 inches and it was magnificently beautiful.  I was living on the Rio Grande in an adobe house that had been the main house of a farm in the 30s.  The old man that owned it still kept sheep and those who were pregnant all dropped their lambs in the snow.  He was waiting as he knew this would happen.  What a sight!  All these fresh new lambs leaping around in the snow!  Here's a picture of the house.  22" thick interior and exterior walls, 10 inch of rammed earth in the ceiling, and evaporative cooler.  In the winter, a fire kept going over a weekend would cause the wall to heat the house for another 3 days due to the mass.

Dave

Cool Dave.....I was there for about two years.....I saw it snow once there....got a few inches, but it was all gone by mid afternoon.

I lived on the other side of the El Paso.....over the mountain....Trans Mountain. I moved on base when housing became available for me and the wife. I worked over on the airfield....Biggs Army Airfield.

If I remember....it seemed like there were three seasons.....Summer, Winter and the Windy season....I remember the winds were so bad we had to bring the helicopters in the hanger at times.

We would go over to Juarez Mexico quite a bit and drink the mezcal....we would buy a bunch of miniatures of the mezcal they would all have the worms in them. I think I must of ate 20+ worms one night......oh yea good ole El Paso....

MKP :-)

• Like 5

Good afternoon everyone......

Well, thank you for that dTel......   Yes, we are causal here also, but sometimes it is nice to get 'fancy'  ;)

Ok, yesterday was my automatic, hanging plant watering system installation....    Of course, the supplied 50' hose ran short and I had two more plants to get to on the far side of the deck (stairwell end)...  PLUS, I ran out of those little 1/4" half round plastic clamps with the single nail in them.

Got on the motorcycle, had a wonderful 85mph. run down the brand new blacktopped highway to Home Depot, Northface back pack on for storing shopping items, arrived in record time, picked up 50' more of hose, 3 bags of those little clamps and 100 UV tywraps for stock...   AND, 4 Eveready lithium batteries which was highly recommended by the 'Rain Drip' company...    

ALSO, a new brushed metal hand sprayer for the kitchen sink which needed replacing!  (finished that job this morning, no more leaks under the sink!)

Ok, finished the job by sundown, and tested it in manual mode, no leaks, all 7 plants now have water daily and I don't have to run out there with a watering can AGAIN, which was always time consuming before heading out to work each morning... :wacko:

Today, I finished neatening up the water tubes under the deck and set the timer to run 4 times in a 24 hour period at 30 minutes each.    The system delivers 1/2 gal. every hour, so, this setting will be similar to my water can, only much more even watering throughout the period.   

This also negates the asking of neighbors to water while we are away to N.C. on vacation.   I am sure they will be happy to be relieved of that task ! :o

Ok, Bill Evans radio on Pandora, cranked at a good clip outdoors............time to work on music.........dinner is OUT this evening, that will be nice for a change  :emotion-21:

Enjoy your day and music my friends.........more later....

...............Gary

Edited by Tigerman
  • Like 7

Ever stop ?

Stop ??

Yep, you never seem to stop.

No I never do.....

I just got in from the shop.....trying to put that engine my daughters van......so this weekend I put about 25 hours in. It's a pain in the a**.......That's why I don't do a lot of engine work.......it takes so much time....

Oh well I do like working in the shop........and the good tunes really help....

• Like 6

MKP, I wish you were closer.  I dropped my '98 Accord off at my mechanic last Tuesday with what I think is a rear coolant line leak.  It overheated on my wife, but she luckily got home.  I filled the radiator with water and looked for leaking water, and it was leaking from the back of the engine dripping near the catalytic converter.  I have been a loyal customer for 10 years to this mechanic.  They OVER PROMISE & UNDER DELIVER, and I am sick of it.  If I had a lift, I would repair it myself.  I called to follow-up several times, and Friday I called and left a message with the girl up front to have the mechanic call me.  Never got a return call and I tried calling a dozen times Friday.  Well, road construction apparently knocked out their phones.  So what!  In this era with cell phones, they could have at least called and let me know.  I'm still left hanging and with one car since Tuesday.

Anyway, how difficult is it to replace the rear coolant line without a lift?  I am ready to go get the car and do it myself.

• Like 6

Good evening everyone...........

Back from a lovely dinner out at Olive Garden where we were able to take our time with dinner, AND manage our own wine bottle and sit leisurely between courses (unheard of in these corp. restaurant chains)!....   Anyway, it was very much like and upscale restaurant uptown and that made us happy...   Then of course, I had a few things to pack and take out to the car.   Got all the way home, realized my WALLET was not one of them !!! :o  :o:wacko:    What a D.A. huh ??   I called when I got home, they had it secured in the manager's office, and Chris will run down to pick it up tomorrow when they open at 11am.  ....nice..... :)  

Outside of that, TODD, I am sorry to hear about your auto service center not performing to your liking........hope you can get that issue with the Honda resolved soon! 

With that, I bid you all a good evening........more tomorrow night after rehearsal...

.........Gary

Edited by Tigerman
  • Like 9

Evening Gang

Just in from a looong day at the farm(s).

Drinking coffee all day so no sleep for awile.

Looks like we are in for a warm up, fires still going, they get a handle one one and another starts up.

Appears Calfire has finely got their chit together and got a few more DC10s, flyin duster(s) all day radio traffic was nonstop.

Think ill shop the bay, Mr Crow is coming along, and need to keep the parts coming.

post-57941-0-51100000-1437979041_thumb.j

• Like 10

Evening Gang

Just in from a looong day at the farm(s).

Drinking coffee all day so no sleep for awile.

Looks like we are in for a warm up, fires still going, they get a handle one one and another starts up.

Appears Calfire has finely got their chit together and got a few more DC10s, flyin duster(s) all day radio traffic was nonstop.

Think ill shop the bay, Mr Crow is coming along, and need to keep the parts coming.

Yes good morning!

Much(?) less humidity tonight mad it bearable. That is, no immediate fogging of the glasses stepping out of the car this AM. Know it is cool in the cave so, guess I will look into this swampcooler thing a ma bob. Going to have a liedown as reading sleep heals the body. Without enough, we may have to wonder. So, for me that will be noon. Bugs are bad in places mostly, since it has been wet and damp. With as you know, rolling popup, microburst, and other ways to look at the weather. Now I put it together that you would be looking at

the weather at times. Bugs are bad this guy told me one time down in Steinhatchee, Florida. Sportsman's Paradise.

The crow looks coming along from the photo glimpse.

Thanks!

• Like 8