Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators

Dave Mallette's wife is performing missionary work in Nicauragua.  Here's some info on what she is doing.  I would appreciate all of you considering a donation, no matter how small to her Go Fund Me account.  Thank you all!

From Kecia (Dave's wife)

I’m documenting on video and stills our mission trip to a village in Nicaragua where we will drill a clean water well with Living Water International and distribute sustainable feminine hygiene kits to the girls. Girls can miss up to 3 months of school each year simply because they have no way to manage their period and have to stay home. Our group of women and men handmade 50 kits using the field tested patterns of the Days for Girls organization that we will be distributing in Nicaragua and providing them health and hygiene information. Each kit is made to last 3 years, which gives 9 months of schooling back to these young girls. It’s the start of a new life of hope for these girls. Clean water to reduce disease, and a more educated community help break the cycle of poverty.

The videos that come out of this trip will help spread the message of the good works that can be accomplished. Together, we can make a difference in the world, one person, and one village at a time.

If you want to support improved health for all and dignity for girls, please show your support by donating to my documentary fund at www.gofundme.com/kecia.

Kécia 

• Like 3

Dave Mallette's wife is performing missionary work in Nicauragua.  Here's some info on what she is doing.  I would appreciate all of you considering a donation, no matter how small to her Go Fund Me account.  Thank you all!

From Kecia (Dave's wife)

I’m documenting on video and stills our mission trip to a village in Nicaragua where we will drill a clean water well with Living Water International and distribute sustainable feminine hygiene kits to the girls. Girls can miss up to 3 months of school each year simply because they have no way to manage their period and have to stay home. Our group of women and men handmade 50 kits using the field tested patterns of the Days for Girls organization that we will be distributing in Nicaragua and providing them health and hygiene information. Each kit is made to last 3 years, which gives 9 months of schooling back to these young girls. It’s the start of a new life of hope for these girls. Clean water to reduce disease, and a more educated community help break the cycle of poverty.

The videos that come out of this trip will help spread the message of the good works that can be accomplished. Together, we can make a difference in the world, one person, and one village at a time.

If you want to support improved health for all and dignity for girls, please show your support by donating to my documentary fund at www.gofundme.com/kecia.

Kécia 

Excellent, someone doing some good :emotion-21: :emotion-21: :emotion-21:

• Like 4

• Moderators

From Kecia (Dave's wife)

Kécia 

Excellent, someone doing some good :emotion-21: :emotion-21: :emotion-21:

If you go to the GoFundMe site there is some additional info.  I think this is a very worthy cause since the funds will not only support training in the future, but also kits for these young girls.  It's one way to give back.

• Like 3

If you go to the GoFundMe site there is some additional info. I think this is a very worthy cause since the funds will not only support training in the future, but also kits for these young girls. It's one way to give back.

Looks worthy to me! I will check it out!

Thanks!

• Like 1

Here's a vintage car model as I described earlier.  Completely passive. 

Dave

Lol, never have seen one of those on a car, that I recall. Must be a western/desert thing. Pretty neat old school :)  technology.

Speaking of neat, the swampcooler diagram you posted is a pretty simple, yet elaborate technology. Can see now where a block of ice, or a frozen milk jug or 2 might hope the situation. Sure as heck beats the without alternative.

• Like 2

Nope.  Water temp is irrelevant.  When you pull air through it there is going to be a calculable effect based on the general humidity outside.  The water sits in a reservoir in the base so if it isn't running it heats up to whatever the ambient temp is.  But it cools down in a matter of a few minutes once turned on.

Dave

Nope.  Water temp is irrelevant.  When you pull air through it there is going to be a calculable effect based on the general humidity outside.  The water sits in a reservoir in the base so if it isn't running it heats up to whatever the ambient temp is.  But it cools down in a matter of a few minutes once turned on.

Dave

So the circulation of water through the system gives it aeration, causing the water to cool down lower than the ambient temp., of the water, in the base. Continuous running of the system causes the base water to get cooler than the ambient temperature.

Almost got it but, need to process still. Thinking the water according to the diagram is not just flowing out of the tubes. but spraying out via nozzles.

Or is that aeration of the water caused by the blower fan?

Edited by billybob
  • Like 3

• Moderators

Not sure about that design but with the other design the water just flows down the 6" thick corrugated paper that is designed for this. I guess as the water is evaporating it cools the rest of the water at the same time ?

They are used a lot down here in greenhouses, even though we have high humidity they still use the water. I would imagine the extra humidity is good for the plants.

• Like 5

Don't want to distract anyone from swamp coolers

Please do, swamp coolers aren't cool, were just trying to get Billybob to figure them out. :lol:

Dave has done a patient and fairly thorough back in forth with me on the subject. Thinking he has done all he can to impart his knowledge on the subject. And I do get the jist, for all of my silly response/questions. Reading and comprehension, not my forte'. lol

Moving on now...STELLA... :)

• Like 3

• Moderators

Don't want to distract anyone from swamp coolers

Please do, swamp coolers aren't cool, were just trying to get Billybob to figure them out. :lol:

Dave has done a patient and fairly thorough back in forth with me on the subject. Thinking he has done all he can to impart his knowledge on the subject. And I do get the jist, for all of my silly response/questions. Reading and comprehension, not my forte'. lol

Moving on now...STELLA... :)

Good deal, all I know is it evaporates water passed over moving air to cool, there now you know as much as I do, which isn't much.

SMILE IT'S NATIONAL TEQUILA day

So have a shot or more  

• Like 6

• Moderators

Yes but adding humidity to the air is not the goal, just the side affect. Were going to really  screw up Billybob now. :P

Lol, yes, I know how to complicate the uncomplicatable.

Opps, the tequila thing snuck up on me... :)

Jose Cuervo he was a friend of mine... :emotion-29:

He was a friend of ours last week, with his relatives, patron and 1800, along with some lemon lime salt.

• Like 5

Yes but adding humidity to the air is not the goal, just the side affect.

Very much the goal in the desert.  Dry air is not comfortable.  If you have gas heat you know what I mean.  Static, and even when it's warm it may not feel warm.  Once you get west of Fort Worth it's good to have a humidifier in the winter.  Makes it feel warmer and keeps your nose and throat from drying out...and prevents sending quarter inch sparks into your tone arm when you touch it.  Trust me.  Been there, done that.

I take it there are a lot more folks who haven't spent time in dry climates than I would have imagined.  Evaporative cooling is not only not rocket science, it's what the human body does to survive.  The drier the air the better the result.  Oddly, we are at 98 in Houston which is basically a swamp.  Don't have a hygrometer but I am guessing the humidity is way down under the big Bermuda high.  Barometer reads 30.1.  In any event, even though it's a couple of hours to sun down, we have a good breeze and it's quite comfortable in the shade.  That is rare here.  Just checked NOAA for Seabrook and the humidity is 50%.  That is dry as hell for Houston.  No wonder it feels fine in the shade with a breeze.

Dave

• Like 6

Good evening my friends here in C&C.....   Over in RTM spending time with fellow forum members there listening to good music here in Music Hall, sharing photos, the usual Friday night activities  ^_^

See you all in the morning with some coffee photos to get the day going.... :emotion-44:

• Like 7