Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

The simplest form is the misting hose, found in the southwest at restaurants and bars with outside shade tables or places where people have to stand in line. They simply spray a really fog fine mist and can be awesome.

You see a version of them on the sidelines at football games as well.

Misters work well outside in the Deep South, too...

• Like 6

Not in Houston, my friend.  But I guess that isn't "Deep South."  We could get some good use from them in the DFW area about this time of year if the Bermuda high was in place.  I often put them around my AC heat exchangers outside. 

Dave

• Like 5

I remember we had a 56 ford wagon with two of these "po mans" cooler

How did it work for you?  You mentioned Roseville is more humid that I thought it was.

Dave

Swampcoolers just do not work well here, deserts hell yeah, any place that's dry they kick azz.

In socal valley areas, some times they work, but not healthy for stereo goods or tooling. 

• Like 6

Not in Houston, my friend.  But I guess that isn't "Deep South."  We could get some good use from them in the DFW area about this time of year if the Bermuda high was in place.  I often put them around my AC heat exchangers outside. 

Dave

Mississippi Delta & Pensacola Beach is where I've experienced them.

• Like 5

Well, if they worked for you, cool...appropriately.  Hard for me to imagine though.  The "swamp" designation has to do with what it makes a high humidity place into if you use one.  Off course, you guys can have quite dry air in August as well. 

Dave

• Like 4

Only been through Sacramento once but seemed it was desert like.  Of course, it's right on the river...nice one, too.  Can't help but wonder if it's still there...

Of course, I guess it isn't far to the desert from there.

Dave

• Like 4

Well, if they worked for you, cool...appropriately.  Hard for me to imagine though.  The "swamp" designation has to do with what it makes a high humidity place into if you use one.  Off course, you guys can have quite dry air in August as well. 

Dave

Was extremely hot & humid in the Mississippi Delta; some ocean breeze on the Gulf. You need to be directly under in the Delta & very near on the Gulf.

• Like 6

Morning gang.....just checking in...

Been at the shop for a few hours......

Really nice day today, mid 80's.....not to humid..should be like this through the weekend.

Got a good job today....timing belt on a Acura TL....

Good weather, good job, cranking the KP-362's.....oh yea...

Wishing all a good day...

MKP :-)

• Like 5

Guys, I had a 55 Ford with rotten floorboards. When you drove through a puddle it would actually spray up on you in the car. Would that qualify as a swamp cooler? I was only 16 at the time and learned quickly that this feature was NOT a good way to start a date. :blink:  

Edited by JL Sargent
  • Like 6

Guys, I had a 55 Ford with rotten floorboards. When you drove through a puddle it would actually spray up on you in the car. Would that qualify as a swamp cooler? I was only 16 at the time and learned quickly that this feature was NOT a good way to start a date. :blink:  

Maybe so! I know rubber floor mats on a car were handy. Just do not want your date to rely on them for support, in that case. :)

• Like 5

Spent my last year in the Army at the unfortunately named "Ft. Bliss." The simplest form is the misting hose, found in the southwest at restaurants and bars with outside shade tables or places where people have to stand in line. They simply spray a really fog fine mist and can be awesome. Here is yer basic swamp cooler. Dave Attached Thumbnails

Thanks for the thumbnail, that helps a lot. Have used those neck coolers from sharper image, and other handheld devices to help a bit.

While not totally the cat's meow, they help some. Thinking now about cooling with a fan device for the deck, which is half covered by a

ramada, open at the sides or closed with net against critter bugs.

• Like 2

• Moderators

OK back on track, kind of, this is the swamp cooler I was talking about that was used. ( It did have a cable to plug it in so it counts here ) :huh:

And everyone was right, at certain times it cooled, especially if you were right in front of it. Other times as soon as you walked in the building you could feel it, just depended on the outside humidity I guess, either way it adds humidity.

Yes that's a truckload of corn we cleaned

post-9700-0-00180000-1437669088_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel
  • Like 6

OK back on track, kind of, this is the swamp cooler I was talking about that was used. ( It did have a cable to plug it in so it counts here ) :huh:

And everyone was right, at certain times it cooled, especially if you were right in front of it. Other times as soon as you walked in the building you could feel it, just depended on the outside humidity I guess, either way it adds humidity.

Yes that's a truckload of corn we cleaned

Wow, alright! Thought we might be talking industrial size there, and a place for water or ice under it.

Don't know much but yes, can schuck a few ears, even though I cannot spell it. Hungry of a sudden. :rolleyes:

• Like 4