Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Have seen them around here in un-Air Conditioned, Open Air spaces, like body & auto shops.

They are nice if you stand right in front of them.

I might add that even in high humidity, it's cool directly in front of the unit...say, no more than 10 or 15 feet. But the rest of the structure gets really nasty hot and humid.

Dave

You know Sancho, I should try to find a pic of one so, I will know more about what Dave was explain.

• Like 4

72 in the cave, very, very nice, should be able to hold it there till 11am. 90 predicted, better, tolerable, pretty much even the birds have split Calif, heat, no water, they are leaving.

Anybody use evaporative cooling around there?  Seems you'd be pretty dry in the summer.  When I lived in El Paso evaporative was the preferred method as the humidity was often 10% or so and AC wasn't really comfortable without humidifying.  I lived in a 1930s adobe structure with 22 inch walls inside and out, and a 10" rammed earth ceiling.  Probably 900 sq ft or so and a single evaporative cooler kept it very nice.

Dave

I remember those swamp cooler's when I lived in El Paso. Me and the ex-wife, we lived on base. Good old Ft Bliss. That big fan would blow that nice cool air in our room......man that was a long time ago.

MKP :-)

• Like 5

• Moderators
I am thinking my better working days are behind me.

I am positive mine are, slow but steady is better for me these days. (with breaks) ;)

If they don't like this speed they surely won't like the other. :huh:  :lol: Anyway no one ever complains to volunteer help, he always helps everyone and it's the least I could do.

Plus he let us stay there and cooked every night and there was a party till late. :emotion-19:   :emotion-29:  

• Like 8

I remember those swamp cooler's when I lived in El Paso. Me and the ex-wife, we lived on base. Good old Ft Bliss. That big fan would blow that nice cool air in our room......man that was a long time ago. MKP :-)

Spent my last year in the Army at the unfortunately named "Ft. Bliss."  The simplest form is the misting hose, found in the southwest at restaurants and bars with outside shade tables or places where people have to stand in line.  They simply spray a really fog fine mist and can be awesome. 

Here is yer basic swamp cooler. 

Dave

post-7390-0-24380000-1437650870_thumb.jp

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 5

I bet that car one is noisy.

Not at all,   Much less that a window open to the same degree.  Air was slowed somewhat by having to push the water into the filters, then further quietened by passing through them.  You really only needed what we used to call the "little window" open a bit, or just a couple of inches in a back window. to provide for a nice breeze.

Very nice driving at 70 or so through Arizona!  EDIT for nostalgia:  Even better if listening to Wolfman Jack from XERF in Acuna.  "Jist 3 dollah ninety eight cents, babeecakes foh 40 big hits!"

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 5

The simplest form is the misting hose, found in the southwest at restaurants and bars with outside shade tables or places where people have to stand in line. They simply spray a really fog fine mist and can be awesome.

You see a version of them on the sidelines at football games as well.

• Like 5

I bet that car one is noisy.

Not at all, Much less that a window open to the same degree. Air was slowed somewhat by having to push the water into the filters, then further quietened by passing through them. You really only needed what we used to call the "little window" open a bit, or just a couple of inches in a back window. to provide for a nice breeze.

Very nice driving at 70 or so through Arizona! EDIT for nostalgia: Even better if listening to Wolfman Jack from XERF in Acuna. "Jist 3 dollah ninety eight cents, babeecakes foh 40 big hits!"

Dave

I have heard, that is how Ahern rental got their start. By renting out swamp coolers for the tourist coming down from the north.
  • Like 5

Not familiar with that company, but that would have been a great idea.  Have a point at either end of the dry zone of Route 66 to pick up and drop off those things.  It's so blistering for northerners down there they'd probably go for it even with proof it worked.  In my youth, you'd still see canvas water bags strapped on the front of cars out there.  They were semi-waterproof.  Enough would be allowed throw to evaporate in the wind which would provide both cool drinking water as well as emergency coolant in case of overheating...a real issue then.  In El Paso, we also could buy Mexican porous water jars that did the same thing.  Left in the shade with water outside it would be cool to drink.

Dave

• Like 4