Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

porsche-preview.webp

Paint it Artic white, dark brown leather interior and the famous Blauputnik radio.  lol  The local police chief is a friend and he wanted to drive it.  Np, we took it out onto the bypass with him driving.  Not many on the 4-lane so he warmed it up and quit at 110.  So we switched out and I brought her back home @ 135+ w/him freaking out beside me.  He was worried about some trooper and him in the shotgun position.  lolol  I sure wasn't.  lol  It was the automatic with a hole in the roof.  :)   It would squat and go when I wanted it to.  Loved the speed and the performance.  Supposed to be a new version out or coming out I guess.  Sticker shock?  Prolly.  lol

• Like 5

On 3/17/2023 at 3:06 PM, Invidiosulus said:

straight into the driveway at the top of the first curve and get it stopped without hitting anything.

Soooo... about where that car is sitting in the driveway?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I could never participate in such sport .... 

my hand/eye coordination es no bueno

Bowling, fishing, beekeeping, gardening.... watching the grass grow LOL. Those don't require quick movement. I was the crash test dummy among my R/C helicopter friends...Give it to Bill. If he can't break it... I know the sound of a toy heli hitting a steel pipe at 30mph... similar to the sound of a dozen eggs hitting the floor. The ones I was "flying" weighed in around 3oz.

I can't say that I didn't enjoy the old video games.... you know... a joystick and a button type...When they started putting 18 buttons on 'em, I quit. A screw up on a game... no consequences.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/19/2023 at 1:32 PM, grasshopper said:

I can't say that I didn't enjoy the old video games.... you know... a joystick and a button type...When they started putting 18 buttons on 'em, I quit. A screw up on a game... no consequences.

I feel your pain on that one Bill.  Mario I owned but when Xbox came out w/that combat game?  My girls owned me!  I was sliced and diced in 10 seconds.  Bad enough for me to just give them the TV, which is what they wanted.  lol  

• Haha 3

On 3/18/2023 at 8:09 PM, Invidiosulus said:

Alrighty, here is the view from the top courtesy of google maps.100BA622-4292-4000-A495-63A824A9725C.thumb.jpeg.2a71a5b466e5a8a16037d4a4447e2458.jpeg

and the speed limit along this section was 55 at the time.

At least you came out better than this one:

IMG_0959.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

That's really a crazy photo if you think about it.  All of a sudden you're going over kissin the berm with that hill coming into play.  Looks like Sherwood Forest on the other side and would it have been down hill?  THAT changes the context of the photo entirely.  Not just another wrecked vehicle but one that's saved from being even worse?  Just getting that from the row of trees on the other side.  Wild!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave1291 said:

That's really a crazy photo if you think about it.  All of a sudden you're going over kissin the berm with that hill coming into play.  Looks like Sherwood Forest on the other side and would it have been down hill?  THAT changes the context of the photo entirely.  Not just another wrecked vehicle but one that's saved from being even worse?  Just getting that from the row of trees on the other side.  Wild!

I have no connection to whoever made this video but you can fast forward to about 4:30 to see what it looks like coming in from the top.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Invidiosulus said:

I have no connection to whoever made this video but you can fast forward to about 4:30 to see what it looks like coming in from the top.

Wheeeee!!!!! Made for my Aprilia.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Google Maps

I'm not sure how well the Google Maps link will work but if it does you'll see a nearly perfect semi-circle that's an off-ramp leading to a service road that connects to I-94 freeway just south of a town where I used to live in Minnesota.  The ramp is signed at 30mph.

A guy I used to work with knew one of the salesmen at a Subaru dealership when the WRX first came out in 2002.  We took one out for a "test drive" one summer day on our lunch break.  We did a loop taking turns taking the offramp as fast as we could.  I believe we ended up doing a 4 wheel drift around the upper 50mph range.

That night after work I took my 97 Taurus SHO with suspension modifications and high performance tires on the same offramp.  I was able to achieve an exit speed of just under 70mph at the top of the ramp.  I was pretty impressed that my Taurus was able to outhandle a much newer rally-bred vehicle.

{edit} It's the larger of the two semi-circles on the map, the one on the left.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

Google Maps

I'm not sure how well the Google Maps link will work but if it does you'll see a nearly perfect semi-circle that's an off-ramp leading to a service road that connects to I-94 freeway just south of a town where I used to live in Minnesota.  The ramp is signed at 30mph.

A guy I used to work with knew one of the salesmen at a Subaru dealership when the WRX first came out in 2002.  We took one out for a "test drive" one summer day on our lunch break.  We did a loop taking turns taking the offramp as fast as we could.  I believe we ended up doing a 4 wheel drift around the upper 50mph range.

That night after work I took my 97 Taurus SHO with suspension modifications and high performance tires on the same offramp.  I was able to achieve an exit speed of just under 70mph at the top of the ramp.  I was pretty impressed that my Taurus was able to outhandle a much newer rally-bred vehicle.

{edit} It's the larger of the two semi-circles on the map, the one on the left.

A friend in college got A WRX when they first came to the US in 2002.

It was a fun car but the stock tires left a lot to be desired in the handling department.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tarheel said:

It's so pretty wouldn't want to break it😐

You and that bubble Chuck.  Nope ya don't want to break it that's for sure.  All that hard work and love you put into it down the drain?  Nope, park it in the drive and worship it.  You know what ya can and can't do by now.  Maybe.  😂

How's that hot tub werkin for ya?  Tried a box of Mr Bubble yet?   :)

• Haha 3

"A friend in college got A WRX when they first came to the US in 2002.

It was a fun car but the stock tires left a lot to be desired in the handling department."

We purchased a brand new 2004 wrx off the truck and still drive it daily. She looks gorgeous in it still, but my old white hairy arse sitting inside it just doesn't look right anymore somehow. 🤔 I look like her gramps. It is black and still in amazing condition. Fantastic for living (most of our lives) in mountains and snow. We purchased when we were still in our 30's.  My four wheel drive pick up not nearly as capable in snow and ice. Young folks constantly walking up asking to sell to them. Anyway, It's been the best/dependable rig we've ever owned. Wife loves this car a LOT.  edit:  I'll take a pic and add it once we get the snow/road grime cleaned up. Very proud of the condition of her car.

• Like 6

I had a Forester, before the newer models that are taller. I was always amazed at the handling and acceleration it had. Really miss it, but the truck has been a lot better for hauling stuff.

• Like 3