Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Totally agree with @rplace, and I'll say it again.  Absolutely love my restored Technics SL-1400 MKII with an Ortofon Blue, and my restored Pioneer PL-610.  I've heard tables and cartridges that cost many times what I spent on these, and well, let's just say I am very happy with what I have.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just something maybe yet, not  a lost art form category.Could easily fall into the how you have been wrong about how to peel a banana or most intriquing speaking of banana, do not eat them cabash:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/tipsandtricks/the-best-way-to-get-ketchup-out-of-the-bottle/ar-BBEHnzG?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Just something maybe yet, not  a lost art form category.Could easily fall into the how you have been wrong about how to peel a banana or most intriquing speaking of banana, do not eat them cabash:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/tipsandtricks/the-best-way-to-get-ketchup-out-of-the-bottle/ar-BBEHnzG?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Didn't know that.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Didn't know that.

Me either, lol. On another something new. Finally broke down and spent some money for a new Klipsch cap. Proud to the point that I may post it over at Brac's famous thread. May get it by the weekend fedex...:D.

Nick of time too, as my old one a keeper yet, the looks it gets. Think they will be happy too :emotion-21:

Excited in Florida B)

• Like 1

Just saw a program on Netflix. Interesting and, actually learned a bit that did not know like, 99%

Wanted a cap for my anniversary but not to make waves, seems a UPS lady came by the other day with

an old looking shipping box with dog eared corners. Looked well travelled. She asked if I was an oldtimer and I said yes.

After realized my mistake(?) caught up with driver over at next block so, may yet show one day soon there.

Alright :emotion-21:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tarheel said:

In the middle of pulling all my 10" R2R tapes down from the cabinets and making sure each reel is in the right box.  Last year I numbered all the boxes but not the reels and some have gotten misplaced.  This means I have to play a bit of each reel.  Labor intensive.  So going out later to buy some peel and stick numbers to apply to the reels.

It would help if you gents would discourage me from looking at new turntables.  I have been looking at two.....the Music Hall 9.3 with a Goldwing Eroica moving coil and the VPI Prime Scout with no cartridge.  With the MC it would mean getting a Cambridge phono pre at another $250.  With the Prime Scout I could choose a MM cartridge and not have to get a separate pre.  Each table is around $2400.  Remember I'm just a retired guy, living on a pension, and came back to the USA to vote since I couldn't get an absentee ballot:mellow:

3 hours ago, rplace said:

@Tarheel A low output MC cartridge and good phono stage made a big improvement to my ears. I stress Low output MC....I didn't check that cartridge but from memory a lot of MCs sold with tables are higher output. Make sure you like it before you buy. In the $2K range I think there is a ton of value in used tables and new cartridges. it does seem to add up quickly. When you buy an amp you maybe buy cables. With turntables there is the table, arm and cartridge all that need to play nice together. Now a phono stage or new preamp that has one. Then a better clamp, then some upgrade you did not shell out for new like a matt or brush or stylus cleaner. I tell you it is madding. Sometimes I think I should have just kept my Music Hall MMF-5 with dynavector cartridge and been done.

That said can't go wrong with MH or VPI. I say spend $200 on some new vinyl and see if you really want/need to spend 10 X that on a table.

im at a loss myself...having the td 125 sent out to vinyl nirvana...for a restore.. and i have a extra tp50 headshell..looking for another one...

have a at440mld for that shell..

think of this cartridge. 

https://www.sound-smith.com/cartridges/fixed-coil/otello

and this preamp...

https://www.sound-smith.com/phono-preamps/soundsmith-mmp4-phono-preamp.  

I also have a Conrad Johnson pv7...

any suggestions ???

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

im at a loss myself...having the td 125 sent out to vinyl nirvana...for a restore.. and i have a extra tp50 headshell..looking for another one...

have a at440mld for that shell..

think of this cartridge. 

https://www.sound-smith.com/cartridges/fixed-coil/otello

and this preamp...

https://www.sound-smith.com/phono-preamps/soundsmith-mmp4-phono-preamp.  

I also have a Conrad Johnson pv7...

any suggestions ???

$55 to ship a cartridge?  Really?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Tarheel said:

In the middle of pulling all my 10" R2R tapes down from the cabinets and making sure each reel is in the right box.  Last year I numbered all the boxes but not the reels and some have gotten misplaced.  This means I have to play a bit of each reel.  Labor intensive.  So going out later to buy some peel and stick numbers to apply to the reels.

Ah......retirement. Enough time to do things over that you just did last year...This time no martinis until you're finished:)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

for what or what are you looking at..?

I didn't select lower 48 states so it went to paypal checkout.   For the Otello cartridge.  Just wanted to see the price.

Will have to see....MC or MM......or keep the table and cartridge I have.  Denon DP-1250, ADC arm, Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rplace said:

@Tarheel A low output MC cartridge and good phono stage made a big improvement to my ears. I stress Low output MC....I didn't check that cartridge but from memory a lot of MCs sold with tables are higher output. Make sure you like it before you buy. In the $2K range I think there is a ton of value in used tables and new cartridges. it does seem to add up quickly. When you buy an amp you maybe buy cables. With turntables there is the table, arm and cartridge all that need to play nice together. Now a phono stage or new preamp that has one. Then a better clamp, then some upgrade you did not shell out for new like a matt or brush or stylus cleaner. I tell you it is madding. Sometimes I think I should have just kept my Music Hall MMF-5 with dynavector cartridge and been done.

That said can't go wrong with MH or VPI. I say spend $200 on some new vinyl and see if you really want/need to spend 10 X that on a table.

Good advice rplace.  The Music Hall 9.3 comes with a low output MC (Goldwing Eroica).  Plus it looks damn sexy. Take a look at the reviews when you get time.  The new VPI Prime Scout is a looker too though and gets great reviews as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

I went to check out and it said $55 shipping.  Is that paypal fees too?

Have done same as to finding out fees like shipping mainly. Quite taken aback often by shipping fees. What can at first seem a bargain, may turn out otherwise.:emotion-21: