Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

8 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Sorry to hear that Mike. My youngest daughter was diagnosed with asthma at the age of 8. She fought it for about 5-6 years, then it went away, like Steve said. She will be 17 in two weeks, is on the high school swim team, it has no affects on her now. Hopefully Gia will grow out of it.....prayers sent.

thank you brother ..and all my brother's on the forum !

• Like 3

Sorry to hear that Mike. My wife and cat have asthma. My wife has had it since she was 7. Swimming was one of the best things she could do for it. She swears she didn't give it to the cat, but I'm not convinced. Yes, my cat has his own inhaler.

• Like 3

and don’t smoke around her and don’t let her smoke. i was actually having some trouble yesterday because it’s getting real cold (radio said tonight will be 15 degrees, crazy and it’s not even winter yet); but, my heater was coming on every 45 minutes (today it’s about every 15-20 minutes). The air in the house is dry and it was really unpleasant to breathe last night. The other thing that set me off is a strong perfume, and really pungent flowers.

• Like 3

bought a place in about 2005, went in the backyard one evening (it was basically a jungle). Something called a Star Jasmine was emitting the most grotesque smell imaginable. we yanked out all the plants and bought a spa (with built in stereo, changing color lighting, and two waterfalls).

• Like 2

i had a cup of coffee this afternoon ... it was 35 degrees outside at about 1pm and my brother had made a pot of coffee. 

i was driving around town and seeing most people wearing just a sweatshirt (except this young lady was wearing a short sleeved shirt).  I asked myself, “how cold is it going to get here if at 34 degrees (it warmed up a whole degree later) people aren’t bring out their foul weather gear?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

i had a cup of coffee this afternoon ... it was 35 degrees outside at about 1pm and my brother had made a pot of coffee. 

i was driving around town and seeing most people wearing just a sweatshirt (except this young lady was wearing a short sleeved shirt).  I asked myself, “how cold is it going to get here if at 34 degrees (it warmed up a whole degree later) people aren’t bring out their foul weather gear?

was it the actual temp or real feel temp...?

• Like 2

In the middle of pulling all my 10" R2R tapes down from the cabinets and making sure each reel is in the right box.  Last year I numbered all the boxes but not the reels and some have gotten misplaced.  This means I have to play a bit of each reel.  Labor intensive.  So going out later to buy some peel and stick numbers to apply to the reels.

It would help if you gents would discourage me from looking at new turntables.  I have been looking at two.....the Music Hall 9.3 with a Goldwing Eroica moving coil and the VPI Prime Scout with no cartridge.  With the MC it would mean getting a Cambridge phono pre at another $250.  With the Prime Scout I could choose a MM cartridge and not have to get a separate pre.  Each table is around $2400.  Remember I'm just a retired guy, living on a pension, and came back to the USA to vote since I couldn't get an absentee ballot:mellow:

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

In the middle of pulling all my 10" R2R tapes down from the cabinets and making sure each reel is in the right box.  Last year I numbered all the boxes but not the reels and some have gotten misplaced.  This means I have to play a bit of each reel.  Labor intensive.  So going out later to buy some peel and stick numbers to apply to the reels.

It would help if you gents would discourage me from looking at new turntables.  I have been looking at two.....the Music Hall 9.3 with a Goldwing Eroica moving coil and the VPI Prime Scout with no cartridge.  With the MC it would mean getting a Cambridge phono pre at another $250.  With the Prime Scout I could choose a MM cartridge and not have to get a separate pre.  Each table is around $2400.  Remember I'm just a retired guy, living on a pension, and came back to the USA to vote since I couldn't get an absentee ballot:mellow:

Well, you could just get an inexpensive phono/pre...lol Hard to tell you how to spend your money there Tarheel/Chuck. Po'Folk like me can only have our dreams...:emotion-21: As for the RTR id, all I can say is, yes, hard work listening to the RTR again. Done similar type of oversights. Yet had a good excuse, as only had a few that needed not an id system. And then one day, of a sudden, my collection mult-plied somehow...:blush2:

That is how we met here awhile back, commenting on your cd's and music room storage organization. And yes, it was complimentary, as was called for ATT :emotion-21:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Then please, allow me. Don't do it. 

• Haha 2

@Tarheel A low output MC cartridge and good phono stage made a big improvement to my ears. I stress Low output MC....I didn't check that cartridge but from memory a lot of MCs sold with tables are higher output. Make sure you like it before you buy. In the $2K range I think there is a ton of value in used tables and new cartridges. it does seem to add up quickly. When you buy an amp you maybe buy cables. With turntables there is the table, arm and cartridge all that need to play nice together. Now a phono stage or new preamp that has one. Then a better clamp, then some upgrade you did not shell out for new like a matt or brush or stylus cleaner. I tell you it is madding. Sometimes I think I should have just kept my Music Hall MMF-5 with dynavector cartridge and been done.

That said can't go wrong with MH or VPI. I say spend $200 on some new vinyl and see if you really want/need to spend 10 X that on a table.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, rplace said:

@Tarheel A low output MC cartridge and good phono stage made a big improvement to my ears. I stress Low output MC....I didn't check that cartridge but from memory a lot of MCs sold with tables are higher output. Make sure you like it before you buy. In the $2K range I think there is a ton of value in used tables and new cartridges. it does seem to add up quickly. When you buy an amp you maybe buy cables. With turntables there is the table, arm and cartridge all that need to play nice together. Now a phono stage or new preamp that has one. Then a better clamp, then some upgrade you did not shell out for new like a matt or brush or stylus cleaner. I tell you it is madding. Sometimes I think I should have just kept my Music Hall MMF-5 with dynavector cartridge and been done.

That said can't go wrong with MH or VPI. I say spend $200 on some new vinyl and see if you really want/need to spend 10 X that on a table.

^^^^^

---and thank you for the validation. Don't do it. A rabbit hole equal to or worse than the hifi rig itself.

• Like 2