Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

can't put it off any longer.

I've been waiting for the coals to burn down in the stove, before I sweep the chimney. Not as low as I would like. "Out" for instance. Taking the baffles out is fun when they are hot. not....

And when the stove is hot, the creosote drafts up the chimney, and all over you, when you clean it.  Sounds like a good way to get out of doing laundry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:
17 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

Chicory is an acquired taste.

So is scotch and I can't do that either.  I keep trying though, thinking one day I'll like it but it looks like that day will never come.

It really is an acquired taste, both.

I remember for one Pilgrimage Andy brought some Irish whisky and at the end of the night we were drinking shots of it. Can't lie it was very rough, I think it was Powers brand.

Another time was last Pilgrimage we were invited to go eat with the Klipsch people in town for the museum transfer and while eating everyone was poured a medium size glass of PWK's favorite whisky, Bushmills and we all did a toast to PWK. After the toast Christy and the girl next to me slid there glasses over to me and said I can't handle this, it's terrible. These were good size glasses, by the time I finished these and the Margarita I ordered I was kind of lit up, it was fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, dtel said:

It really is an acquired taste, both.

I remember for one Pilgrimage Andy brought some Irish whisky and at the end of the night we were drinking shots of it. Can't lie it was very rough, I think it was Powers brand.

Another time was last Pilgrimage we were invited to go eat with the Klipsch people in town for the museum transfer and while eating everyone was poured a medium size glass of PWK's favorite whisky, Bushmills and we all did a toast to PWK. After the toast Christy and the girl next to me slid there glasses over to me and said I can't handle this, it's terrible. These were good size glasses, by the time I finished these and the Margarita I ordered I was kind of lit up, it was fun.

kind of lit up.  heh.  after 3x Bushmills + a 'rita - I think I'da been ready for something.  not sure what - paint the town red.  or maybe a nap.  IDK.  but back in the day... whoa!

look out - trouble is a comin'!

• Haha 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

can't put it off any longer.

I've been waiting for the coals to burn down in the stove, before I sweep the chimney. Not as low as I would like. "Out" for instance. Taking the baffles out is fun when they are hot. not....

And when the stove is hot, the creosote drafts up the chimney, and all over you, when you clean it.  Sounds like a good way to get out of doing laundry.

It's surprising how long the coals stay glowing under the ashes, I hate when i find this out when trying to shovel out ashes. One good thing is someone gave me an old heavy Stainless bucket used to milk cows and it's what I use, but the smoke and heat is no fun.

• Like 2

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, -js- said:

kind of lit up.  heh.  after 3x Bushmills + a 'rita - I think I'da been ready for something.  not sure what - paint the town red.  or maybe a nap.  IDK.  but back in the day... whoa!

look out - trouble is a comin'!

What was surprising was the size of the glasses of Bushmills, it was like a medium size water glass. What happened was the restaurant never had that brand so the owner went and got a few bottles and I guess he just split it up between about 25 of us. It really was alot, way more than a few shots in each glass. The good thing was they got a bus to bring everyone so there was none of us driving, the restaurant was in Texarkana 30 minutes away, very nice place. Plus they had wine and champagne on the bus, I was a little crispy when it was over.

Couldn't get to crazy we were with some important people, well no more than they did at least, it was fun. After everything was over the owner of the restaurant wheeled over a cart and started making Bananas Foster for everyone, he was pretty good at it.... pic

pilgrimage_2017-001_(78).JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, T2K said:

Years ago when I did a little deer hunting there were 2 Yankees that joined our hunting club. One day they invited a few of us over to their trailer (clubhouse wasn't luxurious enough) for coffee. It was the worst coffee I have ever tasted. But it would remove tar from your car and if you spooned the grounds from the bottom of the pot and caked it on rust after a few days the rust would be gone right down to bare metal.

Damn Yankees!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, dtel said:

What was surprising was the size of the glasses of Bushmills, it was like a medium size water glass. What happened was the restaurant never had that brand so the owner went and got a few bottles and I guess he just split it up between about 25 of us. It really was alot, way more than a few shots in each glass. The good thing was they got a bus to bring everyone so there was none of us driving, the restaurant was in Texarkana 30 minutes away, very nice place. Plus they had wine and champagne on the bus, I was a little crispy when it was over.

Couldn't get to crazy we were with some important people, well no more than they did at least, it was fun. After everything was over the owner of the restaurant wheeled over a cart and started making Bananas Foster for everyone, he was pretty good at it.... pic

understood.  when being entertained, or entertaining others, it's probably good etiquette to not get much more out of order than the rest of the group.  (allow for someone to outdo you in that dept.  :P  )

yea, Bananas Foster is impressive.  but sort of seems like an awful waste of premium liquor just for show...

back in our much wilder days, seems like I remember a party getting wild.  folks were blowing the hi test stuff from their mouths & lighting it up.  I vaguely remember someone else escalated that, I think catching butane from a lighter, lighting that up.  I think someone lost some eyebrows in the process.

and no, I don't indulge in that sort of craziness (any more )

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, -js- said:

and no, I don't indulge in that sort of craziness (any more )

I don't either, well never did that kind of craziness anyway, just drank it.

Well I wasn't really worried about the people we were with, I would just rather them think I have something wrong with me than to prove it, plus I don't work for them so it could only go so far. ;) And I do know a bunch of them and they are no better as far a crazy goes. It was fun

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Well, first of all, never, ever buy ground coffee, especially if it's at the grocery store.  Take a look at the "roasted on" date, or the "good until" date.  That will give you a clue.  If you have it ground at a coffee shop, that is marginally better, but it will degrade rapidly while it sits on your counter.

Buy a burr grinder (it doesn't have to be expensive), and buy whole bean coffee.  Grind your own at home just before you make a batch.  Use filtered water.

I use the Chemex pour over method, or when I want a serious caffeine kick, French press.  After many years of coffee experimentation, I've settled on these two as the best....for me.

My brew of choice is a dark espresso roast, or a varietal called Monsooned Malabar.  Both from a local roaster, because I like to shop locally.

Really don't mean to sound condescending, (I really don't), but if you think Starbucks is great stuff....you don't know what you're missing .....

I developed my appreciate for coffee in France and Italy.  There are certainly some things we do wrong, and you are dead right about not buying ground coffee.  King of like buying used shoes. And no one could use one of those spinning toys they call coffee bean grinders.  

Not familiar with Chemex, sounds like something out of DuPont.  But I agree with the French Press.  I think that some drip coffee makers are up there these days if you get the right one, but for cryin out loud you don't set it up the night before and leave it sitting out.

If you need filtered water, you are living in in the  wrong part of the country.  If your water is not good enough to make coffee what are you doing drinking it? Seattle water is so good, I would never filter it.

Your choice of roast is interesting.  For me, dark espresso roast changes the coffee too much.  It also burns off the caffeine. Even the French roast goes too far.  I like a nice Italian roast.

Here's a question for you,  How do you drink an espresso?

• Confused 1

If you guys ever want a great alternative,  there is a coffee farm on the big island in Hawaii called Greenwell's.  Great coffee, but they were discovered and the price went nuts.  But still OK for special occasion. Their Full City Roast is now $37 a pound and it used to be $22.  Not sure where else to look, but real 100% Kona coffee is special.  The other notable one is Jamaican Blue Mountain, whihc can be had for around $30 a bag.  Very distinct flavor.  Of course Amazon will deliver a pound to you in 2 days for $26.  No, really, it s Blue Mountain Jamaican coffee, really.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, WillyBob said:

Musta been weak. Mine woulda left a hole in the metal. HaHaha

Chicory is an acquired taste. I bet dtel would like RedSea from our roaster. It's a premium. Special ... dried with the cherry on the bean. Reminded me of chickory

@WillyBob What is the deal with Chicory anyway?  My mom is from the South, but she got better.  We went to see her family, and I thought it was coffee.  It is an acquired taste the same way that an STD is.  I am just joking, but god it was awful.  My wife's family is from Charleston, South Carolina (she got better too) and her dad just loved boiled peanuts.  I tasted the corner of one and was sick for days.  He kept say just eat one a say for a week and you will love them.  At least they have barbecue to die for.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dtel said:

It's surprising how long the coals stay glowing under the ashes, I hate when i find this out when trying to shovel out ashes. One good thing is someone gave me an old heavy Stainless bucket used to milk cows and it's what I use, but the smoke and heat is no fun.

I use my enameled roasting pan with a lid. I have to clean it up for Thanksgiving and Christmas turkeys

Vasubandu,

I have to agree about French roast. I call it pre-burned. It keeps on the stove w/o getting worse ... if that is a good thing HaHaHa

I can't say I'm familiar with that Kona. I would buy Lappert's when it dropped below$25/lb ...

It tasted like chocolate

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Out of a cup????  I don't understand the question.

Americans tend to sip an espresso like it is dainty or something.  In the bars and coffee places I frequented in Italy, the majority of men drank espresso by tilting their heads back and tossing it in their mouth.  One espresso, one swallow.  It is actually an interesting flavor experience.  

2 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

Vasubandu,

My BIL introduced me to it. He was from Alabama

don't know about chicory, except folks use it to flavor coffee, and it isn't my favorite.

Mexican coffee can be roasted in a sugar glaze that caramelizes. That makes some intimidating looking coffee. Lots of sugar and lots of ways to make it.  The grind is baasically a fine powder.  Sort of like Turkish coffee, but don't say that to a Greek.

Greek coffee is fun too and probably stronger that what people talk about.