Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

4 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

I am enjoying my fourth cup of Starbucks coffee.  People malign it, but they just don't know how to make coffee.  Best damn cup of coffee in America.

they do make some good stuff.  used to - I would only pay for it when traveling (when I put it on the expense acct)  but I've taken a liking to it & been brewing their ground at home.  gotten rather attached to it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, -js- said:
11 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

I am enjoying my fourth cup of Starbucks coffee.  People malign it, but they just don't know how to make coffee.  Best damn cup of coffee in America.

they do make some good stuff.  used to - I would only pay for it when traveling (when I put it on the expense acct)  but I've taken a liking to it & been brewing their ground at home.  gotten rather attached to it.

Rookies

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, -js- said:

sure, sure.  so what be your brew of choice sir?  do tell...  (not dtel  :P )

Well, first of all, never, ever buy ground coffee, especially if it's at the grocery store.  Take a look at the "roasted on" date, or the "good until" date.  That will give you a clue.  If you have it ground at a coffee shop, that is marginally better, but it will degrade rapidly while it sits on your counter.

Buy a burr grinder (it doesn't have to be expensive), and buy whole bean coffee.  Grind your own at home just before you make a batch.  Use filtered water.

I use the Chemex pour over method, or when I want a serious caffeine kick, French press.  After many years of coffee experimentation, I've settled on these two as the best....for me.

My brew of choice is a dark espresso roast, or a varietal called Monsooned Malabar.  Both from a local roaster, because I like to shop locally.

Really don't mean to sound condescending, (I really don't), but if you think Starbucks is great stuff....you don't know what you're missing .....

• Like 2

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, -js- said:

(not dtel  :P )

No not me, most people would not like what I drink, but when you live in an area all your life it becomes habit.

Starbucks, no thanks, tasted it a few times and it was ok at best once and terrible twice, those 2 times were espresso, tasted completely burned. Now my daughter had some starsucks in little packs to make at home, that was really good. Either way I refuse to pay those prices for coffee, I'm not nearly as proud of it as they are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Well, first of all, never, ever buy ground coffee, especially if it's at the grocery store.  Take a look at the "roasted on" date, or the "good until" date.  That will give you a clue.  If you have it ground at a coffee shop, that is marginally better, but it will degrade rapidly while it sits on your counter.

Buy a burr grinder (it doesn't have to be expensive), and buy whole bean coffee.  Grind your own at home just before you make a batch.  Use filtered water.

I use the Chemex pour over method, or when I want a serious caffeine kick, French press.  After many years of coffee experimentation, I've settled on these two as the best....for me.

My brew of choice is a dark espresso roast, or a varietal called Monsooned Malabar.  Both from a local roaster, because I like to shop locally.

Really don't mean to sound condescending, (I really don't), but if you think Starbucks is great stuff....you don't know what you're missing .....

cool.  and I'm not sensing any condescension at all, so well delivered.   :emotion-21:  thanks for the feedback.  I may have to check into this.

• Like 3

I have a burr mill, unfortunately, it's a hand crank.

I can't do Starbuck's either.  Just personal preference.  I like my mud hot, strong and black. I bought a cup of SB last time I was in LAX.  It was still in my hand when I got to Tucson. Might been a bogus batch. I couldn't drink it.

dtel,

you drink chicory coffee?

• Like 2

Years ago when I did a little deer hunting there were 2 Yankees that joined our hunting club. One day they invited a few of us over to their trailer (clubhouse wasn't luxurious enough) for coffee. It was the worst coffee I have ever tasted. But it would remove tar from your car and if you spooned the grounds from the bottom of the pot and caked it on rust after a few days the rust would be gone right down to bare metal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

I have a burr mill, unfortunately, it's a hand crank.

I can't do Starbuck's either.  Just personal preference.  I like my mud hot, strong and black. I bought a cup of SB last time I was in LAX.  It was still in my hand when I got to Tucson. Might been a bogus batch. I couldn't drink it.

dtel,

you drink chicory coffee?

7 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Yes he does.  I can't take it though.

About half the time, New Orleans blend or dark roast Community the rest of the time, but I do like the coffee and chicory as much as any.

• Like 2

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, babadono said:
1 hour ago, vasubandu said:

you must be vibrating by now:)

I was thinking the same thing, he is usually wound up already. :blink:

• Haha 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

Musta been weak. Mine woulda left a hole in the metal. HaHaha

Chicory is an acquired taste. I bet dtel would like RedSea from our roaster. It's a premium. Special ... dried with the cherry on the bean. Reminded me of chickory

The ones I listed are my favorite, but when it comes down to it ALMOST any coffee will work in an emergency.

I remember traveling with my family and we would stop to eat he would get always get coffee, and we knew what we were in for but the waitress had no idea.  He would first look in the cup, if he could even see slightly half way down the cup because it was weak the waitress never had a chance or knew what was coming. He was nice about it but the replacement cup better be dark.

• Like 2

A friend and I went fishing one day.  We had coffee at my place. A couple cups each. About a half hour down the road, he is cracking a beer. I commented about 4AM being a little early for that. 

He says, "Bill, I had to. I was about to jump outa my skin"..

I feel the same. If I can see the bottom of the cup through an inch of coffee, it's gonna be a little weak...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2