Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

that was 20yrs+ ago.

they are growing coffee on Kauai. Maybe the roast ... wasn't Kona. Sorry

change up

a question based on ignorance

In the direct drive turntables

is a large diameter "outrunner" brushless motor being used? With the platter as the "armature"  

outrunners tend to "cog" ["click" from one magnet to the next] but I am thinking the diameter would smooth it out

I used teeny out runners in my r/c. Some were 2gm.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

that was 20yrs+ ago.

change up

is a large diameter "outrunner" brushless motor being used? With the platter as the "armature"  

outrunners tend to "cog" ["click" from one magnet to the next] but I am thinking the diameter would smooth it out

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WillyBob said:

that was 20yrs+ ago.

change up

There is no clicking to be heard.  As for Kauai,  growing coffee is more recent than 20 years, but I am not totally sure about that.  Coffee is not native, that is for sure, but neither are pineapples nor macadamia nuts.  Anyway, it's a little more complicated than that, but ongoing coffee operations on Kauai are more recent after disregarding the early days of failure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_production_in_Hawaii

• Like 2

Hi Oldtimer

They were just starting on coffee in the early 90's.  Iniki raised hell, but the coffee survived. It wasn't very good, though. $4/lb says it all

I was on Kauai from '90 - '98

cogging on an outrunner motor would most like show as flutter, if my terminology is correct. Wow is slower [?]

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

Hi Oldtimer

They were just starting on coffee in the early 90's.  Iniki raised hell, but the coffee survived. It wasn't very good, though. $4/lb says it all

I was on Kauai from '90 - '98

cogging on an outrunner motor would most like show as flutter, if my terminology is correct. Wow is slower [?]

The advantage of direct drive is less wow and flutter, or was at the time.  The drawback was hum and perhaps rumble.

• Like 2

I don't exactly know about brushless.  I have a feeling (not researched) that the Technics tables of the late 70's and early 80's were brushless, and utilized a single magnet design.  I would suspect my old table from then would have worn out by now otherwise.  Admittedly I have never even thrown any lubrication oil into it for its entire life.  The damn thing refuses to break!  It still spins as steady as the first day.  I have replaced brushes in the electrical systems of a few cars though.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, vasubandu said:

If you need filtered water, you are living in in the  wrong part of the country.  If your water is not good enough to make coffee what are you doing drinking it? Seattle water is so good, I would never filter it.

In eastern Co. and all of southern Az. Yez gots ta run da water through a softener. A reverse osmosis unit is a must post softening, to take the edge off.  Ya live where the work is, and adjust to be happy. Colorado Springs and New York City have the best water I've ever had, but ya work with what you've got. Kinda like room treatments.

• Like 1