Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

3 hours ago, grasshopper said:

Since  the case is built to "amplify" sound.... use it for a speaker cabinet...

they have very good wood panels ,in some of the pianos and the older the better  for sure , yes tear it apart and then see what you got ,  then cut up for 2 speakers

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

saw an ad on tv that made me chuckle

a couple is putting Christmas decorations on their house and comparing theirs to the neighbor's. At the neighbor's are 2 cars parked in the driveway and the car lights turn on.

Nothing special about that, except the

Professional drivers on a closed course...

“Don’t try this at home, kids!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, babadono said:

Cuz I can't help it..I'm a wino man...

back in my sailor days, whenever we weren't underway, one of two things happened ... (1) we'd each get a pint of some sort of liquor and go somewhere to drink it; or (2) someone would rent a motel room and we'd all pitch in on a pony keg. Great during the winter, we'd fill the bathtub with snow and set the keg in there. 

One time, in Milwaukee at a place called Grants Park, there was a stream running through the park. The park was rather large and you'd think you were in the middle of the wilderness. we put the keg in the stream to stay cold. don't recall how long afterwards someone went for another beer and the keg had emptied enough to where it floated away. Someone lost their deposit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

back in my sailor days, whenever we weren't underway, one of two things happened ... (1) we'd each get a pint of some sort of liquor and go somewhere to drink it; or (2) someone would rent a motel room and we'd all pitch in on a pony keg. Great during the winter, we'd fill the bathtub with snow and set the keg in there. 

One time, in Milwaukee at a place called Grants Park, there was a stream running through the park. The park was rather large and you'd think you were in the middle of the wilderness. we put the keg in the stream to stay cold. don't recall how long afterwards someone went for another beer and the keg had emptied enough to where it floated away. Someone lost their deposit. 

Sailors and alcohol?  I’m shocked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, DizRotus said:

it only happened once ... so I've heard. of course I wouldn't have been present for any of that kind of stuff ... I'm sure I spent every night studying nautical stuff or reading to the blind. 

For a sailor, I never could tie a knot ... my philosophy was "if you can't tie a knot, tie a lot."

• Haha 2

Not so coincidental

There is a fishing knot that is a bowline with a few wraps on the standing line before sending it down..

giving a little thought to converting the piano to a sub....assuming the box is tuned to help tones from the lower register...

[ASSUME might be the operative word here]

Mounting a driver in or to the sound board may be the go...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

Here in downtown Victoria, there's a wall with an odd railing on it.  The stone wall is about 200 feet long and roughly waist high, which had seemed plenty safe for a long time.  If you went over the wall, you would fall six metres (about three storeys) to the pavement of the parking lot below.  I don't believe anyone had fallen there.  Occasionally, big US Navy and Coast Guard ships stop by for a day or two, including Nimitz class carriers that carry 6,000 sailors.  Many of the crew enjoy some shore leave, of course, and I've seen the Shore Patrol members (constables?) wandering around downtown in pairs, presumably on the lookout for unruly sailors.

After the third US sailor fell over the wall within six months, this time sustaining fatal head injuries, the special double-row railing was installed.  It features a typical top rail, plus another rail that's further out, so even if a tall person tips over the top inner rail, the outboard rail will catch him.  I don't believe there have been any falls since, fatal or otherwise.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/american-sailor-dies-in-victoria-1.537212

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Islander said:

Here in downtown Victoria, there's a wall with an odd railing on it.  The stone wall is about 200 feet long and roughly waist high, which had seemed plenty safe for a long time.  If you went over the wall, you would fall six metres (about three storeys) to the pavement of the parking lot below.  I don't believe anyone had fallen there.  Occasionally, big US Navy and Coast Guard ships stop by for a day or two, including Nimitz class carriers that carry 6,000 sailors.  Many of the crew enjoy some shore leave, of course, and I've seen the Shore Patrol members (constables?) wandering around downtown in pairs, presumably on the lookout for unruly sailors.

After the third US sailor fell over the wall within six months, this time sustaining fatal head injuries, the special double-row railing was installed.  It features a typical top rail, plus another rail that's further out, so even if a tall person tips over the top inner rail, the outboard rail will catch him.  I don't believe there have been any falls since, fatal or otherwise.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/american-sailor-dies-in-victoria-1.537212

America thanks it’s neighbor to the North for erecting special fencing in order to corral our drunken citizens (whatever the persuasion, civilian or military). A well deserved toast 🥃🍺🍻🥂🍹🍾🍷😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

four of us walking around some town one night all drunk (allegedly).  dead of winter and freezing cold. walking across this bridge and we're talking about how if you fell in the river you'd die. one guy said you wouldn't.  About 20 yards later, I turn around and this guy is halfway over the bridge rail. the rest of us run back and grab him. He wanted to prove that you could fall in and survive. he fought; but we had him by the arms and legs and started carrying him back to the ship. he's kicking and screaming and cop pulls up, I told him that our friend had too much to drink and we're taking him home. cop says "just don't hurt him."

next morning, there is a puddle of puke next to his rack. we told him to clean it up and he said he didn't do it. we knew he did and demanded that he be the one to clean it up. he tried to say that he was sound asleep then woke up and someone came in the room and threw a pizza.  "okay, buddy ... YOU get to clean up the pizza then."

oh, the good ol days.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Fishing Knots: Definitive Guide [7 Essential Knots + Tips] (fishingpioneer.com)

Got the smoker working with a pork shoulder, 88c lb.  With mustard greens and black eyed peas should make a dandy New Years Day feast.

Hangman's Knot appears to be the one that I use. 

your meal sounds good. never had black eyed peas though. I  love greens though ... particularly collard greens.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1