Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

18 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Beyond crazy,

CRIMINAL DERELICTION OF DUTY. It angers me that they burned that stuff, they had to know that it would create that outlawed poison.

Well ya know....'build back better' 🙃 Hope all are ok for the years to come. Take care~ Mike

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

closest neighbor is a block away. Only complaint from him is he would like it a little louder.

That'll work!!  Get the wolves and coyotes screaming out here sometimes. Wonder if they're singing..or are they complaining? 👊

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

no wolves here.... we do have a pack of coyotes.  Used to see them. A guy used to feed a 3 legged one. Was the healthiest coyote I've ever seen. Had a good coat... some meat on its bones..

I enjoy the ravens. They're kinda spooky, at times. The same neighbor used to feed them, too. 20 or 30 sitting on the power lines starts feeling like "The Birds"...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

No feeding out in these parts.. causes problems. Knew of a dude that was setting feed blocks out in his front for deer and birds. He lived a couple hundred yards from a state hwy route. I am convinced that he caused a few hits on that road over the years. I knew him as Dr Doolittle. I hope no one ever got hurt. We call it wildlife baiting around here and is considered 'illegal'. We hunt etc and want no part of having cougars, bears, wolves, moose etc getting accustomed to feed. Can alter their ranging patterns and attitudes change too. Also can pass disease. A  young ram behind us...  take care~ Mike

_MG_5017-2w.jpg

• Like 4

We’ve had some Coyotes come through our neighborhood before.

We’ve also had some bears in the yard.

I’ve started keeping my heater on me when I’m out in my shop late at night after a few months back when I startled one when I went to head inside for the evening.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Mikekid said:
18 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Beyond crazy,

CRIMINAL DERELICTION OF DUTY. It angers me that they burned that stuff, they had to know that it would create that outlawed poison.

Well ya know....'build back better' 🙃 Hope all are ok for the years to come. Take care~ Mike

So... the area we are looking at moving to in the Philippines. A small community about 6 miles from the coast 600 feet above sea level. No close volcanoes, no rail lines or chemical plants nearby.  The town on the coast is has a population around 130k, three universities and an airport and ferry service, a couple of different hospitals.

Don't know if we will make it there or end up staying here. such is life.

• Like 2

Had coyotes in Charlotte the last decade I was there. Even in the old money parts of town closer to downtown. The fu fu dogs (< 20 lbs) were dissapearing daily. The big 60 gallon roll out dumpsters kept `em out of the garbage for the most part.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Whew,  place is on a roll today.  Had to get the old bones to the burn clinic today.  I got reduced to two band aids.  One happy boy so slipped out to jam nite for a test run tonight.  Soooo tired of gauze wraps around my toes.  Almost 5 months to heal and that alone was insane.  Gonna sleep like a baby tonight.  That wrap dragged my blankie and sheets all over the place every night.

Exactly what it felt like about 4 times a night.  Ugh...

Wild animals?  We actually had a few cougar sightings around here last summer, which it totally nuts.  

That would be a tough call Marvel.  You'll sort it I'm sure.  The best to you both in whatever shakes out.

@grasshopper when all else fails crank it up and grin!   😂

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Whew,  place is on a roll today.  Had to get the old bones to the burn clinic today.  I got reduced to two band aids.  One happy boy so slipped out to jam nite for a test run tonight.  Soooo tired of gauze wraps around my toes.  Almost 5 months to heal and that alone was insane.  Gonna sleep like a baby tonight.  That wrap dragged my blankie and sheets all over the place every night.

Exactly what it felt like about 4 times a night.  Ugh...

Wild animals?  We actually had a few cougar sightings around here last summer, which it totally nuts.  

That would be a tough call Marvel.  You'll sort it I'm sure.  The best to you both in whatever shakes out.

@grasshopper when all else fails crank it up and grin!   😂

Get better! And glad you got that wrap off ya! That would irritate this sht outta me. Rough enough getting any sleep as it is. Thanks for Ted here too. My favorite of his.... 👊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mikekid said:

That would irritate this shit outta me. Rough enough getting any sleep as it is. Thanks for Ted here too. My favorite of his.... 👊

Ted's a great guy and funny as crap.  He's a major archery buff and idolizes Fred Bear.  Not sure if he still does it but they used to have "The Whiplash Bash" up in Detroit every NYE.  Insane show to say the least.  It was a NYE must for me every year.  Beats sitting around somewhere doing nothing.  lol

One year he had Sammy Hagar come in and do it with him.  Sammy was great and hilarious as usual then Ted came out and lit the place up literally. 

The Palace in Auburn Hills (a burb of Detroit) was ALWAYS sold out months in advance.  I had my 4 down front at will call so it was ON.  Just before midnight Ted went radical on Janet Reno who was then Secretary of State. 

He had a couple sections saved for this stunt.  He had a dummy of her in the far upper corner at the rear of the venue so they put it in the spotlight.  Ted came out w/a bow and did the flaming arrow trick OVER the audience. 

He shot that arrow the entire length of the venue and nailed her in the chest to light her up.  I was like WTF IS he doing THEN he did it.  I was told he was gonna pull something.  lol  Needless to say it was the last time THAT ever happened that I know of.  The crowd went nuts.   :)     Great guy and absolutely out of the box.  lol  Wait, I"m old...  That was a LONG time ago but he nailed it.  :)

Sleep?  Wasted time!    😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Marvel said:

Glad you're down to band aids. Was a long road for sure and methinks someone's taking care of you.

Me too.  5 stinkin months gimpin around.  A pita for me AND my oldest wrapping it on a regular basis.  He takes care of all of us if you listen methinks!  Thanks!  :)

• Like 4

On 2/24/2023 at 12:12 PM, Mikekid said:

That'll work!!  Get the wolves and coyotes screaming out here  👊

Fighting over a fresh kill. 🙄

I had this constantly for a few years

They ate everything, then moved on

One was looking at my Chiwawa through the chain link fence oncehe knew what a smoke pole was though. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One of the guys I hunted with at work shot a deer one evening and it immediately bounced over the ridge line out of site.

He waited for a little while before he started tracking it so as not to scare it further away.

Well, the deer was just barely over the ridge line and back into the woods but by the time he got there it was already half eaten by coyotes.

Within about 30 minutes they had removed the back half of it all the way up to the shoulders.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

One of the guys I hunted with at work shot a deer one evening and it immediately bounced over the ridge line out of site.

He waited for a little while before he started tracking it so as not to scare it further away.

Well, the deer was just barely over the ridge line and back into the woods but by the time he got there it was already half eaten by coyotes.

Within about 30 minutes they had removed the back half of it all the way up to the shoulders.

sounds like they were hunting the same deer

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Had a young Horned Owl try to take my head off out in back last summer. I was watching it out of corner of my eye and then it launched off the barn, just missing my head. Think it wanted my grey baseball hat? Yeah, farm cats take a beating around here from the critters..🙃 ~This was mom owl taking off from shop. Landed on top of dinner out in the field

_05A3332-5.jpg

• Like 5

Rolled out about 830AM this morning and thought just for the heck of it I'd slip out to McD's.  Got home, took a look at my bounty, had one bite of their steak & egg bagel and pitched it.  Been a long time since I've had any "fast" food.  Going to be even longer before I turn into another one.  Sad.  lol

Those cacti bloomin out in the land of cactus yet @grasshopper?  Just about time for ya to start workin on that golf swing again.  Whip it good!  The cowboy survive the rodeo?

@Mikekidowls have a coolness factor about them.  One around here the past couple summers.   Dude across the street has about 7-8 50-60' oaks in his yard.  Couple nests of hawks up in there, which is cool.  Always nice to sit back and watch them hit those hot spots and fly around.  Haven't lost a hat yet.  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yea guys they are cool, and the noises a pair of Great Horned made 15 ft outside my bedroom window one night freaked me out. Then they moved and I saw them!

Sounded like goblins or some other mythic creature, think they were mating. When they flew to the electric wires I realized they were 2 1/2 ft tall and 35 lbs each!

• Like 3