Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

2 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

Right there with perch.

Bleh, I haven't had bluegill in forever.  I'll give it a 6.  When you're an hour South of Lake Erie it's easier to get perch.  Bluegill kinda become food for perch and the larger walleye when they're small.  Ya don't get many bluegill outta lake Erie.

• Sad 1

It's Sunday afternoon here , around 2.35 pm , the sun is burning steadfastly , not a cloud near 90 F . Good that the wind keeps blowing a fresh breeze in the air. Now I have spent almost the whole weekend with the glaze work on the outer roof gable wall surfaces , 15 liters of glaze in Finnish red color I have processed and finished an hour ago with the work. It looks good, I am satisfied . It is a pity that I had little free time at the weekend to recover from the strains of the last working week and tomorrow it goes on again in the job.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave1291 said:

Bleh, I haven't had bluegill in forever.  I'll give it a 6.  When you're an hour South of Lake Erie it's easier to get perch.  Bluegill kinda become food for perch and the larger walleye when they're small.  Ya don't get many bluegill outta lake Erie.

the "gills"I get are 9 - 10 inches long ... and can be filleted. The little ones are a pita, with all the bones. 

the "lake"we have is more of a pond. I thinks it's about 90acres .. and fairly shallow. 

there are some look-alike sunfish that are not as good of table fare.... such as red-ear sunfish. They can be muddy tasting. I know crappie get a lot of press... I prefer gill to them. Walleye and perch can be had in AZ....but, I can fish saltwater in the time it takes to get to the White Mountains. It's only a 3hr drive to Puerto Penasco Sonora.

what's going on here ... not much. Watching my grass grow and waiting for tomatoes to ripen.Seasonable weather coming this week. 100`F. Wife is done with school for a couple weeks. She's talking about going to IL. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With the thunderstorms today I just now got online. Nice and cool in the 60s though, just dark all day and I've had some lights on like at nighttime.

I might have believed crappies were awful just by their name. But the freshwater in the sandhills part of NC has `em and they are so sweet it is unreal. Gave them my catfish treatment half flour, half corn meal plus S&P!

• Like 3

Hi @grasshopper That's how salt and pepper catfish are made! Place on the Catawba River just west of town was credited with "inventing" S&P Catfish.

Fleetwood Mac partied there all day before their Rumors Tour concert in Charlotte... cancelled that night, someone had eye-contact troubles. Then the rescheduled one a year later when they swung back through town was cancelled too:huh2: Lots & Lots of ticked off fans.

I'm ticked because fish camps practically disappeared  shortly after the with the war on fried food (I think?).

• Like 2

@grasshopper Yea, agree.  Larger gills give ya more bang for the buck.  Perch here they roll in some crumb base then deep fry.  The high temp of the fryer melts the small bones in the perch so you rarely chomp on a bone.  That's why I'll put a lil butter on the larger fillets.  Makes those lil bones go down easier.  :)  

I see you guys.  Everyone's got a way but the end result is some really good eatin.  :) 

• Like 2

had an exciting day yesterday and quit my job at my brother's company without notice !

It just does not work in the company built up by my father , which my 20 years younger brother has taken over after the death of our father a good 2 1/2 years ago, to find a common line. I have already worked in this company with my father, there was my brother not yet! Since he was still curd in the shop window .

We had in the last 7 weeks every day dispute about work-related organizations, order processing, allocation of employees for the various projects. I had already after 1 week the first doubts whether it is at all meaningful to work in this company.

Now I will apply for another job in another company. My brother called me yesterday evening again and asked me to take back my decision since I am his "best man". I thanked him for his compliment but refused. It just does not fit for me , as I like to judge my brother as not competent and with poor qualifications and little motivation and work effort .

I worked approx. 210 hours in May alone while my brother spent the long weekends tanning his butt in the sun at the North Sea ..No No No ....He is a personal disappointment to me but it is now his company which he inherited from our father. It is no longer my business and I now draw a line and close the book. It's in the past!    

• Sad 3

Wow @MicroMara, you've had a turbulent few months.

Sounds like you need to go on holiday. Let the dust settle a little.

things are OK here... once I dumped the decaf beans from the coffee grinder. Wife asked if I wanted some fresh coffee. I said yes ... until she announced that it was decaf. That's NOT coffee. She bought it by mistake. If she didn't know it was a problem ... she does now. 

because I watch TV...

on the news... there was an incident that happened in an underground cavern. ... are there above ground caverns?

an ad for beds that adjust for the occupant snoring ... by raising the head of the bed. What if the person sleeps on their stomach? Raising the head of the bed will stop the snoring.... by either breaking their neck or smothering them...

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

Wow @MicroMara, you've had a turbulent few months.

Sounds like you need to go on holiday. Let the dust settle a little.

Yes you're right the last few months have been very turbulent , life moves , even at my age of 61 years . It is still far from the end , until the entry into my retirement , it´s still 6 long years , so it remains exciting.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Brotherly dynamics obviously can change when we're not talking and around each other day in and day out.

It's left me surprised me and mine came from the same home.

Hang Tough @MicroMara

My brother is from the 4th marriage of my father, so not my real brother. He was the "gold treasure" of my father and my stepmother and was spoiled, never had to work hard to satisfy his material needs. Actually we have nothing in common except that we have the same father.

I'm relaxed about it and I'm sure I made the right decision, according to our employment contract he has to pay me until the end of June. I now have enough time to look around for another company.

• Like 2

"Employment Contract" Hmmm, that's something I wish I could have had back in the day.

Although I protected myself from predatory employers when I was a sub-contractor, never had any agreements on paper.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Hey, I do not know how things are today, but it wasn't normal to see stuff like that in the blue collar realm of work. Upper crust white collar probably, hollywood probably, pro sports... always!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1