Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

"Employment Contract" Hmmm, that's something I wish I could have had back in the day.

Although I protected myself from predatory employers when I was a sub-contractor, never had any agreements on paper.

5 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

"Employment Contract" Hmmm, that's something I wish I could have had back in the day.

Although I protected myself from predatory employers when I was a sub-contractor, never had any agreements on paper.

In Germany it is obligatory to document the agreements between employer and employee in the form of an employment contract. Never in my life have I accepted a job without contractual protection.

• Like 2

Just now, MicroMara said:

In Germany it is obligatory to document the agreements between employer and employee in the form of an employment contract. Never in my life have I accepted a job without contractual protection.

& that's what I wondered. Cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MicroMara said:
2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

My brother is from the 4th marriage of my father

sounds like my wife's family

I need a scorecard to keep things straight. She has 3 full sisters and twenty-some half bro/sisters and by marriage only "siblings".

...and Yes.. there are some "interesting" dynamics among some. Wife doesn't speak to/of one "sister"...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grasshopper said:

sounds like my wife's family

I need a scorecard to keep things straight. She has 3 full sisters and twenty-some half bro/sisters and by marriage only "siblings".

...and Yes.. there are some "interesting" dynamics among some. Wife doesn't speak to/of one "sister"...

I think back very fondly to the time a good 45 years ago , I grew up in my grandparents house , my father had expanded the house to make room for himself and his children. My father had 3 brothers and 4 sisters, all were married and had 2 to 3 children, it was a large family. At Christmas, New Year's Eve or at the birthdays of my grandparents were all members of the family present, with my male & female cousins there were over 60 people who gathered at the festivals. It was a wonderful time, no longer comparable with the current social structures of alienated nuclear families with max. 1 or 2 children.

The children of my father from the 2nd and 3rd marriage I also do not know, the women married to him at that time have taken them, I also have no contact with my biological mother, she had remarried and had more children. The childs custody in the divorce from 1rst marriage got my father, a sister from 1rst marriage I also still have, she lives in northern Germany. I had visited her only last year for a few days. She´s 63 years old now .

• Like 4

@MicroMara a man has gotta do what he's gotta do.  Simple.  Contracts today are almost a requirement here.  Without one they refuse to pay you, you take it to court and someone else decides whether you get paid and how much you get paid.  Then you play heck getting your money. 

Rental units are totally insane.  Years ago you took them to court to get the owed rent.  In time you got it maybe.  Today, even with a contract, you can basically forget about it.  If it's a single mother OR a couple with kids you play heck getting them out w/even an eviction order.  Can't put the kids on the street so they basically squat for 90 days then you go back to court and the judge gives them another 90 days.  There's 6 months gone w/no rent plus the monies owed previously.  Then they just don't ever pay you even if the judge rules in your favor.  It's a real dog and pony show for sure here.  At least that's the way it is in Ohio. 

I had 3 VERY nice condo-like apartments in a great location all furnished washer/dryer, fridge and stove.  The last couple in there moved out took all the appliances, replaced the stove w/a lil one they got out of a trailer, the fridge they put in didn't have a door handle and was trashed and left nothing in the way of a washer/dryer.  I had photos of the loaded truck w/MY items in it and the judge said did you take pictures of the serial numbers when they were in the apartment and pictures of the same numbers in the truck?  I was like seriously???  I repainted the entire place and sold them.  Just crazy nuts here.

I feel your pain all the way around.  Sad world today.

"The whole worlds gone mad!"  Nils Lofgren quote from long ago.  He was spot on! 

BTW, I'll put the key back under the front door mat brother! :)

Enjoy that decaf @grasshopper   😂

A balmy 54 today @3PM  here in Duckburg.  Sucks to  be me!  Just fired up the heat Imma freeeezin!  lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave1291 said:

@MicroMara a man has gotta do what he's gotta do.  Simple.  Contracts today are almost a requirement here.  Without one they refuse to pay you, you take it to court and someone else decides whether you get paid and how much you get paid.  Then you play heck getting your money. 

Rental units are totally insane.  Years ago you took them to court to get the owed rent.  In time you got it maybe.  Today, even with a contract, you can basically forget about it.  If it's a single mother OR a couple with kids you play heck getting them out w/even an eviction order.  Can't put the kids on the street so they basically squat for 90 days then you go back to court and the judge gives them another 90 days.  There's 6 months gone w/no rent plus the monies owed previously.  Then they just don't ever pay you even if the judge rules in your favor.  It's a real dog and pony show for sure here.  At least that's the way it is in Ohio. 

I had 3 VERY nice condo-like apartments in a great location all furnished washer/dryer, fridge and stove.  The last couple in there moved out took all the appliances, replaced the stove w/a lil one they got out of a trailer, the fridge they put in didn't have a door handle and was trashed and left nothing in the way of a washer/dryer.  I had photos of the loaded truck w/MY items in it and the judge said did you take pictures of the serial numbers when they were in the apartment and pictures of the same numbers in the truck?  I was like seriously???  I repainted the entire place and sold them.  Just crazy nuts here.

Quiet simmilar here in germany,  and yes it´s the logical consequence to sell the property after such bad experiences.

Pain ? Not at all Dave ..another learing lesson ..that´s it ! There is no business like family business 😂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

"The whole worlds gone mad!"  Nils Lofgren quote from long ago.  He was spot on! 

BTW, I'll put the key back under the front door mat brother! :)

Enjoy that decaf @grasshopper   😂

A balmy 54 today @3PM  here in Duckburg.  Sucks to  be me!  Just fired up the heat Imma freeeezin!  lol

Just as bad in New York Judges will not evict people any more A friend used to live in his attic, rent the lower two floors to pay the Property Tax

Just does not work anymore

Govr has built Subsidized Apts all around him. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, grasshopper said:

on the news... there was an incident that happened in an underground cavern. ... are there above ground caverns?

On the news the other night I heard the reporter say

"I spoke to them at length, for a long time."  Jeeez.

• Like 2