Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Billybob, I used to work occasionally in Brooksville at Florida Crushed stone. I preformed Infrared testing on their electrical system there. We ate pizza at Genarro's if I remember right. 

Lol, Then you know the hills there. Like you know, the locals there all have whitewalls from the limerock. Wonder is there any keola down there.  Thanks for the pic,. and the other bike looked interesting.

• Like 5

Billybob, I used to work occasionally in Brooksville at Florida Crushed stone. I preformed Infrared testing on their electrical system there. We ate pizza at Genarro's if I remember right. 

Sounds like a genuine Pizza.

What is the point of infrared testing of electrical systems like the one mentioned?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Yes, I believe keola can be had in the Brooksville area. It was 25 years ago when I worked down there. Got to watch the Space Shuttle take off standing on a 200ft tall silo at FCS one morning. That was cool.

Figure may have been awhile back like me. Spectacular view on a silo of all places. Cool indeed. Place looks like still striving as I passed through recently on my job Sounds like the Pizza was genuine.

Saw the moon launch from east Orlando. Would have liked a firetower.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Speakers are not hard to find, but the ELECTRONICS are... I found one 'small' weather proof amplifier with simple inputs and about 25 wpc. Does anyone know of others that may be available ? My neighbors saw me hanging the plants and asked 'where is the music?'

Good question, I had the same problem awhile back.  I went a different direction but I had room to hide the electronics, where you may not on the deck ?

I looked for something that could take a little dampness, fog, mist or just dew. Couldn't find much out there and it's in a bar to far to run wires from inside easily, plus if I did that I would have no control without going inside to change or adjust.

Considering it's not critical listening at all and almost always at low or medium volume at best I went a different route. The speakers use in the bar are Heresy's mounted up in the roof on one end. I ended up ordering  Pioneer super tuner/CD with headphone jack input, yes a car radio, but it has pre-outs so I added a little crown D75 as the amp. To tell you the truth how it's used It is fine without the Crown, I keep an old car battery under the bar on a trickle charger for the radio.

I know it's still a car radio and I would guess I am giving up some sound quality but to be honest it sounds really good. I use the headphone input with a 15' heavy cable from Monoprice (about $4) to connect to my phone or a laptop and it's really convenient. It's mounted in a box and sits on a shelf behind the bar and the cable reaches anyone at the bar or even hanging in a hammock off to the side. I like it because I set the volume at about where I want it with the phone volume at about 75% this way I can adjust the volume with the phone without getting up. Plus the wifi reaches out there for internet radio. :emotion-21: Believe it or not I probably listen to this setup more than what's in the house, no gardens or hammock in the house ! :o  :D

It works great, I know it's not water proof but it has done fine for about 1.5 years so far with no problems and cost less than $150. (without the crown amp) I doubt a home receiver would have made it with the dampness, I was afraid to try.  I am guessing there isn't space to hide something like this on your patio but just wanted to give you a different idea to think about. 

This is a pic when I first got this brain storm :blink: I set the radio on the bar just to try it, the speakers got mounted where the grills are in this pic, pointed downward and the radio box is just slid in on a shelf behind the bar, works great..........for this situation at least.

post-9700-0-23940000-1430765682_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel
  • Like 5

• Moderators

Thanks, I would guess this is more popular over where your at in Florida.

This is after everything is installed and the speakers are kind of hidden. It is a great place to hang out and relax, I am getting good at it. :lol: 

The building is 16'x24' and was built to have a place to sit in the shade out in the garden, it kind of took off from there.

post-9700-0-23380000-1430767694_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-00180000-1430767722_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel
  • Like 5

• Moderators

Believe it or not I probably listen to this setup more than what's in the house, no gardens or hammock in the house !
You have a hammock?  You are the coolest guy on the forum.  I'm a fan of the hammock.

Yes, we do have hammocks!  Haven't you ever heard of "hammock time"!   :) Here's a couple of pics taken with my phone.

post-17944-0-59580000-1430769954_thumb.j

post-17944-0-10860000-1430769966_thumb.j

post-17944-0-80060000-1430769982_thumb.j

post-17944-0-88740000-1430769996_thumb.j

• Like 8

• Moderators

Had no idea she was reading this from the other room

Nothing cool about me, I just buy hammocks when I see a good deal. All of them were bought by my wife while setting on the beach holding a drink in Roatan, people walk up to you trying to sell them, $20 each, my kind of place. After buying 2 on the first trip when we went back we brought a big empty beach bag and got more, can't find them made like that home or online for that price. 

Have 6 of them and a place out there to hang them all, I am a big fan of hanging around. :( Very relaxing

Edited by dtel
  • Like 8

• Moderators

Nothing cool about me
   Can I still think you're cool though?

Whatever you want, just don't rate me up there anywhere around ketchup, then I know you would be loosing it.

• Like 4

Nothing cool about me
   Can I still think you're cool though?

Whatever you want, just don't rate me up there anywhere around ketchup, then I know you would be loosing it.

I would never put that kind of pressure on you  :D

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 4

• Moderators
I use Fluke's thermal imaging equipment.

Those are very cool, bring it home on the weekend and check around the house for leaks or other problems. They have services that do that but there not cheap at all.

It would also be cool to walk around the woods at night with one, look for critters.

• Like 6