Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Soooooo. I get to the shop and see my sons Honda Element.....From what he was telling me on the phone yesterday I thought it might have been some type of idle problem.....all I could get out of him was ....."it just does'nt sound right dad". I hook up my scan tool only to find all kinds of O2 sensor codes.....from both O2 sensors.......hmmmmmm, I said......let me start the truck.....well the truck started and sounded like it had no exhaust system on it.......I was thinking .......did my son run over something and he ripped the exhaust off the truck and he just forgot to tell me that??

As the truck was running I got out and had a peek under.........well what do you know...... some a$$ hole has taken a sawzall and cut my son cat converter of the truck. Not only did they cut the cat but they cut both O2 sensors and cut into the center pipe.

So the truck needs almost a complete exhaust system.........

Well time to call his insurance Co. Cuz it's not gonna be a cheap fix...

MKP :-)

• Like 5

• Moderators
Enjoying the write ups and photos from Hope. If I start making plans now me and the LF may try to attend next year. If I do I hope to see some of you there.

o

That would be great, both of you would have a good time.

• Like 3

• Moderators
As the truck was running I got out and had a peek under.........well what do you know...... some a$$ hole has taken a sawzall and cut my son cat converter of the truck. Not only did they cut the cat but they cut both O2 sensors and cut into the center pipe. So the truck needs almost a complete exhaust system......... Well time to call his insurance Co. Cuz it's not gonna be a cheap fix...

Either he was customizing it or someone stole his converters to sell, I didn't even know they still used converters on cars.

I joke about the redneck kids around here with 4 wheelers, they knock off the mufflers and add a chrome air filter holder and think they have a race bike, that's how it seems, if it's louder it must be faster is there thinking. :wacko:  

• Like 6

Good afternoon everyone.......

Ok Mustang, sorry I got the year wrong, the 65 has the longer tail light .... And 428, wow!!

It was my folks that had the '65 XL with the 390 and the duals out the back ;0) I remember those speakers with integrated courtesy lights high up in the 'C' pillars for each rear passenger which I thought was pretty cool, even though the sound was monophonic ........

• Like 6

• Moderators
There is some sort of metal in them that sells for big$$. This was big problem around about 10 years ago, mainly Hondas and Toyotas.

I was told it's platinum but that's just a guess ? I guess they use a battery powered sawzall to steal them, a little torch would be easier but would be real obvious at night, maby even more than the noise of cutting them off ?

Tigerman, sorry the 66 Galaxie 500XL 428 was sold at a car show a year or so ago.

The trash man just brought a big dumpster to the house. You all know what that means. SPRING CLEANING! 

Spring cleaning sucks, along with winter, summer and fall cleaning, OK I don't enjoy cleaning. :(

• Like 7

Well, you could get the cat replaced or you could go illegal and tune it to not look at the O2 difference. :D :D :D

If you have to pass a smog test this might not be a good idea.

Edited by JL Sargent
  • Like 4

Well so far my est is up to $2516.18 for the insurance adjuster......just the cat is $998.00

Yea dtel cars still have cat converters......lots of em. Most cars have two, even four cylinders. Some V6's and V8's have four cats.

It's tough her in Md. Md is one of the strictest states for emmisions......2nd or 3rd after......you guessed it.....California. oh yea...

• Like 4

Yep, it's platinum that they're after.  Scrap yards give decent money for the converters.  You can't hardly use a torch to cut them as the pipes aren't carbon steel.  There's enough aluminum (or something) in the exhaust pipe that will only led you melt the metal as opposed to cutting it with a torch conventionally.  A reciprocating saw is much faster than a torch in this case.

• Like 6

A few years back I could get $75 -$125 buck for a old cat. Some even more. I would save all my old cats from the cars I worked on and I had one guy I would sell them to. He gave me the best prices.

Now when I do a cat job....the dealers want the old ones back......yea they want the cores......like my son's Element it has a core charge of $110 bucks for the old cat....

It's not the parts guys.....the Honda dealer must send them back to Honda......and it's not just Honda most dealers are like that.

Those S.O.B.'s cut into my pocket money......

• Like 3

I had a cat stolen from a 96 GMC Sierra. I took it to the shop and got a cheaper aftermarket to replace it. The next night, the thieves came back and stole the other cat. 

As Carl says, they cut them off with a cordless sawzall with a torch blade.

• Like 4

What a week here!   Will miss my bud Steve :sad:    Just a couple of thoughts......

We started this thread 389 pages ago and I am most proud that there hasn't been one hostile word exchanged among the regulars or visitors here.  Yes I know we don't discuss earth shattering topics and nothing very controversial here. I know more about each one of you from our time here together.  I know about Joe's move to NC, Gary's work on organs, Carl's martinis, Chuck's music and his new buddy Baxter,  MKP's auto shop, Brian's quips and hot sauce, dtels adventures, duder's music, JL's humor, Sancho's brevity, billybobs travels, and Mark's passions.  Taz, mustang guy, Earl, schu, sputnik, Dave, BigStewMan, and others popped in from time to time and were always entertaining. 

We even stay on topic once in awhile but we consider that just an aberration and quickly go off on a dozen tangents.  I love it.... like a Cheer's bar where everyone knows your name.  JB started a thread long ago "3 Minutes To Miller Time" that was similar and a good place to hang out.  Mark now has his Scotch and Cigar thread, and Tigerman is continuing Boxx's work in RTM.  It's all great fun.

So where is he going with all this?  No where really....just saying I enjoy hearing from each of you and sharing my morning coffee with some fine folks. 

As always.......

Cheers Ladies :emotion-44: and Gents

Edited by Tarheel
  • Like 10

• Moderators

What a week here!   Will miss my bud Steve :sad:    Just a couple of thoughts......

We started this thread 389 pages ago and I am most proud that there hasn't been one hostile word exchanged among the regulars or visitors here.  Yes I know we don't discuss earth shattering topics and nothing very controversial here. I know more about each one of you from our time here together.  I know about Joe's move to NC, Gary's work on organs, Carl's martinis, Chuck's music and his new buddy Baxter,  MKP's auto shop, Brian's quips and hot sauce, dtels adventures, duder's music, JL's humor, Sancho's brevity, and Mark's passions.  Taz and BigStewMan popped in from time to time and were always entertaining. 

We even stay on topic once in awhile but we consider that just an aberration and quickly go off on a dozen tangents.  I love it.... like a Cheer's bar where everyone knows your name.  JB started a thread long ago "3 Minutes To Miller Time" that was similar and a good place to hang out.  Mark now has his Scotch and Cigar thread, and Tigerman is continuing Boxx's work in RTM.  It's all great fun.

So where is he going with all this?  No where really....just saying I enjoy hearing from each of you and sharing my morning coffee with some fine folks. 

As always.......

I know I'm a girl.....but I need a LOVE button for this.  You are some of the finest people I have ever had the privilege of knowing.

I have always been proud to be a member of this forum.  Yes, Steve will be missed, I shed my tears last night. 

Christy

• Like 7

Yep, this is like the rest stop of the forum.  You can come in without worry of scrutiny, catch your breath and then venture back out into the nonsense (which we've had no shortage of lately).

Cheers ladies and gents.

Edited by CECAA850
  • Like 5

• Moderators

Yep, this like the rest stop of the forum.  You can come in without worry of scrutiny, catch your breath and then venture back out into the nonsense (which we've had no shortage of lately).

Cheers ladies and gents.

I had no clue that all men of the world suffer from PMS....silly me, I thought it was just dtel!!!! :wacko:

• Like 6

We started this thread 389 pages ago and I am most proud that there hasn't been one hostile word exchanged among the regulars or visitors here.  Yes I know we don't discuss earth shattering topics and nothing very controversial here. I know more about each one of you from our time here together.  I know about Joe's move to NC, Gary's work on organs, Carl's martinis, Chuck's music and his new buddy Baxter,  MKP's auto shop, Brian's quips and hot sauce, dtels adventures, duder's music, JL's humor, Sancho's brevity, and Mark's passions.  Taz and BigStewMan popped in from time to time and were always entertaining. 

As always.......

What a nice tribute to a great thread. Couldn't have expressed it as well. It's about the fellowship. Thanks, Chuck.

• Like 5