Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Hey all. As you may or may not remember (sometimes I forget) I'm in the middle of a bathroom gut and remodel.  I had grandiose plans of what I would accomplish this weekend after having been out of state last weekend and accomplishing nothing then.  As I was on my way to the kitchen I noticed a wet spot on the living room carpet and asked my wife what it was.  She said, "I think I spilled water there last night".  You "think" you spilled water?  You don't "know" if you spilled water?  Alarms in my head went off.  The Berber carpet in out living room will bead up water spills and it won't soak in.  This was coming from the bottom up.  Looking around, I could see the oak floor planks edges in an adjacent room starting to raise slightly.  CRAP!  There's no water sources close to the wet carpet so that only left one thing.  AC condensation.  Sure enough, the drain in the attic (where the evaporator is) had stopped up and water was going inside and down the walls and weeping across the floors.  Not only did I get to spend some quality time in the attic clearing the drain (if you don't have a drain king in you arsenal GET ONE), I had to pull an entire corner of my living rooms carpet and pad to dry.  We ran fans all weekend and it looked pretty good this morning.  What a mess.  The bathroom project got put off again. 

Chit, iv delt w/same.

Run an another drain 3/4 pvc tapped near the same place on the Pan, run this down hill out to the eves, done. do a little P-trap with a couple of 90s, i never trust one drain, and now you know why.

• Like 5

Run an another drain 3/4 pvc tapped near the same place on the Pan, run this down hill out to the eves, done. do a little P-trap with a couple of 90s, i never trust one drain, and now you know why.

That wasn't the problem, I have that.  The evap drain pan runs over to a 2" stand pipe/  I'm ASSUMING there's a p-trap below that dumps into a vent (wet vent).  The 2" stand pipe is what plugged up.

• Like 3

That wasn't the problem, I have that.  The evap drain pan runs over to a 2" stand pipe/  I'm ASSUMING there's a p-trap below that dumps into a vent (wet vent).  The 2" stand pipe is what plugged up.

The reason i was informed to run it to the eves, was to see it actively dripping (into the flower bed)

• Like 5

OK, let's start over.  There's 2 pans in the evap system.  The first one is close to the evap and drains to the sewer.  The second one is from a very large pan under the evap pan that catches water and routs it to the eaves so you can tell that the primary drain is not working.  BOTH drains were fine.  The primary pan drain runs across the attic about 4 or 5 feet to a stand pipe in the wall that's hooked up to the sanitary sewer.  It looks like a 2" vent that the ac drains into.  It's the 2" pipe that stopped up.

• Like 3

So isn't this "stand" pipe part of the primary drain?

Yes.  If I had to guess, the 2" pipe drops down the wall and is hooked to a p-trap that ties into the lavatory plumbing somehow.  I hope I never have to find out as there's the living room on one side and a freshly remodeled guest bathroom on the other.  As of late, I haven't been overly impressed with the plumbing skills of the contractor who originally plumbed the house. 

• Like 1

The reason i was informed to run it to the eves, was to see it actively dripping (into the flower bed)

Back in the day when I played at plumbing we did it a little different in hotels.  The units were so far from the outside of the buildings, the emergency overflow pipes were put directly over the bathroom sinks.  You'd see it if there were a problem but it would drip where it wouldn't cause any damage.

• Like 3

Afternoon guys...

just got caught up on what's going on...coffee all done, gotta go to the store with the wife...I hate the store!!!!  Oh well gotta do what I gotta do.

Check in later.......she's yelling for me....

MKP :-)

Yelling for you , or AT YOU  :D

Morning guys, has cooled down here a bit, car issue hopefully solved looks like the wires are original as they are very brittle at the ends and breaking, got bored and pulled the wire off cyl 1 and found it broken at the plug end, performed a temp repair as I did on cyl 2, Off to get a wire set today Hopefully not to Expensive

Later

Yelling at me.....yelling for me .......it don't matter

• Like 2

Afternoon guys...

just got caught up on what's going on...coffee all done, gotta go to the store with the wife...I hate the store!!!!  Oh well gotta do what I gotta do.

Check in later.......she's yelling for me....

Yelling for you , or AT YOU  :D

Morning guys, has cooled down here a bit, car issue hopefully solved looks like the wires are original as they are very brittle at the ends and breaking, got bored and pulled the wire off cyl 1 and found it broken at the plug end, performed a temp repair as I did on cyl 2, Off to get a wire set today Hopefully not to Expensive

Later

Joe, it's time to take your oldest, and make a auto junk yard visit, $5bucks and you can replace every dam spark wire......

• Like 3

• Moderators

Pour a little straight bleach down that drain about twice a year. I haven't had to clean a single condenser pan or drain since I started doing it.

Exactly, many times algae can clog that pipe, just from being wet and summer temps, it grows like crazy until it covers the inside. 

Might not have been the problem but I have seen that happen before, same thing happens on window units until they can't drain out the outside.

Edited by dtel
  • Like 3