Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Mark, funny you say coar hanger. This is what i built for $7.00 and 4 coat hangers. I get 20 channels, defining all of what was said over at AVS, its even in the basement.

I was looking at one of the ones you posted but for attic mounting (which i believe are the same). I just thought i would try the bear minimal to make sure i wasn't wasting time or money.

post-27403-0-61700000-1446955425_thumb.j

Edited by duder1982
  • Like 9

Mark, funny you say coar hanger. This is what i built for $7.00 and 4 coat hangers. I get 20 channels, defining all of what was said over at AVS, its even in the basement.

I was looking at one of the ones you posted but for attice mounting (which i believe are the same). I just thought i would try the bear minimal to make sure i wasn't wasting time or money.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

$60 bucks + or- and you only buy it once, just think of the hundreds you have paid for pay TV. 60bucks for a matched Ant is nothing.

There are many designs, the biggest for the money is the way you want to think.

The wire rack attracks the UHF the small "Bowties" are the collector/feed, so bigger makes more sense.

And attic install is great, do that.

Mine is on the roof cause im an old Ham.

• Like 7

Good Saturday morning gang, its been a while since I have posted here.  I didn't want you folks to think I have forgotten about you.  I tried to read when I can.  Sounds like all is doing good, except for Ward's house issues  and Dave's dog.  Dave I have only had to put dogs down as a child, though it was hard I feel when I have to put down my family's dogs and or pets it will be even harder.   Seems the rest of you have been up to your normal projects and what not.  Mark, your landscaping photo reminds me of a time a bunch of girls got back at my brother.  By using mustard and Ketchup to draw the same design all over his car.  Lets just say the lesbians living across the street didn't find it funny.

Weather has been back and forth here, for some its great for allergies and sinuses its not.  Breakfast was Mark's favorite Belgium waffles, along with sausage links. Coffee has been ok, but plentiful.  I purchased a two pound bag of Pears French roast from Sam's.  Pears is made here in Omaha, its ok but kind of weak.  It will get me by, I am hoping they build a Costco near by soon so I can venture there and try their coffee, whiskey, and vodka.

I recently built a HDTV antenna, I am hoping to eventually cut cable.  I was looking at HDHomerun Prime, which I will connect the antenna to and it will allow me to stream local tv to all devices that can have apps.  Then will pick up a NVIDIA Shield to stream the app, along with Sling Television; which will get me ESPN, AMC, and eventually BTN.  I will only be saving $15.00 a month, but will be getting ESPN, and the BTN.  Which I currently don't have. 

This is what i have been running for the last 5 years, "UHF Bowtie" the bigger the better and you only buy it once.

HD is standard reception and you could get it with a coat hanger if you really wanted to.

This is a Channelmaster, great design and i can pullin stations from Frisco at night, "85" miles west.

27 stations are normal, 40 if i spoke spanish. but FREE, and that is what counts.

Anyone in America can do this.

Mark I want model numbers, also are you using a antenna amp / pre amp, and if so which model/models

I have been on a cheapo hdtv antenna for years now and get a few free stations but weather can cause issues, I feel like it is the antenna design as it is directional.  It came with its own amplifier as well

• Like 6

Hey Joe, im NOT seeing the thread you were shown such love in, did someone blow it away?

Yep I was tired of the troll so I decided it was time to use my new hide feature.....................I did not see anything useful being posted and I did not want to see it pulled further into the dirt  :D

• Like 5

Good Saturday morning gang, its been a while since I have posted here.  I didn't want you folks to think I have forgotten about you.  I tried to read when I can.  Sounds like all is doing good, except for Ward's house issues  and Dave's dog.  Dave I have only had to put dogs down as a child, though it was hard I feel when I have to put down my family's dogs and or pets it will be even harder.   Seems the rest of you have been up to your normal projects and what not.  Mark, your landscaping photo reminds me of a time a bunch of girls got back at my brother.  By using mustard and Ketchup to draw the same design all over his car.  Lets just say the lesbians living across the street didn't find it funny.

Weather has been back and forth here, for some its great for allergies and sinuses its not.  Breakfast was Mark's favorite Belgium waffles, along with sausage links. Coffee has been ok, but plentiful.  I purchased a two pound bag of Pears French roast from Sam's.  Pears is made here in Omaha, its ok but kind of weak.  It will get me by, I am hoping they build a Costco near by soon so I can venture there and try their coffee, whiskey, and vodka.

I recently built a HDTV antenna, I am hoping to eventually cut cable.  I was looking at HDHomerun Prime, which I will connect the antenna to and it will allow me to stream local tv to all devices that can have apps.  Then will pick up a NVIDIA Shield to stream the app, along with Sling Television; which will get me ESPN, AMC, and eventually BTN.  I will only be saving $15.00 a month, but will be getting ESPN, and the BTN.  Which I currently don't have. 

This is what i have been running for the last 5 years, "UHF Bowtie" the bigger the better and you only buy it once.

HD is standard reception and you could get it with a coat hanger if you really wanted to.

This is a Channelmaster, great design and i can pullin stations from Frisco at night, "85" miles west.

27 stations are normal, 40 if i spoke spanish. but FREE, and that is what counts.

Mark I want model numbers, also are you using a antenna amp / pre amp, and if so which model/models

I have been on a cheapo hdtv antenna for years now and get a few free stations but weather can cause issues, I feel like it is the antenna design as it is directional.  It came with its own amplifier as well

Shop the Bay and get a better deal.

Do not use an amp. amps on UHF have a tendeincy to over drive your IF circuits within your TV, not good.

Directional is correct, get it up and run an autoprogram, note how many lockin.

twist 1/4 turn and run autoprogram again, do this four or five times and you will see the max channels you can lockin.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Channel-Master-TV-Antenna-EXTREMEtenna-80-Miles-VHF-UHF-Multidirectional-4228HD-/261911647287?hash=item3cfb269437:g:-XsAAOSwstxVbQGr

Edited by minermark
  • Like 6

You will get a weather freeze now and then, even the best UHF antennas get that, but Free TV just beats the hell out of paying anything, for the crap that is on anyway.

My winter hobby is playing with my "BUD" (big ugly dish) and i search for free up there also, lots of free around.

Clouds can and do block signals even for dish owners, chit happens.

• Like 6

Mark maybe you can answer this, do you know if a UPS will run / power on without batteries connected

specific model sua3000rm2u   

Looked at the manual and it is kind of unclear, local (ish) college is switching out supplies and this one runs 500.00 and up used refurbished (I can get for under 50.00) but when plugged in first thing I got was an led stating plugged into improperly wired circuit,  I fixed that...................but batteries are basically dead and I get no indication of power at all now,  Opened the case and tested power in and through the breaker both show good.  But I dont see any power on the board

so I am curious if no battery power causes a shut down all together 

• Like 4

Mark maybe you can answer this, do you know if a UPS will run / power on without batteries connected

specific model sua3000rm2u   

Looked at the manual and it is kind of unclear, local (ish) college is switching out supplies and this one runs 500.00 and up used refurbished (I can get for under 50.00) but when plugged in first thing I got was an led stating plugged into improperly wired circuit,  I fixed that...................but batteries are basically dead and I get no indication of power at all now,  Opened the case and tested power in and through the breaker both show good.  But I dont see any power on the board

so I am curious if no battery power causes a shut down all together 

You need new batt(s) and if they have more units available to buy, get a couple more.

These dam things are great and you can see the prices on the bay.

Always start with new Batt, they last aprox 5 years, and all batts can be bought on the bay, just shop a little

USP circuits require a good Batt. :)

• Like 6

duder1982-

Cool antenna.  I might build some for my sons.  They're both cable-free.  Are the plans at the AVBS forum?

On another note, we should make a small wager regarding the game this evening between the Huskers and Spartans.  I'll have to call my college buddy Bob Newcombe, father of Bobby Newcombe, to see where his allegiance is now that Bobby has matriculated.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 5

between the Huskers and Spartans

I will still route for my team, but I would have to say it doesn't look good.  I will also say that out of the East Division Michigan St is probably one my favorites, especially when it come to encounter with their fans.  They have a better attitude about them, than what the other fans from other teams do.  GOOOO BIIIIIIG REEEED! GO BIG RED!

• Like 6

I made one of the coat hanger antennas once, but it was all slapped together and eventually fell apart. I should make another, as I'm using a antenna intended for a FM receiver.

If you want a particular channel, you have to move the wire around...it's a real drag.

But I don't watch network television, other than the local news. Which I generally just listen to from the other room.

The girlfriend watches it, which is I should make another antenna. She'll be out there playing games on her mobile phone, and the TV is cutting in and out of it's signal.

OOP! AHT! ERT! GLITCH! BMP! OOP!...etc...it makes one appreciate the fuzzy sound of a weak analog signal.

• Like 5

When Bobby was playing, I joined his dad at the Nebraska game against Texas A&M.  What a great venue.  The tailgating was incredible.  The fans were amazingly gracious.  We could only feel sorry for them when they visit Columbus, Ann Arbor or even East Lansing.  Hospitality seems to be unknown at the Big House and the Horseshoe.

Now that I'm done with my lunch of alcohol and carcinogens, I'll go outside and prime a tapped horn.  I chose the All Day IPA rather than the Imperial IPA.  The latter would have had me priming the driveway.

Enjoy the day.  May the best teams win.

TAKE THAT CONSUMER REPORTS!

post-6832-0-94380000-1446917576_thumb.jp

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 7

Primed for bass.

Lilmike's Anarchy Exodus tapped horn and Paul Carmody's Voxel sub.  Full disclosure, this TH enclosure uses a Tang Band driver.  The other four have the Anarchy Exodus driver.

Not many days as nice as this left in Michigan.

post-6832-0-18820000-1446930499_thumb.jp

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 5

Speaking of sunshine, a few thousand more of these and I can power a chip amp.

A friend gave me 3 of these.   He purchased the assets of a defunct company that made solar cells.  As the DVM shows, the sun was generating electricity.  The shadow from my hand would drop the output.

post-6832-0-93140000-1446930795_thumb.jp

• Like 5