Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Thank you US.....   I checked out your two links and found them useful with the tool for locating stations and distances etc.   I am happy to report that at the LOW height of my antenna (sold by the dealers you linked to) I can pick up those QVC, HSN, and SHOP which are 56 miles from my home...    This antenna is reported to be good for 125 miles...  Probably would do better at the higher mounting point I had it at as shown in the earlier photos.   But, it was all about getting the ONE AND ONLY VHF station in that master list...:wacko:

• Like 3

Hey there Chuck, not sure what you are talking about, but I hope you saw my antenna project which has started some interest here....    I am over in RTM listening to a nice DSD audio recording of Dark Side of the Moon.....;)  with a nice glass of Shiraz from Australia going...........a nice night BEFORE my dental appointment with a BRAND NEW dentist and technician first thing in the morning...........................:o !

• Like 5

I hear you there OT, that was a pretty SH*TTY thing to happen to your home!   I drive by TWO hip roofed homes on the way to work every day and I thought of you!    Now, I was noting my Dad's house while we were visiting last week.   He has a hip roofed ranch, but the wires from the pole stay LOW and come in under the sofet and into EMT then into the meters....

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Tigerman said:

Thank you US.....   I checked out your two links and found them useful with the tool for locating stations and distances etc.   I am happy to report that at the LOW height of my antenna (sold by the dealers you linked to) I can pick up those QVC, HSN, and SHOP which are 56 miles from my home...    This antenna is reported to be good for 125 miles...  Probably would do better at the higher mounting point I had it at as shown in the earlier photos.   But, it was all about getting the ONE AND ONLY VHF station in that master list...:wacko:

Digging deeper thru the TV Fool link gives some very interesting info on antenna placement (and FM Fool as well). I found the information regarding attic mounting counter intuitive to me when they did the testing on moving the antenna away from the side of the house (eves?) rather than closer to. In my case I have only very local transmitters 30 miles +/- and then nothing for another 100+ miles. Also very useful info on pre-amps, distro amps, etc. Seems like you have your amp situated nicely but others might consider using one that is located as close to the antenna as possible and injecting the power over coax upstream to the pre-amp (I did that in my GA home) but if done that way use the power blocking feature of splitters/diplexers to prevent the power being sent to the tuner input; think diode.

My personal opinion on a claimed 125 mile range of the antenna (any antenna in that band) is eh, questionable.  Using the available info on the links take the approximated transmitter power at your address + antenna gain - coax loss - splitter loss etc; if you have 0 strenght or better than you should have 'receiverable' signal. I forget the exact terms of 'power' and 'noise' but the links within links gets you there.

just another hobby

Mike

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tigerman said:

Glad you liked the install Billy, I know there are many more ways it could have been done...   My buddy Pezz (well known over in RTM) and I talked about the setup, he wondered why I don't just take the ABS away (since I don't need the height) and just mount a J poll !   Since my DTV dish is on a ground mounted J poll, I thought that would be a much better and pro looking job.    So, I measured the width of the actual mounting assy, and it is 5" wide !!  My 4x4" columns as you know would only be 3.5" and the overhang in the air on each side would look kind of 'bush', so I decided to leave it alone...    I will report that to him tonight ....

Ok, just read your reply.......  Well, you most likely get all you need, the majors and the publics as we do........there are the Spanish,  AND QVC, HSN which I never knew were broadcast over air, thought they were cable only....who knew ?

We are up on a very high spot here, which is probably why it works good at nearly forehead level :lol: !

Thanks for compliments ^_^

Good Friday evening gang

Tiger, went OTA some 7 years ago, comcast for the net ONLY.

Went with the "OvenRack" Big, Ugly, even a neighbor ask what it was when installing.

We pull in well over 60+ channels, 50% are of course spanish.

CM4228HD.92160903.png

• Like 5

Hey there Mark, you have a classic 8 bay bowtie antenna there, I am sure it provides plenty of gain.............that Spanish comment made me smile ;)

Mike, thanks for the info............Hear you on the 'distance' claims.   The Lava powersupply is what is in that plastic junction box and the cable from the antenna is 20' long..  The amp is sealed in the antenna disk itself...   There is supposed to be advance noise filtering in this system.   UHF gain is 32 DB and VHF is 28.....   Unplugging the power supply renders the antenna useless....  :wacko:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Check for Me Tv.  I think its over the air.  I need to make an alternative as well, but I think I am farther from the sources of big city broadcasts.

Get an "OvenRack"

Im thinking about "Doubling Down" for a winter project. just because i can.

Two beats one any day.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Tigerman said:

Hey there Mark, you have a classic 8 bay bowtie antenna there, I am sure it provides plenty of gain.............that Spanish comment made me smile ;)

Mike, thanks for the info............Hear you on the 'distance' claims.   The Lava powersupply is what is in that plastic junction box and the cable from the antenna is 20' long..  The amp is sealed in the antenna disk itself...   There is supposed to be advance noise filtering in this system.   UHF gain is 32 DB and VHF is 28.....   Unplugging the power supply renders the antenna useless....  :wacko:

Iv ran "Bowties" throughout the state for 40+ years.

Last forever and bird proof.

• Like 4

Nice on the bowties Mark.............   I have been into TV antennas since I was a little kid  back in the early 60ies.   I would even make designs out of my Erector set and put them up on my dad's garage roof with guy wires and all, even though they had NO function, I just loved seeing them up on the roof :lol:...

Now, how about the antenna  that predated the bowtie design...   There are still some up on roofs around here that were never removed when cable came into being!   I want to go around the city neighborhoods and do a photo survey of some of these antique, remaining antenna installations...  :emotion-21:

• Like 5