Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

1 hour ago, Tigerman said:

OK, my OTA antenna project is finishing up today and I have photos to share................Comcast TV cable has been discontinued for internet only, new Netflix 4K account started, we are good to go and saving $$$ now....   :emotion-21:

Enjoy your OTA experience Tigerman! We have Netflix plus local and have all we want...this from an ex-satellite retailer, installer, tech.

Cable is just another PITA unless you use for other services than entertainment and are happy... Cheers:)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

17 HMR is interesting. Rimfire with a whole lotta speed.

Thinking target and varmint! Sure would be nice to have.

14 hours ago, minermark said:

Henry 17 is what i plink with, wife has a Henry 22LR

17s very popular out west, used to be the same price for ammo

Where I come from, rare and semirare.. Now those would be fun! In the past, really followed ballistics charts found in Sports Afield and other gun mags.Old Grits Gresham knew his hardware pretty good. Rarely shoot anymore but appreciate guns quite some bit. Nancy has a S&W 6 shot revolver that is fun to plink with. Never with any gun, Ruger Stainless 6, Ruger Semi-Auto luger type, have had a CCI misfire. Sure cannot say that about some other brand left unsaid...:o Cheers Mark!

• Like 2

Thanks Billy......    So far, only two days into the BIG changes, we are happy ;)

I was a Direct TV subscriber all the way back in 1996 (one of the early accounts)!  Left them a few years ago because the internet (DSL) was SO poor, they could not even provide the fiber optic option to my area and NO plans to do so...   We were only getting 1.7 mbps at best, could not stream ANYTHING.

I called them and said we could not stay with their services any longer because of it.   This home had Comcast, and when we moved in, we used the cables for DTV.  Then, some years later, I decided to try Xfinity standard with very fast broadband until all the deals expired and the prices went skyhigh..   SO, yesterday, I made that call, packed up their receivers to send back, and we are using the cable for internet only...  Speed is an incredible 175mbps. with cat 5 ..   I may reduce that to 75mbps. offering because it would MORE then cover any thing we use and save another $30 in the process...

Ok, photos of the antenna install coming up...

• Like 3

Ok.........I did a complete 'mockup' on my deck, about where the antenna would be permanently mounted.  Using one of my pro mike stands, I tried it at about 7' off the deck floor... and was amazed that 36 channels were found by the TV auto scan!IMG_9955.jpgThen, went to Home Depot and picked up a 1 / 1/4" x 10' ABS conduit for my mast and 3 bicycle hooks for mounting to one of the wood plant columns.IMG_9956.jpg

• Like 4

Hooks installed.........lower one used to support the lightweight assy.IMG_9957.jpgAntenna attached.....this is the Lava HD8008 omni, it is the newest model using high band VHF 'wings' ..  Our local NBC is VHF and seems to be a problem for many that I have talked to with omni units...IMG_9959.jpg Cable attached...IMG_9960.jpg...and sealedIMG_9961.jpg

• Like 3

Cable run with UV tywraps every 14 inches (yeah, I know.....anal)...;)IMG_9962.jpg....she's up with temp. tywraps holding the mast in place..IMG_9964.jpg...another viewIMG_9968.jpg...yet to be tested in it's new position.....higher is  better right?   HA, I learned something quick...IMG_9973.jpg

• Like 3

eWill depend on how the signal strength  is in your location for that channel. They maybe going to UHF before long. Usually as a rule, weakest signal of interest is peaked first but, you will be having fun.

Looks fun to me...Typically yes, higher but, you may try trimming it some for sweet spot. 25-30 foot, ideal coax length for RG-6 preferably.

• Like 2

Ok, here is what I learned..........went back into the house, see what new changes occured...   HA!, would you believe that I LOST my only VHF station???    All else in the original scan was there, but NO signal where the VHF channels were.   I decided to call the station and left a voice mail to the chief engineer!

He called me back within the hour.   I asked if they were down for maintenance and he said no.   He was happy to hear my story and was rather animated and willing to share advice with me.  Even went to his computer and looked up my antenna to check out all the specs!   He said by going higher and getting a poor result could be from what in the analog days would be an image 'ghost' or second reflection.  And in the digital world, this can't be good data..  

He also said that the amplifier could be over loading as well...   But, suggested that I lower the mast and see if their signal would return.  I thanked him many times for spending time with me and all was good.

So, I cut about 7' of the mast !!   Remounted and PRESTO, the VHF returned :emotion-21:.

Now, completed, it looks like this and we still get everything else from the original scan ...  I bought stainless hose clamps to lock it into place. The whole deal weighs maybe 6 pounds ?OTA%20Finished%209-9-2016.jpg.......here is the down and dirty...  Installed a ground block (our utilities are underground and come up here), the upper is internet, goes directly to modem in the garage and carried from there to two repeaters. While the lower is OTA antenna...IMG_9999.jpg

• Like 2

Lastly, I wanted to keep the amplifier powersupply and all NEAR the antenna, so, I used a food container and mounted it under the deck, fed in the AC etc. and it should stay protected/vented and dry..  Just need to spray all the connectors with PURE silicone to keep the moisture out...   There you have it, a two day vacation project that works :D IMG_9998.jpg...thanks for reading - viewing...

.......Gary

• Like 3

Glad you liked the install Billy, I know there are many more ways it could have been done...   My buddy Pezz (well known over in RTM) and I talked about the setup, he wondered why I don't just take the ABS away (since I don't need the height) and just mount a J poll !   Since my DTV dish is on a ground mounted J poll, I thought that would be a much better and pro looking job.    So, I measured the width of the actual mounting assy, and it is 5" wide !!  My 4x4" columns as you know would only be 3.5" and the overhang in the air on each side would look kind of 'bush', so I decided to leave it alone...    I will report that to him tonight ....

Ok, just read your reply.......  Well, you most likely get all you need, the majors and the publics as we do........there are the Spanish,  AND QVC, HSN which I never knew were broadcast over air, thought they were cable only....who knew ?

We are up on a very high spot here, which is probably why it works good at nearly forehead level :lol: !

Thanks for compliments ^_^

• Like 2

Lol, yes out of the way of people has to be good. Used the J-Pole many times in past for satellite of course but, for OTA as well. A nice clean install is much more aesthetically pleasing than the J-Pole which was designed basically for the roofline "birdsnest". Of course some prefer a pole mount. Prefer what looks good and can take some windloading., that is, sturdy enough of a  platform. Said too much but, looks good to me.

• Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 3:18 PM, CECAA850 said:

Perfect.

You still upset over the vodka slurpies comment?  Thought you Texas boys had thick skin but then you spilled the beans when you said that you are really from "upstate New York".

Now it makes sense....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tigerman said:

Glad you liked the install Billy, I know there are many more ways it could have been done...   My buddy Pezz (well known over in RTM) and I talked about the setup, he wondered why I don't just take the ABS away (since I don't need the height) and just mount a J poll !   Since my DTV dish is on a ground mounted J poll, I thought that would be a much better and pro looking job.    So, I measured the width of the actual mounting assy, and it is 5" wide !!  My 4x4" columns as you know would only be 3.5" and the overhang in the air on each side would look kind of 'bush', so I decided to leave it alone...    I will report that to him tonight ....

Ok, just read your reply.......  Well, you most likely get all you need, the majors and the publics as we do........there are the Spanish,  AND QVC, HSN which I never knew were broadcast over air, thought they were cable only....who knew ?

We are up on a very high spot here, which is probably why it works good at nearly forehead level :lol: !

Thanks for compliments ^_^

Check for Me Tv.  I think its over the air.  I need to make an alternative as well, but I think I am farther from the sources of big city broadcasts.

• Like 3