My latest project - 66 Beetle

mustang guy

I have been working hard on this for about 9 months. Although there are some wiring issues which I haven't sorted out, the car was finished last night at about 10:30PM. This was an exhausting restoration. It is for my friends daughter's birthday and her high school graduation. When it came in, the front was wrecked because the brakes gave out. It has a new front disc brake kit and a dual master cylinder instead of a single. The front clip is new, the floors are new, the bottoms are all new, the door posts are new, the bumper supports are new, the hood is new, two fenders, new fender rubber, new upholstery, new spare, new jack, under the hood was complete crap and was redone. I nicknamed the car Alka-Seltzer because there was so little of the original car, and so much rust. It was awful, and not even a candidate for a parts car. A complete junker!

Now it has new life. I don't know how many hours of welding alone, but I would estimate 250 hours. Today Tim's daughter will see the car for the first time. Sadly not to drive due to the electrical troubles, but hopefully we will sort those out within the next week.

http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/wvmustangs/library/1966%20VW%20Beetle

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 3

Love it. This takes me back. I had a '71 convertible which I wound up keeping for about 16 years, even as other cars came and went. Finally sold it to a couple in need of wheels and saw it on the road from time to time. You do great body work.

• Moderators

Nice looking bug, I will always like those they were my first car. Looks like you put more work that what it is worth, if you just count dollars. Nice job

She should have no problem spotting it in a parking lot. :D

My dad knew a guy that had 4 bugs all before 66 and one van. My dad brought them all home and told me take them all apart and make one and you can have it. I was 13 and it took me a year but still had to wait another year for my learners permit.

The JC Whitney catalog was my best friend, they had all the rubber gaskets for the fenders and other things, and 6V sucked trying to find parts, never did get a decent heater working.

They were all wrecked somehow but I was able to make one good bug, it was funny it would go like 58 mph but if you would roll up the windows it would get to 60 mph.

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

67...the first year of the 12 volt electrics was very collectible. Remember the split window bugs?

Later they were built in Mexico. Smog control and safety bumpers but a damper on things for sure. I did have a 71 or 72 with a 1600cc engine that you could bury the needle at 90 mph.....and I did so on occasion :mellow:

• Like 1

Driving home from ski trip in buddy's VW van. Full throttle up the passing lane. Car pulls up to the road. Damn! State Police on the door. Looked down to see how bad of a ticket I was going to get. YEE HAA 50 mph no ticket on the highway. It was a good ski bus though. He'd put a gas heater in it that could run you out.

• Like 1

:o gorgeous. Thats some nice work! Nice job! Bugs are hot as ever right now...thats what my daughter wants as well, next month. She has an 04 audi a6 for now hand me down from from sister...im a bit nervous though with its power...iv been watching bugs now for 2 years....thats all my grandmother ever drove.

Man Craig. I gotta hand it to you. You are one good working man with many strong talents. cheers

Thanks beek. I'm sure she will love a bug. A6's are quite a bit different, that's for sure!

When shopping for a beetle, pay attention to rust the most. Bugs are very solid and serviceable, but when you have a lot of rust, they are a nightmare. The place to look for rust is the part the running boards are bolted to. If the bottoms of those are rotten or have obvious signs of bondo, pass on the car. A little rust under the battery is usually found, and is a pretty simple fix. Rusty fenders can be replaced cheaply also if needed. Front end damage is a very tough fix. Motors are pretty simple swap out's if bad. Interiors can be replaced cheaply as well. Look to see if there are rubber seals under the deck lids. If not there, pass on the vehicle. A bad sign.

It's time to do our 70 again. Of course it has the rust at the side of the drivers floor. I wish you were near with all your tools and know how. We redid it about 20 or more years ago but the humidity and salt air is brutal. Mechanically she is sound though.

omgawsh...rust and collision damage is done before i get it lol please hahaha...iv sprayed a couple beetles...even a couple new ones(more from minimal to moderate damage and not allovers maybe a little 600/grey scotch brite and blend jobs ya know)...

Man though with rust etc i will only do one myself(or in the past...maybe in the future idk lol) I have to do perfect and frame off in pieces sandblast...not many people today are willing to pay for that...even for big dollar auctions...thats why im a paint rep...I argue a lot because my passion is perfection...even when its not necessary...I really do admire your work. Looks fantastic.

Even with frame offs compared to the ordinary type of body restore no more time is in it especially considering the kind of chassis work along with suspension. I have a private spot with booths i can use in a large trucking company shop(on the indiana ohio state line) that has been reserved for me and an old boss of mine for years if we ever feel the want to jump back into restore work lol

Im really pretty burned out on it. Big part due to the economy and the only way i can do things and sleep at night...

I never did engine work(on the big auction jobs) although i have a big time vw guy in van wert ohio that has the engine stuff down good...he'll even trade for diamond plate lol use to be a big thing at the ambulance shop at worked at for 6 years lol he's got buggys too...

I do love what you have done!!!

Thanks beek. I'm sure she will love a bug. A6's are quite a bit different, that's for sure!

When shopping for a beetle, pay attention to rust the most. Bugs are very solid and serviceable, but when you have a lot of rust, they are a nightmare. The place to look for rust is the part the running boards are bolted to. If the bottoms of those are rotten or have obvious signs of bondo, pass on the car. A little rust under the battery is usually found, and is a pretty simple fix. Rusty fenders can be replaced cheaply also if needed. Front end damage is a very tough fix. Motors are pretty simple swap out's if bad. Interiors can be replaced cheaply as well. Look to see if there are rubber seals under the deck lids. If not there, pass on the vehicle. A bad sign.

This is an essentual list to use for a good bug/beetle...very nice...thats a piece to save! thank you